Thread: Crediting the EB team

Question Crediting the EB team

Hello,

First off I just want to thank you guys for this amazing mod. It was a major influence on leading me towards a classics degree.

Anyways, I am in the preliminary stages of (maybe) writing a novel set in the Iron Age. I will in be using some of the building and unit names as well as using EB to fill in some of the blanks, provided that it alright. I haven't even started yet but I feel dishonest using such thorough research without crediting it. I am sure I am not the first to ask something like this, how would you like to be credited or how have you been in the past? Is there individual members who would like to PM their real name so I can at least acknowledge them? A plug for EB and EB2 in the acknowledgements section of the book, etc?

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Default Re: Crediting the EB team

Hi Tenebrous2.

Thank you for the kind words. I am not entirely sure how to answer your question on crediting EB, however I was wondering what particular terms you were thinking of using from EB? I ask as the "Gaulish" used in EB actually has several innaccuracies in it and I wouldn't wish to see you use such terms and receive criticism in the future.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

I was looking primarily at using the names of Germanic units and buildings rather than generic terms, and also a bit indirectly using the descriptions to fill in some of the minor details my other sources lack, such as the religious elements. It is the language stuff that is most useful, as I have the kind of sources that have great archeological descriptions, but refer to "Arminius" or "Hermann" at best, not such splendid proto-germanic as EB has.

EDIT: I should mention I am going for something like Conn Iggulden's "The Conquerors" series level of historicity, rich in authentic flavor and details, but still historical fiction.

Double Edit: That is his series on Ghengis Khan, not Rome, I haven't read the Rome one, don't judge me if it was terrible ;)

Triple Edit: I also think it was impudent to TELL you guys I am using it, rather than ASKING. I didn't mean it that way and hope I gave no offense.
    Last edited by Tenebrous2; 05-07-2014 at 03:16.

make an aar

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous2 View Post
    I also think it was impudent to TELL you guys I am using it, rather than ASKING. I didn't mean it that way and hope I gave no offense.
    No offense taken. I'm sure I speak for many on the team in saying that it's enormously gratifying when a labor of love such as EB inspires others, and...sometimes....changes their lives.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

@cmacq @TheTank The Germans are your area. Any thoughts or suggestions?

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius