Thread: I'll pay a bribe to end a bribery trial!

Default I'll pay a bribe to end a bribery trial!

I just heard this on the news and laughed a little.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28656050

This is kind of hilarious.. and they send other people to prison for less

Default Re: I'll pay a bribe to end a bribery trial!

I heard about this on the radio but didn't listen closely and assumed it was in Italy or so....I guess Bavaria is close enough to Italy....

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Just incase no one has noticed, organized crime is what governments consider unfair competition.

He didn’t buy a judge or bribe a prosecutor. It all goes to the Organization.

It is a lot like the old practice of paying the Pope for the remission of sins.

Only Government is a racket that provides its own muscle.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I heard about this on the radio but didn't listen closely and assumed it was in Italy or so....I guess Bavaria is close enough to Italy....
    That's what I thought lol. Close enough to Italy :D

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Just incase no one has noticed, organized crime is what governments consider unfair competition.

He didn’t buy a judge or bribe a prosecutor. It all goes to the Organization.

It is a lot like the old practice of paying the Pope for the remission of sins.

Only Government is a racket that provides its own muscle.
    If it benefits all taxpayers that's a good thing, the problem is that if he committed a crime he won't get punished/corrected for that now.
    No, spending a tiny fraction of your money for no consequences is not a punishment and neither does it count as reintegration into society.

Yeah.. what's 60 million GBP to Ecclestone? Considering he's like 80 years old, it's a small price to pay to not go to prison for some years =p

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    Yeah.. what's 60 million GBP to Ecclestone? Considering he's like 80 years old, it's a small price to pay to not go to prison for some years =p
    That's probably part of the reason. He's in the age range where they get released from prison for being so old and fragile. So he would probably not get prison, even if convicted.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

If it benefits all taxpayers that's a good thing, the problem is that if he committed a crime he won't get punished/corrected for that now.
    No, spending a tiny fraction of your money for no consequences is not a punishment and neither does it count as reintegration into society.

lol

All I mean is that governments don’t care about actual justice. It is of more benefit to themselves to take the money than to worry about the law.

If you are rich your justice is much different than the average person.

Government is always the best money can buy.

It is just organized crime that makes its own laws.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Bavaria seems so quaint (ooom-pah music and Oktoberfest) to us on this side of the pond. So why does all the whack stuff seem to happen there? Do they tell Bavaria jokes like we tell West Virginia jokes?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I don't know that many West Virginia jokes, may have heard some from Colbert and Stewart.

To me Bavaria is Germany's Texas, very capitalistic, pro-industry, otherwise very conservative, somewhere between hostile towards foreigners and people with a good heart, depending on where you go and who you meet. They also have a few people who think they'd be better off without the rest of the states in the federation.
    I'm not sure whether the similarities end here but they consistently score better than other states in terms of education, used to receive federal money but pay into the pot now and think that should end as the other lazy states obviously do not deserve their precious bavarian money. And their dialect in its natural form is more or less impossible to understand for other Germans. Isn't Texas that state that has at least one bavarian-style village?

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Bavaria seems so quaint (ooom-pah music and Oktoberfest) to us on this side of the pond. So why does all the whack stuff seem to happen there? Do they tell Bavaria jokes like we tell West Virginia jokes?
    According to my brother who lived in Kiel (capital of Schleswig-Holstein) for 2 years. Yep. Bavarians also have a saying "We're so lucky to live in Bavaria." Or something similar.

Also this might be a national law. Like most federal states criminal law is national.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Also this might be a national law. Like most federal states criminal law is national.
    The law maybe, but actually applying it in this case was a decision made by a bavarian judge. The article mentions that the application of this is optional. I don't think there's a law that forces courts to accept money instead of finishing a case.

I've read several write-ups of this. And none say what sort of court he was in front of. But the jail time would point to a criminal one. One also said that applying the law mid trial was unusual.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Yes, Texas has quite a few towns heavily influenced by German immigrants, often Bavarians: Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, others.

West Virginia Jokes:

1. How can you tell a rich West Virginia family from a poor one just by driving by their house?

-- The rich family will have THREE cars in the driveway....up on cinderblocks.

2. How do you know you're at a fine dining establishment in West Virginia?

-- They've placed napkins and tableware beside the road-kill for your convenience.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I thought one of the qualifiers was that it would be difficult to get a judgement.

Since the guy who received the bribe is in jail for 8.5 years surely that was indicative that a ruling could be made.

I'd be auditing the judges accounts.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this sort of thing wouldn't really fly anywhere but Bavaria ^^ (In Germany)

And no, Bavaria isn't exactly poor. They are pretty well off, a lot of big companies settle down there. It's probably the most 'German' federal country of Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this sort of thing wouldn't really fly anywhere but Bavaria ^^ (In Germany)

And no, Bavaria isn't exactly poor. They are pretty well off, a lot of big companies settle down there. It's probably the most 'German' federal country of Germany.
    If I got it right, Bavaria is Germany's answer to Germanisms capital, Tyrol.

And Tyrol is effin *singing voice* aaaaawesome!!
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 08-07-2014 at 18:56.