Thread: The disgusting organization that is FIFA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The disgusting organization that is FIFA

AKA why I am glad America doesn't jump for joy over this sadistic sport.

Yes, I am being very hyperbolic. But you know what, the worst that can happen in US sports is for Adam Silver to rig the refs so that they force a game 6 or 7. FIFA promotes the deaths of thousands of slaves.

What a joke if it wasn't so very sad.

EDIT: Before I head off for groceries, I want to pose a question for those that have not seen this thread yet. Can anyone tell me why we allow organizations like FIFA and the IOC to host giant sporting events in underdeveloped countries with atrocious poverty and human rights issues? Why can't we dedicate a few square miles for a neutral ground that hosts the event every time?
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 06-10-2014 at 01:41.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: The disgusting organization that is FIFA

Ugh, I refuse to base anything on what John Oliver says. Do you have any less.... distorted sources? He provides a combination of humor and his own personal bias- neither of which give a very nuanced view of anything. He's good for entertainment value- terrible for informational value.

Mind you, I hate soccer (and most professional sports), so I'm inclined to believe most anything bad about it- but not from him.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 06-10-2014 at 01:34.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Member thankful for this post:

Xiahou 

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Can anyone tell me why we allow organizations like FIFA and the IOC to host giant sporting events in underdeveloped countries with atrocious poverty and human rights issues? Why can't we dedicate a few square miles for a neutral ground that hosts the event every time?
    I think, at least in the case of the IOC, more developed countries are beginning to realize what a colossal waste of money hosting the olympics is.

Third world countries or ones with less than stellar reputations still want the prestige of major events like this- they're less concerned with the financial losses.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Only way to 'fix' FIFA would be to create a new one and have everyone abandon FIFA.

But I have a feeling it would be in the same boat as when the USA talks about the 'World Series' and the only countries participating is them and Canada.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

At that level sports is a money making entertainment machine with lots of snouts in the trough. This is just a very visible view of big business and politics.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Only way to 'fix' FIFA would be to create a new one and have everyone abandon FIFA.

But I have a feeling it would be in the same boat as when the USA talks about the 'World Series' and the only countries participating is them and Canada.
    I think the intention was that other nations would join in eventually, but only Canada has showed up to the party so far. Maybe we should issue invitations. :)

Anyway, American and Canadan If They Managed to Qualify This Year Series just doesn't sound right.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    He's good for entertainment value- terrible for informational value.
    So he's like every other American news network.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

It's not FIFA's fault Brazil built a stadium in Manaus.

FIFA's got a basic strategy, popularisation of football and improvement of football infrastructure.

Brazil improved their football infrastructure and the cost will be offset by money they make. They could have spent the money more wisely, but they didn't and it's their fault. USA managed to make money off the WC, so it's doable.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    It's not FIFA's fault Brazil built a stadium in Manaus.
    Fifa got turned down here because they demanded an extra freeway for FIFA executives. I have little doubt that they demanded to have these slums removed to please their sponsors. If I celebrate this WC I would feel dirty. There is something deeply wrong with FIFA, dirty money laundring.

Well, even if the countries are the ones creating the atrocities, you can blame FIFA for enabling and encouraging them by giving them the events. And FIFA operates from Switzerland, so good luck getting any legal leverage on them. The entire country lives off of managers like Blatter who syphon money off from other parts of the world and bring it there.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Members thankful for this post (2):

Religions tend to frown upon participating in other religions. As most Americans already worship at the big organized churches like the NFL and/or NBA and/or MLB, futbol will continue to be a minority cult here.

And these religions put on the pressure early. The competitive baseball coach (me) pressured my boys to limit their soccer participation so they could be in more baseball. The high school basketball coach pressures them now to leave football alone so they can get an early start on basketball.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Fifa officials arrested on corruption charges as World Cup probe launched

http://gu.com/p/499vk

Fifa is indeed a really ugly organisation. Not just because the corruption but also because of the horrible working-conditions of the guys building the stadiums in Qatar. Hundreds have died, how can you look away from that, these are human-beings. I celebrate the first country that refuses to play there.

edit, text doesn't matter, picture does http://www.powned.tv/nieuws/sport/20..._opgepakt.html
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-27-2015 at 11:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I celebrate the first country that refuses to play there.
    Even if it is the Netherlands?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Even if it is the Netherlands?

Would love it, human rights are more important than money, I am not going to watch it, it's tainted with misery

edit, more calls for a boycot it seems. If the A-teams like Italy, France, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, etc just stay home than what is left of the World Championship. And seriously, Qatar?? Fifa would have a gigantic problem if there are only B-teams playing.
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-28-2015 at 08:20.

I hope the ones arrested cave in and bring the entire leadership down.

Looks like the US uncovered plans that reveal that South Africa paid FIFA to host the World Cup in 2010.

And perhaps Blatter may not win the presidential election, although I wonder if anyone who is considered for the job has not already taken bribes from someone.