Thread: Worldbuilding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Worldbuilding

As I have loved creating fantasy worlds since I was a kid and have created numerous board/paper wargames to fight I them I wished to open up an exchange of ideas for my benefit and enlightenment. Feel free to discuss ideas and theory or related thoughts.
    One thing about doing historical is that one does need to be accurate. We enjoy the 'what if' situations a lot BUT, different systems of warfare, different armies and methods evolved as a response to many influences, such as terrain, politics, economy, history, etc. So to me when dealing with fantasy warfare it has to make sense, no medieval armies battling and then someone rolls up in a tank, unless you have time travel lol. In other words there have to be rues and things have to work constrained by them.
    There's also economic considerations. Can the kingdom afford to raise, train, pay and supply those troops. And do the troops work well together as a force. Politically, can the kingdom keep that army in the field for however long its needed etc etc etc.
    Anyway, just a few beginning thoughts, add as you will. Would love to see a book or site comparing the armies and warfare of different fantasy worlds, any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Default Re: Worldbuilding

If you are doing a fantasy world, it is all good for some things to make sense and be realistic. However, to add that air of the mystic and mysterious, some things need to be "just because". I had a period during my D&D days where I strove for realism. The problem was, I got so focused on realism, my world started losing some of the magical wonders that make fantasy worlds so likeable and awesome. So, I started ignoring realism (within reason) and going for things and situations that added that sense of wonder back into my campaign.
    This space intentionally left blank

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The thing you have to remember, which touches on Gregoshi's part, is reality is in the eye of the beholder. Each and everyone of us has a different reality which different constructions, affiliations and interpretations.

This means that sometimes you ignore some realities because it would be normal to do so. Raising the price of fish may make things expensive for some people, but some people don't like fish and they are unaffected. Perhaps some people think the raising of the price of fish is related to the octosquid conspiracy, a minority but vocal group of people, but in general, no one has ever bothered or even heard about it.

I found it is always best to have 'general themes' then go deeper into them when needed. So army size may be based on general 'call to arms', Kingdom wealth and population. You would get a headache if you tried to get all nittygritty on the exact numbers on the days people enroll or end up leaving the service.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

The key to me I think is to reveal only what you need to. Create a general structure for the beginning and flesh out the plan. But the reader/viewer only sees what you want them to see. Maybe this leaves things open to their interpretation, maybe you can lead them in a direction only to spring a surprise. :)

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeola View Post
    The key to me I think is to reveal only what you need to. Create a general structure for the beginning and flesh out the plan. But the reader/viewer only sees what you want them to see. Maybe this leaves things open to their interpretation, maybe you can lead them in a direction only to spring a surprise. :)
    Exactly what I was meaning!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Great minds think alike :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    If you are doing a fantasy world, it is all good for some things to make sense and be realistic. However, to add that air of the mystic and mysterious, some things need to be "just because". I had a period during my D&D days where I strove for realism. The problem was, I got so focused on realism, my world started losing some of the magical wonders that make fantasy worlds so likeable and awesome. So, I started ignoring realism (within reason) and going for things and situations that added that sense of wonder back into my campaign.
    yep my realism means within the confines of the system. There is magic but it works n a certain way, no just pulling a rabbit with a nuke out of a hat lol. I want it to be believable even tho its fantasy.