Thread: Are there female warriors in the Scythian units?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Are there female warriors in the Scythian units?

I've no idea whether they're even supported in M2TW, but do the Scythian units have female warriors in them? We know that amongst the nomadic Scythians/those originating from the Scythians men and women both fought, which excited lots of comment from Greek observers. In an ideal world, I'd expect to see men and women in Scythian horse-archer units, for example.

But is this even possible? Was it a goal of the team to include them?

I'm guessing even if you could get some of the sprites to be women, you can't make Family Members (as in the leaders, rather than daughters to marry off) female?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 06-17-2014 at 10:17.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Are there female warriors in the Scythian units?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    But is this even possible? Was it a goal of the team to include them?
    IIRC there were plans for a female horse-archer unit in EB1, but it was never made. While M2:TW's graphics seem to allow for females individuals within units, there is a problem. The engine creates individual soldiers by randomly combining heads with torsos: there is no way to tell it to combine female heads with female torsos only. So if there are female archers in EB2, I'd expect them have a somewhat androgynous appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I'm guessing even if you could get some of the sprites to be women, you can't make Family Members (as in the leaders, rather than daughters to marry off) female?
    It's possible, but there's a similar problem. There's no way to tell the engine that these family members should marry men rather than women. Also, on the battlefield they will use the default general's model.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Member thankful for this post:

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: Are there female warriors in the Scythian units?

Ah, confounded by the engine again. I guess the best we might have hoped for is a unit of "maidens" for one of the light horse-archers.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: Are there female warriors in the Scythian units?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    While M2:TW's graphics seem to allow for females individuals within units, there is a problem. The engine creates individual soldiers by randomly combining heads with torsos: there is no way to tell it to combine female heads with female torsos only. So if there are female archers in EB2, I'd expect them have a somewhat androgynous appearance.
    It is possible, but at the cost of diversity, you would have to explicitly combine the model parts in the model file.

We might try to do that for a unit or two, where soldier diversity isn't a issue but until now we couldn't.

Member thankful for this post: