Thread: fully placable reinforcements and less boring battle maps

Default fully placable reinforcements and less boring battle maps

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any mods that would address these two issues:

1) When you attack with more than 1 stack, you can only place the first stack before the battle. The remaining units have to slowly appear from the edge of the map. Is there a way to have all of your main and support units placeable before the battle starts? I play as Rome and know that the normal consular army had 2 legions so I want to be able to start each battle with both stacks together.

2) Ever since the first Rome and the move to 3D, I feel like the battle maps have gotten pretty boring. It's 1 bland flat plain, or 1 bland hillside. Maybe there's 1 forest somewhere. If my stack is on or near a bridge, it doesn't seem to force bridge battles. Even while fighting in western Europe the battle maps are so plain and featureless. Maybe sometimes there's a light grey streak which I guess is supposed to represent a road. But there are no small trees, no farm houses, no hedges, no lakes, few trees in general, no hillocks... Basically there are no tactically important terrain features anywhere on almost any of the battle maps I've played (unless it's a city of course).
    Fac et Spera

Default Re: fully placable reinforcements and less boring battle maps

I can tell you that there are infact villages, houses, hedges, little farms and roads and what not on maps that do not have any siege going on on them. Of course these features really are nothing but eyecandy (or annoying because they force you to move your people somewhere else or sometimes useful to create little funnels for the AI to break on and lose 3 units to one of yours)

The downsides are that they are literally nothing other than eyecandy. The AI does not use any of the houses to protect flanks or something like that, the terrain has little to no effect on the speed and manouverability of your units. It literally doesn't matter whether you fight a battle on a flat patch of grass or walk into what looks like a freshly ploughed field during a massive downpour.

I don't know if there are any such mods and if there are, I don't doubt that it would break the battle AI horribly and cause it to not touch its own reinforcements. I don't really mind that part of the game anyways, it's always made sense to me that a reinfocing army comes late, unless its a garrison or something, in which case, you actually do get to place it. The one thing that annoys me is how the game sometimes puts you on really ridiculous battlefields, like literally places that no one would ever fight a battle like that on because it's too hard to manouver or oversee or whatever.

Default Re: fully placable reinforcements and less boring battle maps

I can tell you that there are infact villages, houses, hedges, little farms and roads and what not on maps that do not have any siege going on on them. Of course these features really are nothing but eyecandy (or annoying because they force you to move your people somewhere else or sometimes useful to create little funnels for the AI to break on and lose 3 units to one of yours)

The downsides are that they are literally nothing other than eyecandy. The AI does not use any of the houses to protect flanks or something like that, the terrain has little to no effect on the speed and manouverability of your units. It literally doesn't matter whether you fight a battle on a flat patch of grass or walk into what looks like a freshly ploughed field during a massive downpour.

I don't know if there are any such mods and if there are, I don't doubt that it would break the battle AI horribly and cause it to not touch its own reinforcements. I don't really mind that part of the game anyways, it's always made sense to me that a reinfocing army comes late, unless its a garrison or something, in which case, you actually do get to place it. The one thing that annoys me is how the game sometimes puts you on really ridiculous battlefields, like literally places that no one would ever fight a battle like that on because it's too hard to manouver or oversee or whatever.