Thread: What's the slowest you've expanded?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default What's the slowest you've expanded?

We all know about playing the fast game, blitzing your way across the map. This is not that thread, but rather the opposite - about the slowest game you've played.

I pretty much play only migrated-Epeiros campaigns nowadays, trying out various Hellenistic factions that didn't make the original cut in EB1. The most enduring is Pergamon, probably because it only just failed to get in the game in the first place. But the slowest I've done is with the Bosporan Kingdom - I started the game with Pantikapaion and Tanais and spent 15 years - 60 turns - just building my economy and having no army at all, hoping the AI would leave me alone. Given both had stone walls, the Sauromatae did just that, often wandering over, taking a look, then wandering off again. Only then did I take Chersonesos, which I sat on for another 20 turns or so consolidating my gains. I also play in M/M difficulty which helps.

I've got a Pergamon game at around 252BC, but I'm already thinking about going back to an earlier save and doing things more slowly, not moving out of Mysia before 262BC and not taking Nikaia (since it was a rival independent kingdom for most of Pergamon's existence). I think I should also give Krete to KH, rather than keeping hold of it as I did, justifying it as a defector to my little league. I'm already rolling in money with Pergamon alone, after all.

So what's the slowest expansion you've ever managed?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-30-2014 at 11:56.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: What's the slowest you've expanded?

I usually wait and build up my economy before attacking usually about 10 or sometimes even 20 years.
    So what's the slowest expansion you've ever managed?
    I think my last Romani campaign only italy and parts of Spain(coast) in 190BC.

Edit:Ahh wait my Saba campaign only home regions in 150 BC .
    Last edited by Thoras; 04-29-2014 at 23:32.

arche seulekeia where i lost the east thats pretty slow since it went even even since i used my resources in mikra asia to get 1 new region for each one i lost

Casse, M/M, 235 BC, no expansion at all, still at peace with Eleutheroi. My one starting city is a trading powerhouse and I'm rolling in gold.

Sometimes I ship an FM to Scandinavia or Spain to wander around on his wheels, spend his money, rent a mob, start a fight for the hell of it, and annoy the German/Spanish locals no end (typical British tourist abroad!)

Arche Seleukeia, VH/VH, reached 176 BC and still did not achieve victory conditions, maybe even not started conquering Greece. It was my first campaign in EB, I still remember some memorable battles of my phalanx against Pahlava horsmen, sometimes winning, sometimes losing, always with high losses. The original family line died out with some crippled faction leader and was replaced by some able and very influential governor.
    Last edited by zenisar; 05-01-2014 at 17:25.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

In my new, slower Pergamon game, I've still got just Mysia in 259BC. Just concluded a war with the Seleukids; at the beginning of the game I'd switched Epeiros' default alliance with the Ptolemies to the Seleukids, and they'd ignored me for the longest time. Within a few seasons of breaking the alliance, they attacked. I defeated several armies, took Ipsos and Sardis and destroyed the military infrastructure (barracks and blacksmith), then walked away. While I don't like the impact of destroying barracks on army compositions, I'm not going to be advancing in that direction (or any direction, for that matter) for a long time, so hopefully by the time things kick off again, they'll have rebuilt proper barracks. Plus stops them depleting their local populations in the meantime.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Although relatively speaking I certainly have a slowest campaign, I fear this is not my thread to get mixed up in...

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Member thankful for this post: