Thread: Something exciting is happening over at TWC that will change M2TW and RTW modding

Cool Something exciting is happening over at TWC that will change M2TW and RTW modding

Hello dear friends of the ORG,

I'd like to draw your attention to two very exciting threads at TWC, concerning new opportunities for modding on both M2TW and RTW. I hope that you will all take a moment to read the Original Posts of each thread, and as much as possible help spread the word, especially to those friends and acquaintance that have the skills and willingness to help out.
    Last edited by UndrState; 05-20-2014 at 18:34.

Default Re: Something exciting is happening over at TWC that will change M2TW and RTW modding

Beg your pardon, I had to wait until my third post to post the links:

Zarathos' "The 'New' Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing" : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Memory-Editing

RedFox's "Unlocking RomeTW Hardcoded Limits - Memory Editing" : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Memory-Editing

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Something exciting is happening over at TWC that will change M2TW and RTW modding

Hello @UndrState and thank you for posting this. Perhaps we will see incredible new versions of Stainless Steel, Third Age and EB 1?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Hello @UndrState and thank you for posting this. Perhaps we will see incredible new versions of Stainless Steel, Third Age and EB 1?
    Wouldn't that be great? There's talk about many new regions, new factions, breaking limits on how many men are in a unit.

Myth, since you're a moderator, I don't suppose you'd know of a prominent way to advertise this on site, maybe in such a way that people in other Org forums could see it? I'd like to think this is the kind of news that anyone who's ever played either of these great games could get excited about, but maybe if they've moved on to games later in the series, they might miss out on this, esp. modders. I don't want to be annoying and start posting everywhere, but I do feel like this is pretty important.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

So if I understand this correctly, the Rome/M2 exe has been disassembled to determine the location of hardcoded values in the data segment, and something is being introduced in a custom .dll that will change these values after the exe is loaded into memory, skirting the "no executable shall be modified" legal requirement. Does CA care if this mechanism is used for other engines? I know somebody that would love to apply this to the MTW engine, and CA never answers my calls...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    So if I understand this correctly, the Rome/M2 exe has been disassembled to determine the location of hardcoded values in the data segment, and something is being introduced in a custom .dll that will change these values after the exe is loaded into memory, skirting the "no executable shall be modified" legal requirement. Does CA care if this mechanism is used for other engines? I know somebody that would love to apply this to the MTW engine, and CA never answers my calls...
    Well, I'm not sure how it's done except that what has been done has been done to the memory of the user. Also, according to the OP of both threads, and backed up by the moderators, this has been green lighted by the forum adminstration and CA. Seems legit, as they say ;)

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Yeah @UndrState we will get a site wide announcement I think. This is indeed significant. @therother can we please get one?

The 200 settlement max, 500 units max limits for M2 really reduce historical accuracy. So much so that DotS tried to copyright permanent stone forts and that whole debacle followed.

Seriously, I can't imagine how much better the map of Europe would be with 500 settlements. The New World wouldn't have to be cut out from Stainless Steel. Heck, it will now be possible to finally map out the Malazan universe or to make the full Westeros.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

That's great news!