Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: If your child is not vaccinated, they should be barred from attending public school

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default If your child is not vaccinated, they should be barred from attending public school

I am a firm believer that people need to be protected from themselves sometimes. This is one of those times
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: If your child is not vaccinated, they should be barred from attending public scho

But there is a chance that your child will die or become autistic should they take the vaccine!

Actually, I think the number of unvaccinated children harmed by perfectly preventable diseases exceeds the number who might die of an allergic reaction to taking the vaccine -- and the autism thing has ZERO statistically valid support -- but some folks try not to let themselves get confused by pesky facts.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: If your child is not vaccinated, they should be barred from attending public scho

This subject makes me really mad, so I am just going to thank the OP and leave it at that.

Lemur 

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Nope. I believe that people have a right to control what is forcibly injected into their bodies. Do I take vaccination? Oh heck yea, for certain illnesses you might be crazy not to. Should the uneducated public be voting on what is forced on other people? Hell no.

An intelligent and decent parent vaccinates their children. There is no link between vaccination and autism. Unvaccinated children do not often enough become horribly I'll and die to mandate this, though. We are talking here about mandating an HPV vaccination for people.... Not something to prevent hemmorhagic fever. It always comes back to force. Are you guys that completely out of tricks?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 06-27-2014 at 23:46.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    But there is a chance that your child will die or become autistic should they take the vaccine!
    Relevant link explaining how vaccines causes autism.

Anyway, the child should not be banned from school. Rather, we should do what we do with that kooky Christian sect who refuses blood transfers - temporarily remove custody from the parents, give it to the state, inject vacines, hand kids back to parents.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

BTW, this is the kind of moronic consensus I vote for representatives to go to Congress to block.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Considering HPV is rampant in the US, can cause Cervical Cancer, and is one of the few STDs that a condom is less effective against, I'd say mandating that particular vaccination would be a great boon for public health. There are cities in America where as many as 1/4 of sexually active women have HPV. The stats are probably similar for dudes, but because of certain annual medical procedures that men don't have to worry about the stats are much more reliable for women. So I wouldn't use that as an example, its actually a pretty big problem.

Really that's kind of the point, in the end. This isn't about the health of the children that aren't being vaccinated, its about the children around them. Unvaccinated kids give viruses a place to hang out and mutate and come into contact with other people over time. Total and wide-spread vaccination can make some diseases completely extinct, but a few stubborn fools can ruin it for everyone.
    "We demand to inject you - for the greater good."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Considering HPV is rampant in the US, can cause Cervical Cancer, and is one of the few STDs that a condom is less effective against, I'd say mandating that particular vaccination would be a great boon for public health. There are cities in America where as many as 1/4 of sexually active women have HPV. The stats are probably similar for dudes, but because of certain annual medical procedures that men don't have to worry about the stats are much more reliable for women. So I wouldn't use that as an example, its actually a pretty big problem.

Really that's kind of the point, in the end. This isn't about the health of the children that aren't being vaccinated, its about the children around them. Unvaccinated kids give viruses a place to hang out and mutate and come into contact with other people over time. Total and wide-spread vaccination can make some diseases completely extinct, but a few stubborn fools can ruin it for everyone.
    One in four? Nah man, it's more like 3 in 4. HPV is one of those viruses we 'all' have - except nuns. It doesn't really affect us, apart from getting stuff to grow inside bewbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    "We demand to inject you - for the greater good."
    We will also take your baby away if you refuse to give it nutrition.

I see no difference.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 06-28-2014 at 00:36.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Absolutily agree.

A child needs food to live. If you deprive it of food you are unduly endangering your child.

It doesn't need vaccines. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get your kids vaccinated.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A child needs food to live. If you deprive it of food you are unduly endangering your child.

It doesn't need vaccines. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get your kids vaccinated.
    Here's the thing; a child does need vaccines in order to survive. Just like they need food to survive.

Deprive them of either, and yes, you are in danger of killing your offspring.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Here's the thing; a child does need vaccines in order to survive. Just like they need food to survive.

Deprive them of either, and yes, you are in danger of killing your offspring.
    Nonsense. What you've just said is untrue.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree that parents who don't do the research about vaccines are possibly doing their children a disservice. But there are risks to vaccines. More for some than others. More for certain children than others. People should never be forced to be vaccinated against their will.

They should be encouraged to do the due diligence and come to the correct conclusion. They should be informed by medical professionals what that conclusion is most likely to be. If thr vaccination is in the public interest, it can even be made affordable or free. But you lose me at compulsion with penalties
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 06-28-2014 at 00:46.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nonsense. What you've just said is untrue.
    Yeah, go ahead and ask the 19th century mother of 9 who watched two of her offspring reach adulthood what she thinks of it.

Or go to Africa.

I agree that parents who don't do the research about vaccines are possibly doing their children a disservice. But there are risks to vaccines. More for some than others. People should never be forced to be vaccinated against their will.
    Again, I refer you to my previously posted link.

There's risk involved in eating as well. Huge risk, in fact. You can get a ton of diseases from eating. I say we stop doing it.

Any 18-year old or above airhead should be free to be as stupid as they want with their own bodies. They do not, however, have the right to be equally stupid with the bodies of other individuals. Having managed to squirt some semen in the correct place at one point in time does not make you the master of life and death.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 06-28-2014 at 00:47.

Yeah, go ahead and ask the 19th century mother of 9 who watched two of her offspring reach adulthood what she thinks of it.

Or go to Africa.

Again, I refer you to my previously posted link.

There's risk involved in eating as well. Huge risk, in fact. You can get a ton of diseases from eating. I say we stop doing it.
    Vaccines have inarguably been beneficial to humanity. Advancements in sanitation and nutrition have contributed to the reduction of child mortality to a much greater extent than vaccines, however.

You are wrong to support the forcible injection of people against their will. You would be right to strongly encourage vaccination.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 06-28-2014 at 02:23.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vaccines have inarguably been beneficial to humanity. Nutritional advancements have arguably contributed to the reduction of child mortality to a much greater extent than vaccines, however.

You are wrong to support the forcible injection of people against their will. You would be right to strongly encourage vaccination.
    Infant mortality, no. Child mortality, yes.

I support the forcible injection of food, water, education, vaccines, blood transfusions and probably a few others I forget about. I am indeed Hitler in disguise.

You guys hate free action almost as a rule. Rates of acute disease have dropped dramatically over the past 100 years. You make it seem like we are staring down the abyss because some parents are making controversial decisions about their children's healthcare. The second someone doesn't listen to your arguments, the world is on the brink and they must be forced to comply. Your positions are ludicrous and your political opinions are dangerous and abusive of the rights of others.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am required to take far more vaccination injections and a greater variety than the general public due to working in health/hospitals. If I didn't, I would be a total idiot and would be negligence on part of myself and my employers.

Vaccinations work and do a ton of good, especially for a lot of dreadful diseases. The 'moronic' solution would not to take vaccines so when there is a need for mass-scale vaccination, it should be compulsory. As for HPV, don't get started on the idiocy where those oppose assume their children would never have sexual contact in their lives.

You make it seem like we are staring down the abyss because some parents are making controversial decisions about their children's healthcare.
    Break-down of Herd immunity is actually evident with the resurgence of many illnesses, because of highly misinformed parents who don't know what is for the best.
    Last edited by Beskar; 06-28-2014 at 01:05.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (4):

You guys hate free action almost as a rule. Rates of acute disease have dropped dramatically over the past 100 years. You make it seem like we are staring down the abyss because some parents are making controversial decisions about their children's healthcare. The second someone doesn't listen to your arguments, the world is on the brink and they must be forced. Your positions are ludicrous and your political opinions are dangerous and abusive.
    Yes, I have already said I'm Hitler in disguise.

The thing is, you're not arguing in favour of an individuals right to choose for themselves. You are arguing in favour of an individuals right to force others to do as they want.

I do not recognize that right. The cost for the individual choosing is nil. The cost for the individual who is forced to accept the choice is, ultimately, death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    I am required to take far more vaccination injections and a greater variety than the general public due to working in health/hospitals. If I didn't, I would be a total idiot and would be negligence on part of myself and my employers.

Vaccinations work and do a ton of good, especially for a lot of dreadful diseases. The 'moronic' solution would not to take vaccines so when there is a need for mass-scale vaccination, it should be compulsory. As for HPV, don't get started on the idiocy where those oppose assume their children would never have sexual contact in their lives.
    I'm not 100% against vaccinations for certain types of employment, mostly because that employment isn't compelled. For nearly every american, public education is compelled. You effectively have no choice unless you are wealthy enough to put your kids in private school.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes, I have already said I'm Hitler in disguise.

The thing is, you're not arguing in favour of an individuals right to choose for themselves. You are arguing in favour of an individuals right to force others to do as they want.

I do not recognize that right. The cost for the individual choosing is nil. The cost for the individual who is forced to accept the choice is, ultimately, death.
    Never said anything about Hitler.

Its just that nearly every argument you co e up with includes compulsion of others actions

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Never said anything about Hitler.

Its just that nearly every argument you co e up with includes compulsion of others actions
    Just like I will force people to educate their kids.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Vaccines have inarguably been beneficial to humanity. Nutritional advancements have arguably contributed to the reduction of child mortality to a much greater extent than vaccines, however.
    QE1 nearly died from a disease that has now been eradicated from the wild thanks to vaccination programmes. Said disease is probably the biggest killer in history. And that's just one of a number of lethal diseases that vaccination treats.

Are you trying to convince me that vaccines are a great advancement in medical science. I'm convinced

Are you trying to convince me that it is of the utmost importance to FORCE other peoples children to get vaccinated? No, I do not accept

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    QE1 nearly died from a disease that has now been eradicated from the wild thanks to vaccination programmes. Said disease is probably the biggest killer in history. And that's just one of a number of lethal diseases that vaccination treats.
    George Washington as well, IIRC.

Obviously a poorly fed man.

Are you trying to convince me that vaccines are a great advancement in medical science. I'm convinced

Are you trying to convince me that it is of the utmost importance to FORCE other peoples children to get vaccinated? No, I do not accept
    But somehow, you fully support peoples 'right' to FORCE me not to get vaccinated.

How on earth can other people be given the right to make decisions that will ultimately kill me?

But somehow, you fully support peoples 'right' to FORCE me not to get vaccinated.
    What? Although you are able to be vaccinated, thus reducing the likelihood that you will not contract disease x - the decision of another not to get vaccinated is the equivalent of FORCING you not to get vaccinated?

My issue with modern political arguments is that they are not really arguments for good ideas - they are arguments for the forcible compulsion of those good ideas on others.

This is exacly why the GOP voters have sent defensive linemen into Congress. We need to ensure that you go nowhere with the ball.

Focus your energy on helpful encouragement and the spread of good ideas through fair play and you will have a supporter.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 06-28-2014 at 01:13.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to put it out there, if your own children ended up getting ill because a strain mutated in a bunch of kids whose parents refused to get them vaccinated, causing them to start sweating with a fever, red-eyes, showing a rash, one of them even showing signs of encephalitis, would you still be holding your position?

After all, this only came about because of those refusing free vaccinations at their school, complete negligence by the parents involved. It would be like opposing compulsory wearing of seat-belts, a similar-style of law in place to protect drivers and passengers.
    Last edited by Beskar; 06-28-2014 at 01:16.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

What?
    You want to give my parents the right to force me not to get vaccinated.

I would rather give the state the right to force me to get vaccinated.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Smallpox was eradicated through mandatory vaccination, including banning the less effective inoculation even where the resident people preferred this to the more unfamiliar vaccination. I wouldn't want to see that running around again, in the name of freedom of choice.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast