Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So desired but very disappointing game that you have ever played?

Default So desired but very disappointing game that you have ever played?

Guys,

What was the most desired game that you eagerly wanted to play but became a great disappointment later? What was the most annoying thing about it?

What made you to dislike it: the short or dull story, the inability to be played even on the most advanced hardware, the poor graphic or something else?

For me it was the Rebel Assault because the game featured groundbreaking full motion video sequences, but played poorly on even the most advanced hardware, with blocky, pixelated images and jumpy frame rates, short and relatively dull story and etc.

Please comment.

Blog Entries

Default Re: So desired but very disappointing game that you have ever played?

Mass effect 3... that is all.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Master of Orion 3, such a let down after MoO2. Playing it felt like I was a bureaucratic government employee, and since I already had a job in RL my time with the game was pretty short. Gah.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Mass effect 3... that is all.
    Only the last 10 minutes though. The dozens of hours I put into it before the ending were fantastic.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fable 3, it destroyed the Fable franchise by removing everything that was good from Fable 2 and 1 then replacing it with a huge steaming turd. The horrendous menu-system and 101 dlcs made it worse, purposefully cutting included content just to sell it at an overcharged price.

Some of the more 'revolutionary mechanics' were as revolutionary as finding a 5 year old scribbling over a picture. You would slaughter 100 Balverines and the stat upgrade you would get your 'personalised weapon' with "you swam 0.8 meters!", stats and text being absolutely terrible and not reflecting your character in the slightest.
    Last edited by Beskar; 07-31-2014 at 17:23.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

In recent experience, I found Rome 2 very disappointing. I've moved from the CA pre-order camp to the I won't buy another game from them until it's at least a year old and on sale. CA is dead to me at this point.

And as I've said before, I'm really fine with that, I've got MTW2 Stainless Steel, the soon to be released EB2, and my all time favorite Shogun 2 to play to my hearts content, they could honestly never make another game and I'd be fine with that.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Thief: Deadly Shadows. What a turd did that turn out to be. Huge fan of the first two, absolutily hated the third. Small levels, poor AI, horrible physic, no rope arrow wtf, in general uninspired. The awesomness of the Cradle didn't save it from being a step back in just about everything. Bioshock was also a huge dissapointment but that is probably due to me expecting a spiritual succesor of the System-Shock series. Not a bad game, just not what I hoped it would be.
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-01-2014 at 06:01.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

rome 2.

probably some more, but rome2 is the most recent.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Only the last 10 minutes though. The dozens of hours I put into it before the ending were fantastic.
    Oh, what happened in the last 10 minutes?

They really messed up the ending. Basically the ending was hyped up to be reliant on the culmination of all your choices in all the three games, but in the end they just have you three bland options that seemingly resulted in basically the same things, very similar ending cutscenes that just left a very bad taste in everyone's mouths.

Rumor has it that instead of a panel of writers working on the ending, it was just the head writer and he refused any input about his ending. Don't know if it's true but it would explain things.

There actually is a mod that replaces the ending with something a lot better, it's called the Happy Endings mod and I was fortunate enough to not have quite such a bitter taste in my mouth with the modded ending.

All in all though the trilogy is overall amazing and by far some of the best storytelling in a game I have ever seen.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

That ending is a significant improvement.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Every TW game since MTW.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Members thankful for this post (3):

The most recent? Rome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    In recent experience, I found Rome 2 very disappointing. I've moved from the CA pre-order camp to the I won't buy another game from them until it's at least a year old and on sale.
    This pretty much.

Mass Effect 3 was kind of so-so but they didn't botch that entirely imo. I didn't have the misfortune of playing it with the original ending though.

Dead Space 3? I'm not the kind of person who likes playing survival horror games, so the first game of the series was sufficiently scary for me, which I enjoyed. The second game was even better, which was... even better. The third one was really bleh and action shootery and kind of a disappointment.
    Last edited by Sp4; 08-06-2014 at 03:33.

They really messed up the ending. Basically the ending was hyped up to be reliant on the culmination of all your choices in all the three games, but in the end they just have you three bland options that seemingly resulted in basically the same things, very similar ending cutscenes that just left a very bad taste in everyone's mouths.

Rumor has it that instead of a panel of writers working on the ending, it was just the head writer and he refused any input about his ending. Don't know if it's true but it would explain things.

There actually is a mod that replaces the ending with something a lot better, it's called the Happy Endings mod and I was fortunate enough to not have quite such a bitter taste in my mouth with the modded ending.

All in all though the trilogy is overall amazing and by far some of the best storytelling in a game I have ever seen.
    I see. Thanks for sharing it with me. I will check the game as you like it so much.

Dragon Age 2, Rome 2 ,Mass Effect 3 in that order

Dragon Age 2 was utterly terrible and it looks like they have recognised their mistakes... I am still not preordering Inquisition however...

Rome 2 doesn't deserve to be called a Total War game and was terrible glitchy and flawed

Mass Effect 3 was a disappointment but not to the level of the other 2 - it was a reasonable game it was just the ending that brought it down - the whole series had been about making decisions which impact the whole game and then they throw 3 generic options at you and wrap it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody View Post

Rome 2 doesn't deserve to be called a Total War game and was terrible glitchy and flawed
    After 14 patches I very much disagree with that statement. Maybe it wasnt upon release, but now certainly.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

A game that takes 14 major patches to bring it to a standing that can be considered playable isnt a good game. A game that even when you are winning you aren't having fun is not a good game.

Rome2, CoH2, starbound, X Rebirth all were major letdowns for me.

Rome2 was a farce on release and it killed me. I wanted that game to succeed in the way that shogun2 did for me. It just fell on its face.

CoH2 was just a reskin of DoW2:40k and the mechanics fell so far from what CoH1 brought to the table.

Starbound just didn't do it for me. It wasn't what I thought it would be. I enjoyed Terraria so much and I thought it might have been like that but in the end I was disappointed.

X-Rebirth just fell flat on its face for me. It was like they tried to turn a space sim into a combat sim and I was severely disappointed in it.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Member thankful for this post:

I definitely agree that the release of R2 was a total and utter flop, but in my opinion one must judge a game on its current state, and in its current state I would say it is on par with the rest of the TW series. The release, on the other hand, was just as bad as ETW's release, which I recall being just as bad. Though I would say now that R2 is on a higher level than ETW is.

Maybe its the optimist in me, but I see 14 patches not only as a failure of its release state, but also as a reassurance from CA that while they might have released a faulty product, they really are committed to fixing their mistakes. And for all we know, the release date might not have been in CA's control...
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 08-06-2014 at 18:19.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Oh, what we would have given to get more than one or two patches in the earlier TW games.
    This space intentionally left blank

After 14 patches I very much disagree with that statement. Maybe it wasnt upon release, but now certainly.
    rofl... 14 patches

We do not sow.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Oh, what we would have given to get more than one or two patches in the earlier TW games.
    We were lucky to get VI 2.01, and a few more would have been nice, especially for newer hardware/Windows releases. STW/MTW are essentially dead now.

14 patches just to be playable is a bit of a disgrace, but long term support is something you just don't get much of these days. The final Quake 3 version was v1.32, that got constant updates over several years, and Neverwinter Nights went to v1.69(?) over it's lifetime.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Black & White

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Black & White
    I actually liked that, but I wasn't hyped up with it, but it fits into the Lionhead trend of overstating itself.

I remember your 'avatar' and tower synched online, and people used to troll 'good' gods by throwing civilians at their tower, turning them to pure evil.

Age of Wonders 3.

Had high expectations for it, bought it the week it came out, clocked 7 hours of gameplay, then realized that I was getting bored to tears. The game is stable, the graphics are very good, music is incredible, bugs nowhere to be seen, yet it failed to interest me. Maybe 10 years is too long of a wait for a straight up clone/sequel that doesn't introduce anything radical.

Maybe that's why the new X-Com game is so good: it's not a clone in any way, shape or form.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    14 patches just to be playable is a bit of a disgrace, but long term support is something you just don't get much of these days. The final Quake 3 version was v1.32, that got constant updates over several years, and Neverwinter Nights went to v1.69(?) over it's lifetime.
    Most of the serious bugs were ironed out after patch 3 or 4 I would say. The rest of them were minor bug fixes and balancing. Patch 14 finally brought the siege AI up to par, but it was "playable" way before that.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

i didnt want a playable game, i wanted the most epic TW untill now. thats how the advertised it, and they delivered the most epic turd of the ages. i knew i shouldve paid more attention during advertisement classes, but somehow, this seems familiar.

on a more serious note, for me it wasnt just that the game was buggy, unstable and unfinished, but i overall dont like the path they have taken for the last few tw games in a row now and which has really been taken to the next level in this game. all this streamlined and dumbed down bs... ugh. but the major kill blow was the speed of the battles, i just couldnt enjoy the game that way, a battle between 4k troops on each side should be a major slugfest or a tactical game of chess between two commanders. not a protoss vs terran rofl stomp thats over in 2 minutes... really i swear i clocked it, 4k vs 4k, over in 6 min, 2k troops dead on each side. wtf is that? maybe that changed, maybe u can get mods, i dont care anymore. i wasted 40 bux, i pick up my losses, and it will be the last tw game i ever bought.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 08-08-2014 at 12:19.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    ...but the major kill blow was the speed of the battles, i just couldnt enjoy the game that way, a battle between 4k troops on each side should be a major slugfest or a tactical game of chess between two commanders. not a protoss vs terran rofl stomp thats over in 2 minutes...
    Funny, that sounds like my thoughts on one of my biggest disappointments - Rome Total War. I guess I wouldn't like Son of RTW either.

Further to that. In MTW it felt like tactics made a difference (likely in STW too); everything since is like two drunks brawling-sure one is going to fall, overall its over fast, it ain't pretty and god only knows what happened.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

I agree. However, I recently got M2TW and played it for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised at how long combat lasted. You could actually maneuver after the fighting started. So unlike RTW.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Whatever the sequel to Deus Ex was called, loved the first game to pieces...

The total war series (just the MP really) after VI. Actually enjoyed the single player more in the later games (but rarely bother with battles) ETW is probably my favourite for SP but everything starts grinding to a standstill when I get too far in, had some good Polish games I had to abandon.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast