Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The disgusting organization that is FIFA

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: The disgusting organization that is FIFA

Nice gif. This isn't about terrorism but about corporate and political espianage Hus, and Gernany is into it. There have been numerous lawcases about it, also in Germany. Air-France was pretty pissed of that they were being monitored. And it wasnlt the nsa collecting it they just got it. But granted, Merkel got an NSA-free blackberrie, how could they. Stern one.
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-30-2015 at 14:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Nice gif. This isn't about terrorism but about corporate and political espianage Hus, and Gernany is into it. There have been numerous lawcases about it, also in Germany. Air-France was pretty pissed of that they were being monitored. And it wasnlt the nsa collecting it they just got it. But granted, Merkel got an NSA-free blackberrie, how could they. Stern one.
    I thought it was about FIFA corruption and the USA finally doing something about it after Europe ignored it for centuries.
    Merkel is actually one of the more valid targets to spy on, I only ever complained about the NSA spying on normal people.
    I'm not even arguing about your reminder that all people are scumbags and that we should remove ourselves and leave this world to gaia and her better creatures.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Nothing is gonna happen in the end. They have too much power and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I thought it was about FIFA corruption and the USA finally doing something about it
    (current) topic is, your post wasn't
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-02-2015 at 07:36.

(current) topic is, your post wasn't
    It was, I already explained why and how.
    There's a case where the US do a good thing and I make a positive joke about it and you accuse me of being a hypocrite for no good reason...why do you hate me?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Blatter has resigned. So even if the investigation goes nowhere, it's not a complete failure.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Members thankful for this post (2):

No surpprise there, his underkings weere never going to protect a man that is that old. I hope the FiFA shapes up when it comes to some basic humanity. He should spend the last days of his life in jail imho
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-02-2015 at 20:37.

Byebye Blatter. I hope this isn't the end of the investigations.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

So, Chuck Blazer admitted to receiving bribes for 1998 World Cup (France) to vote for Morocco and 2010 (South Africa) to vote for South Africa. Aside from that, he also admitted to receiving bribes for broadcast rights for 5 CONCACAF Gold Cups.

Aside from 2012 FIFA report, that Australia tried to bribe CONCACAF and Oceania delegates to host the 2022 World Cup (which may or may not be true), this is generally centered on CONCACAF.

It will be interesting to see this unfolding.

Also, it will be interesting to see what is defined as a "bribe". Australia, allegedly, didn't offer money to any one person, but wanted to sponsor the local associations with a lot of money. Amount of 500,000$, for instance, was paid directly to CONCACAF "to fund a feasibility study to develop a centre of excellence in Trinidad & Tobago", whatever that means. I'd be amazed if that didn't happen all the time over the last several decades.

In the end, I think that Blatter was right when he said that none of this would have happened if FIFA awarded WC 2018 and 2022 to US and UK.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    So, Chuck Blazer admitted to receiving bribes for 1998 World Cup (France) to vote for Morocco and 2010 (South Africa) to vote for South Africa. Aside from that, he also admitted to receiving bribes for broadcast rights for 5 CONCACAF Gold Cups.

Aside from 2012 FIFA report, that Australia tried to bribe CONCACAF and Oceania delegates to host the 2022 World Cup (which may or may not be true), this is generally centered on CONCACAF.
    It's probably centered on CONCACAF because that's the easiest for the FBI to follow the money in, and the greater chance that money passed through US jurisdiction. Blazer was an juicy target due to his obvious tax-evasion, and if there's one the the US government really, truly cares about, it's tax evasion.

Also, it will be interesting to see what is defined as a "bribe". Australia, allegedly, didn't offer money to any one person, but wanted to sponsor the local associations with a lot of money. Amount of 500,000$, for instance, was paid directly to CONCACAF "to fund a feasibility study to develop a centre of excellence in Trinidad & Tobago", whatever that means.
    It probably means Jack Warner pocketed the cash.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Ah the beautiful game.

Money that is, Wall Street Green, London Silver Sterling, and apparently AU Gold.

Yes there is a chemist joke in there :D
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

So, Chuck Blazer admitted to receiving bribes for 1998 World Cup (France) to vote for Morocco and 2010 (South Africa) to vote for South Africa.
    Are you sure this guy was Chuck Blazer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chuck-Blazer-008.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	15533
    and not Kolomoysky:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kolom 2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	15534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kolom 3.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	15535 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kolom 4.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	15536
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Even after all the corruption is exposed and cleaned up, FIFA is still a joke until teams can challenge calls made by a referee.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

In the end, I think that Blatter was right when he said that none of this would have happened if FIFA awarded WC 2018 and 2022 to US and UK.
    That may be true, but not in the way he meant. Awarding the Cups to Russia and Qatar, especially after the spectacular let down that was Socci, made it impossible to ignore how pervasive the corruption was.

They may now need to change the venues, especially given that Russia and Qatar may not actually be able to deliver.

The UK would be a prime contender in that case, as would Germany and then the US because we already have all the required infrastructure, it just needs a bit of a refit
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

Hell, most of the refits are already done, what with the Olympic stadium's being recently converted into a football club.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-04-2015 at 17:10.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    That may be true, but not in the way he meant. Awarding the Cups to Russia and Qatar, especially after the spectacular let down that was Socci, made it impossible to ignore how pervasive the corruption was.

They may now need to change the venues, especially given that Russia and Qatar may not actually be able to deliver.

The UK would be a prime contender in that case, as would Germany and then the US because we already have all the required infrastructure, it just needs a bit of a refit
    The thing with Qatar is that it is actually impossible to play football at that time of the year there.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Even after all the corruption is exposed and cleaned up, FIFA is still a joke until teams can challenge calls made by a referee.
    One needs to be very careful with that. It erodes the authority of the referees.

Additionally, football is a mass sport. Even a tiny Montenegro has 3 leagues (tiers), a few dozen professional clubs and a several dozen more amateur clubs. Football is not just EPL or La Liga or Serie A or Champions League or World Cup.

Actually, from organizational point of view, Sochi was a huge success. Some journalists complained about accommodation but they praised how transportation was organized (it took significantly less time to reach different venues). Athletes also praised the venues and accommodation.

The problem of terrorist threats isn't really something Russia had influence over. Terrorists will make threats.

Whether all that was worth 50bn is another issue, but that is again Russia's problem. If they're happy with it, I don't see why anyone else should have a problem.

Even if there was an absolute consensus, there is no time to pick a new a new host for 2018. 2022 possibly, but even that is pushing it.

Bribes or no bribes, Qatar is a terrible choice for many reasons, but one that has been made. We should stick with it.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 06-04-2015 at 18:44.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

At a stretch I would say the UK or Germany could host a World Cup in two years. Bear in mind that the UK only recently hosted the Olympics, so we already have modern infrastructure to cope with spectators and journalists, and more than sufficient stadia to actually hold the tournament.

In the UK especially motivation would be EXTREMELY High and corruption would not be an issue.

It would be hard work, but I would say the UK could comfortably be ready by 2018 and not still hanging doors on hotel rooms.

As to 2022 - there are a dozen countries who could be ready for that in time without breaking a sweat.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

At a stretch I would say the UK or Germany could host a World Cup in two years.

It would be hard work, but I would say the UK could comfortably be ready by 2018 and not still hanging doors on hotel rooms.
    It's not the infrastructure, it's the economic aspect - namely sponsorships which are already signed. These things are done years in advance. The business world has been getting ready and investing accordingly for a World Cup in Russia.

Not to mention that even if wrongdoings are eventually proved for 2018 and 2022 WC, it is a process that would take years, and it would be naive to expect that FIFA would or could cancel the largest sporting event on the planet because there is an ongoing investigation, which so far doesn't offer any indication that Russia or Qatar used bribes.

FIFA is also big on self policing. Current scandal aside, it would be a dangerous precedent if FIFA changed such important decisions because a few delegates have been charged/and or convicted of a taking a bribe. What happens tomorrow if a delegate is convicted in Brazil, Argentina, Israel, Jamaica, South Korea, Montenegro, Botswana etc... Are we gonna change hosts of a WC every time that happens? If I'm not mistaken, FIFA is only legally obliged by a Swiss court.

Additionally, bribes in some way, shape or form have been used by everybody. Australia paying half a million dollars for a feasibility study that costs most probably between 20,000 and 50,000? It's not a 10% difference, it's 10 or 20 times as much. No one can tell me they were that naive. If someone would seriously comb everything he would find such examples in probably all bids ("Hey, Jamaica, this is England. Yes, it's been a long time, but do you have some projects you need funded in the near future? Yes... Aha... Ok... We've got it. Expect the money in the next 48 hours. Why? Well, we were just thinking of you. No other reason at all. Keep fighting the good fight and keep us in your thoughts. If you remember some other project, just call. No problem at all. Yes, we have to go now, Saint Kits and Nevis is on the other line. Hey Saint Kits and Nevis, this is England. Yes, it's been a long time...) <--- These are "nice" bribes.

All in all, zero chance for a change in 2018 and most probably for 2022.

The only reason why Qatar might be under discussion is apparently appaling human rights violations regarding the workers. The temperature can't be a reason because that was known and should/must have been taken into account back then. The climate in Qatar didn't change in the last few years. Abysmal decision to give WC to Qatar, but I don't see a way out.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 06-04-2015 at 20:24.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Considering it is the same business world implicated in the bribes, tough.

Play with fire, you get burnt.

Modern day slavery, corruption, bribery and apparently death threats... Although the last is probably to divert attention from hand caught in the till.

I'm sure the EU as a whole could hold the next World Cup with ease. Maybe by using entire regions for group matches it would reduce corruption.

It's a combination of fan base (huge marketing = money), concentration of power and practically lifetime tenure of those at the top with a culture that is neither transparent nor accountable.

The Swiss government should be ashamed for hosting the HQ.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Abysmal decision to give WC to Qatar, but I don't see a way out.
    Cancel the World Cup. But as Strike mentioned earlier in the thread: soccer > poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Cancel the World Cup.
    Absolutily. Even if it is for practical reasons, it's just too hot there.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    The Swiss government should be ashamed for hosting the HQ.
    Not only for that.
    While I find the Swiss admirable in a way for their freedom-loving etc., they also show a great amount of selfishness from Nazi gold to modern dictators, educating Kim Jong Un etc. They will apparently support/host almost everyone with money regardless of the crimes and atrocities these people commit elsewhere.
    Yes, in a way it is neutrality to the extreme, but you could say evil thrives when good people are neutral to such an extreme...

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    The thing with Qatar is that it is actually impossible to play football at that time of the year there.
    I heard they are going to furnish every stadium with air conditioning.

It's not the infrastructure, it's the economic aspect - namely sponsorships which are already signed. These things are done years in advance. The business world has been getting ready and investing accordingly for a World Cup in Russia.
    As recent developments connected with the Ukraine crisis show, business deals and agreements with Russia may (and tend to) be overlooked because of non-business (namely political) issues. Russia has suffered it once, so it will lump it again if needs be. The same with its business partners. The same refers to Qatar.

And here comes Ireland:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...isis-live.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I heard they are going to furnish every stadium with air conditioning.
    Who is running in the thredmills to power that.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Who is running in the thredmills to power that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_2...up_bid#Weather

As recent developments connected with the Ukraine crisis show, business deals and agreements with Russia may (and tend to) be overlooked because of non-business (namely political) issues. Russia has suffered it once, so it will lump it again if needs be. The same with its business partners. The same refers to Qatar.
    Yeah, politics and sport shouldn't stay separate whenever possible.

This is a deeply-confusing sentiment that betrays an ignorance of the nature of organized sport in history. If you want less politics in your sports, then don't support globe-trotting billion-dollar teams. Go watch kids play in the park instead.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If you want to know what SHOULD be done, read the Ten Commandments. We speak here of the real world and what IS done in it.
    And FBI means business:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/spo...tleblower.html

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    This is a deeply-confusing sentiment that betrays an ignorance of the nature of organized sport in history. If you want less politics in your sports, then don't support globe-trotting billion-dollar teams. Go watch kids play in the park instead.
    Well, thanks for clearing it up for me in my ignorance.

Just because it can't be prevented all the time, doesn't mean I'm gonna start thinking of ways to actively encourage it.

If you want to know what SHOULD be done, read the Ten Commandments. We speak here of the real world and what IS done in it.
    And FBI means business:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/spo...tleblower.html
    I particularly like those are afraid for their lives who give newspaper interviews.

Qatar may be stripped of WC, but that would be a massive mistake on part of FIFA. The only legitimate reason to do that is if the reported extent of inhumane working conditions is actually true.

Once it becomes a precedent, bad things will happen...

Bad choice, but it was made. Deal with it and focus your reforms so that doesn't happen any more.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast