Thread: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    yup, this is true, but england wont beat costa rica XD
    https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/...56653080_n.jpg

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

And now England is out. Costa Rico through to the round of 16.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Better luck next time England

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Man, has France been fun to watch so far. Is this surprising, are they doing better than expected, or just weak competition (I know Honduras isn't much of anything but the Swiss have been getting some good press)?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Man, has France been fun to watch so far. Is this surprising, are they doing better than expected, or just weak competition (I know Honduras isn't much of anything but the Swiss have been getting some good press)?
    The Swiss are a little overrated, they are good but they probably shouldn't have been seeded for the draw. The French seem to have recovered nicely from the debacle of 2010.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    France's new coach has done a good job in getting the team to work together better. Their later qualification games were good.
    Wooooo!!!

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Yeah Blanc has done superb work. They are the only team to impress in two games. Argentina, Brazil, Germany have lost a bit of their magic and image as favourites.
    Perhaps France might take over the role as favourite if it keeps playing this way. But I'm rooting for Columbia (After Belgium of course), which is a great team.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! With 12 seconds left! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (5):

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    So close. We're coming for ya Germany! Gonna give you flashbacks to '44!
    Did you also have a German general in '44?
    Apparently a lot of Germans want us both to pass, myself included.

Do we both advance if its a draw? Or only if the portugal v ghana game goes a wierd way?
    The most points Ghana and Portugal can get is 4 (one of them wins their match), which is currently the same number of points the US and ze Germans have. If we draw, we both have 5 points and go through (Germany wins group on goal differential). If Ghana/Portugal draw, we both go through regardless of the outcome of our match since they will both have 2 points. If Ghana wins, the US is in trouble, since we just played a game in the most draining conditions and 1 day less to rest, and chances are Ghana will go through if we lose. If Portugal wins, we probably have them on goal differential. I'm thinking we need at least a draw with Germany to get through, because Ghana is going to beat Portugal.

Member thankful for this post:

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

GHANA FTW. frigging miroslav, i knew he was gonna score when he entered the pitch...

We do not sow.

Chili con Carnage baby. That was a great match not a dull moment.

Mexico through to the next round (go CONCACAF!), while Cameroon is the likely wooden spoon winner unless Honduras gets spanked hard (um, go CONCACAF?).

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Chili con Carnage baby. That was a great match not a dull moment.
    It was, both of the teams are really fun to watch. Would have liked to see a draw, but I guess the Neds are actually a bit better. Could win the tournament if they don't decide they've won enough one or two games from now as they have historically done quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    It was, both of the teams are really fun to watch. Would have liked to see a draw, but I guess the Neds are actually a bit better. Could win the tournament if they don't decide they've won enough one or two games from now as they have historically done quite often.
    There is a lot of fresh blood in the selection who have never played in a world cup and are really motivated to get as far as possible. I think we have the best team at the moment, we might actually have a chance of winning this time. Mexico is next that's going to be really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Yeah Blanc has done superb work. They are the only team to impress in two games. Argentina, Brazil, Germany have lost a bit of their magic and image as favourites.
    Perhaps France might take over the role as favourite if it keeps playing this way. But I'm rooting for Columbia (After Belgium of course), which is a great team.
    I'm sure that Belgium will make it to the next round. What are your thoughts on your next game with South Korea? That team showed that they could score at least.

Did you also have a German general in '44?
    Apparently a lot of Germans want us both to pass, myself included.
    I believe that Eisenhower had some German blood in him.
    Wooooo!!!

I have really enjoyed the games I have watched while at dialysis.
    I was prepared to be distracted but ultimately bored by matches that devolve into all defence and games of "keep-away"; it has been a pleasant surprise to view matches that go hard for 90+mins!
    FIFA may make a believer out of me yet
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Suarez is aware that there are lots of cameras at these games, right?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

The canteen at Anfield can't be that bad...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Penalty, indeed! The grass played rather unfairly, I dare say!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10402627_663388183716628_7135089191670970195_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	13394

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    The most points Ghana and Portugal can get is 4 (one of them wins their match), which is currently the same number of points the US and ze Germans have. If we draw, we both have 5 points and go through (Germany wins group on goal differential). If Ghana/Portugal draw, we both go through regardless of the outcome of our match since they will both have 2 points. If Ghana wins, the US is in trouble, since we just played a game in the most draining conditions and 1 day less to rest, and chances are Ghana will go through if we lose. If Portugal wins, we probably have them on goal differential. I'm thinking we need at least a draw with Germany to get through, because Ghana is going to beat Portugal.
    Portugal is playing surprisingly bad.. or maybe everyone else is just really good, I dunno.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10402627_663388183716628_7135089191670970195_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	13394
    There are plenty of descendants of German immigrants in the U.S., especially in the Midwest. That region has German influence on slang and culture. Listening to German folk music reminds me of the old American country music. In fact, my first girlfriend could've been a tall and sexy German descendant if I had the courage to ask her out when I was a teenager. Many of the immigrants arrived during a time of turmoil in Germany before Germany was unified. (Germany wasn't called Germany before the unification).
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 06-26-2014 at 15:06.
    Wooooo!!!

FIFA dropped the hammer on Suarez, 9 matches (club and country) and a 4 month ban from any footballing activity.

And for some reason Boateng and Muntari got kicked off the Ghana team prior to today's match.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay, so I know I deserve mockery for picking Spain to win the tournament, but.

I am the only one who believed in the USA to come out of the Group of Death as per our predictions. America wins again!
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

What makes you think the USA was in the group of death, only Germany is awesome
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-27-2014 at 06:28.

Ah don't hate. We're gonna win the whole thing!
    Must say that I love the USA getting the worldcup-fever. They do really well. Who knows, maybe it are us Dutchies that have to teach you a lesson to set you straight so you don't drool all over the place. It's going to be interesting to see how far the USA gets, they aren't in the same class as their opponents, which is understandable, but they put up one hell of a fight.

And that's why Klinsmann made the statement your country hated so much. If you're only sending a B-Team and want to win anyway, then you may be confused about your priorities. So far your team managed a victory, a draw and a loss. The dutch team managed three victories and their group was quite a bit harder I'd say.

The next games look quite interesting, wouldn't like to see the hosts get dropped but I'm rooting for Chile, they seem to put a lot more effort into their games and are fun to watch.

You have to remember, the best athletes in America play American Football, or Basketball. When we win the World Cup it will be with our B-Team! Notice, for example, how the Portugal and German teams looked way bigger than our dudes. This was especially hilarious during 2010 against England, who must have had 50 lbs. each on their American counterparts. Its kind of a myth that there's no soccer culture at all though. The northwest rivalries go back a few generations, tangled up in the rise and fall of several different professional leagues. I'm pretty happy to see lots of MLS players on the national team, for sure!

I don't think your guys stand a chance, but I would love to be surprised. So far so good. Even qualifying for the the WC is pretty damn awesome.
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-27-2014 at 10:20.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast