Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medieval 2: Total War Re-release Party

Default Re: Medieval 2: Total War Re-release Party

The only lasting memory I have of MTW2 is:
    Camels!
    Camels with guns!!

What's not to love :)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like coaxing the AI into splitting up their stupid spear stack into a bunch of lone units and then charging each one in turn from every side with my cavalry stack. You can't do that crap in Shogun 2.

yeahhhhh im gonna try the moors again. secure iberia til the pyrennes and go amok as far as constantinople and georgia. camel gunners, granadine jinetes, christian guards, urban militia, dismounted christian guards, lamtuna spearmen.

I'm in.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Medieval 2 was a great game. I think I saw my disk the other day. One thing it had that was really great was a "hot seat" mode where two or more people could take turns on the campaign map against each other. If there is an online version, it would be fun to play the strategic part of the game against another person.

I will definitely be checking in here and in RTW2 as the STW2 forum is a little bit lonely.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

One day to go...

Well, I work an 8 hour shift at my home store, have an hour break, then work an 8 hour shift at a neighboring store tomorrow (and I just found out about it today), so I am gonna break into MIITW a little early and post my 'first impressions'. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Just finished my first full campaign as the English and it was as much fun as I've had in a Total War campaign in quite some time.

Now, to do it again!

To honour the Re-release Party of Medieval 2: Total War organised by totalwar.org, the Europa Barbarorum II team decided to divulge some details from their upcoming mod. I made a little AAR about gameplay in the pre-beta phase.
    The AAR can be found on the following page: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...um-II-AAR-Roma

Enjoy the Party!

Members thankful for this post (6):

So, I begin a new one as the French this time! And I intend for a change of pace to fight all battles this go through.

So far at turn 15 I've grabbed 3 rebel provinces and form alliances with papal state and HRE so I can turn my attention to those english speaking peoples...

Master of the Universe Member LooseCannon1's Avatar

I could only spend a little time yesterday actually playing M2TW. I played about half of my hotseat turn against the AI in Clash of Gods while thinking of ways to destroy @Nightbringer. And that half took a bit of time with all the battles-almost 2 hours. Hotseats are the way more fun way of playing M2TW. Few are as intense as CoG3 is but if anybody's interested sure we could get a new game going in the Throne Room. It's way more challenging to play against humans.

Someone recommend me a good mod for this game (M2). I have the Kingdoms Expansion from some Steam sale at some point and I tried out the big LotR one but I didn't like it. I keep reading good things about Stainless Steel?

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    Someone recommend me a good mod for this game (M2). I have the Kingdoms Expansion from some Steam sale at some point and I tried out the big LotR one but I didn't like it. I keep reading good things about Stainless Steel?
    Stainless Steel rules. Try it.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Assassins Guild Member The Outsider's Avatar

I would really love to join in but Im trying to finish my bloody Msc dessertation Its pissing me off soo bad. Hopefully I should be able to finish by mid-june, if you guys are around then, I will make sure to join. Nonetheless, its good to see such a marry gathering

I'm sure I'll still be playing, and still asking dumb questions!

The only thing coming out that will stop me from playing this is:

EB2 and/or No Man's Sky (which ever comes out 1st).

Members thankful for this post (2):

Okay guys, we need one M2TW general ready to get his hands dirty with a hotseat. We need a new player for the faction of Sicilly in Sword and Cross. We are using Stainless Steel 6.4 Late Era. All the info is in the thread, and you can also check out my hotseat guide stickied in the Throne Room to learn the ropes of hotseat play.

So I started a Long Campaign as Scotland on H/H. I immediately sent all units and two generals south to York beating England to the punch. England diverted their army to Caernarvon. I then sent my troops plus one general to my cog for a little voyage toward London knowing there would be little resistance with England's army off to the west. I narrowly escaped having a naval battle with a rebel fleet and began to storm London. London fell and I killed the enemy king.

The English army set for Caernarvon retreated to Nottingham where they were besieged quite quickly by my forces while my King and some units/mercs set out to take Caernarvon. I decided to starve the Nottingham army while my besieging equipment was ready, this also allowed me to recruit some mercs. To my surprise, I only lost about 18% of my army in this battle (England had almost a full stack) but Nottingham fell and Scotland controlled the mainland with only Inverness and Dublin to take from the rebels. England has been relegated to Caen.

I've stopped here for the time being. My plan is to send forces West (Spain) and Northeast (Denmark) to expand Scotland's reach. I'm undecided if I want to eliminate England right away since I'm spread a bit thin right now and do not think I could effectively maintain land South of London (Caen, Rennes). I hope to update again in a few days but wanted to post before I forgot my great start to my Scottish campaign.

Member thankful for this post:

Well, my 2nd campaign has come to a successful close with the silly french speaking peoples conquering all of Europe. Great fun. Fought every battle which proved a good deal more time consuming than I had expected.

Interestingly I left the English alone, I just build a navy and blockaded them along w/ the Scots and neither made it off the island, well actually what precipitated it was a stack of English landing and then just camping outside Caen, not sure why, but I just never can leave that alone, so destroyed them and then bottled them up for remainder of the campaign.

Near the end got a bit of a scare in Poland/Russia, having never directly encountered the Timurids, boy do they show up en masse with some heavily chevron'd generals and units, fortunately I had an almost equal number (about 6 or 7 full stacks) in the vicinity on the march to capture the requisite number of provinces so I parked a few of them at the border and this apparently convinced them to go terrorize the Denmark, Poland and Russia (which was fine by me since I was doing the same thing).

Great fun, and now, the debate on who to play next begins...
    Last edited by easytarget; 06-02-2014 at 01:14.

Ah, excellent, look forward to hearing how it goes with the Scots, as I've mentioned in another thread I'm part Scot and feel silly it didn't occur to me to play them first, instead of what now will turn out to be 3rd! Ah well, as the saying goes, 3rd time is the charm.

Ah, cool. It is refreshing to see the AI do some smart moves. I've encountered that same move you did with Denmark when I was playing as England, and with the same result as I had left the island thinly defended anticipating only the occasional rebel troubles and they landed and took a couple places from me I then had to move an army back over there to deal with. I thought it was rather cool actually.

Just as I find the game mechanic of throwing in the additional on-going consideration of what the Pope makes of your activities an interesting throttle on what could in the middle game turn into a steam roll otherwise.

All in all, there's a cohesiveness of vision to this one just as there is in Shogun 2 that creates an over all game experience for the player that makes sense. Unlike Rome 2 that feels like it was designed by sub-committees who never talked to each other and then it was all bolted together and shipped.

I've had a blast playing as the French and English so far and look forward to my next campaign, I've taken a medieval breather with a campaign as Oda in Shogun 2 at the moment.

So, are you going to have another go as the Scots?
    Last edited by easytarget; 06-08-2014 at 16:05.

My Byzantine campaign is hectic. I've started conquering the Levant and the Dalmatian coast. However, I'm at war with the Yellow Death (Egypt), Venice, Sicilly and Hungary. And I preemptively sank a Moorish boat with a fullstack of troops, that was sniffing around the Athenian coast. If it weren't for the awesome archers and horse archers the Byz get (and the General's Bodyguards) I'd have lost it by now.

Here's an update on my Scottish campaign. I left off pondering whether to eliminate England (who has been relegated to Caen) or send my forces Northeast (Denmark) or West (Spain). I decided on attacking Leon but surprisingly noticed that Bordeaux was still controlled by rebels and quickly made a UTurn and took Bordeaux with ease.

So where do I go from here? I lost a race to Toulouse and was severely out-manned by the French. I decided to ally with the French so I could concentrate on taking out Spain and Portugal without fear of the French attacking Bordeaux. The French had their hands full with Milan anyhow.

I made the mistake of trying to scoop up both Pamplona AND Zaragoza over the span of two turns. I had no idea that Portugal had already taken Valencia and that was where the majority of their troops had been. Makes obvious sense as to why Pamplona and Zaragoza were lightly protected. Needless to say, Portugal took both Pamplona and Zaragoza back.

Back at the drawing board in Bordeaux and my alliance with the French is in tatters because I MAY have assassinated their heir and got greedy attempting to eliminate the King. Got caught with my hand in the cookie jar!

So with the French wanting retribution for the death of their heir, I'm stuck in a deep hole with little options. Do I strategically take on Portugal, wage war and fend off the French, or abandon Bordeaux? I'm honestly leaning towards attempting to negotiate a truce with the French. My hope is that they will trade Rennes for Bordeaux and then work on eliminating the English.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Megas Domestikos Member AnthoniusII's Avatar

M2TW had never died. In fact more than 4 years earlier i 1st posted in a mod of this game with the name Medieval 2 Total Realism.
    Back then there were not the needed tools or the expirience to make things that are "common" today.
    But new animations, new tools new taxture working technics offer often a result better even than Rome 2 new game.
    In TGC mod we have new animations such new crossbow (not weeled arbalest like Banzai kindly offered to community couple years before) animations , lance waving banners for knights , new horses etc...
    Few years back (when M2TR started to develop) no one could ever imagine something like this.

Or horsemen units with atleast 9 horses in each unit!

Not to mention IWTE tool...and that teams wonderfull help to modding community.

M2TW vanilla game could easily re-newed with a new animation pack and more easthetic units/textures to find the real glory of that game.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; 06-23-2014 at 15:18.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I've done a re-release myself for M2TW, playing it quite a bit in the past days. I've fired up a Novgorod campaign in M2TW Teutonic and I'm having a blast - the unit roster is spectacular, particularly on cavalry. A bit light on infantry but a good mix of spearmen + Boyar Sons should be enough.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12