Thread: What units from EB are you hoping to see again in EBII ?

Default What units from EB are you hoping to see again in EBII ?

This thread I spotted on the TWC forums where it was started by QuintusSertorius, so all credits go to him!
    I just thought it a good idea to also discuss our favorite units on the .org forum as long as we're waiting for the release. So post your favourite units, those you love and hope to see again in EB 2.

Mine are these:

Cretan Archers (confirmed in EB II):

Pedites Extraordinarii

Hippeis Thessalikoi

Mori Gaesum:

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Default Re: What units from EB are you hoping to see again in EBII ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saba_assilinmodarra.gif 
Views:	170 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	14137
    The Sabean Noble Infantry. Not only those guys have an utterly beautifully appearance, they also saved more than one battle when playing as Saba in EB I.

Name:	saba_ethiopian_archers.gif 
Views:	128 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	14138

Ethiopian Archers. Same comment as for the Nobles above.

Name:	hay_thanvare_kavakaza.gif 
Views:	126 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	14139

Caucasian Archers. Together with the Caucasian Spearmen and the Bodyguard infantry they simply are the early Hayasdan army. And Hayasdans life insurance. If they were a bit armoured they'd be the best archers in game (personal opinion, not backed up by stats).

Name:	iberian_assault_infantry.gif 
Views:	140 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	14140

Iberian Assault Infantry (Qart'Hadasht reform unit)
    In my personal opinion one of the most beautiful units in the whole EB I game. And they are as frightening when not playing Carthage as they are wonderful if you are playing them.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 08-25-2014 at 04:57.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

I could pick hundreds of units I'd love to see again but when I really think about it... I don't really care. All I hope for is the same unit variety that each faction in EB had. I loved reading each unit description and composing my armies as historically as I could. For example when I played as Seleukia (which was very often because they're one of the most diverse factions) I'd have my main phalanx line built up of 3 different phalanx troops - 5 levy phalanx, 3 klerouchi phalanx and 2 pezhetairoi. I did that because the unit description of each one of those units said that the majority of phalanxes would be levies, the second most would be klerouchi (Greek colonists or something) and the smallest but best equipped and trained would be pezhetairoi.

The variety was wonderful so as long as that same variety is there I don't mind if not all my favourite troops make it in.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Alright, since we've got a little wait longer, I'm going to ask about two more units, which are again common regionals.

Peltastai

Thureophoroi

I've seen some mention of Euzonoi, which will complicate the picture still further, and both Elite and Kretan Peltastai.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    (For some reason I'm not able to insert the images in the same beautiful way as the thread opener. Hm. )
    You need to use the IMG /IMG tags and get an image location from the EB website (not the Unit List).
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Quote Originally Posted by I_damian View Post
    For example when I played as Seleukia (which was very often because they're one of the most diverse factions) I'd have my main phalanx line built up of 3 different phalanx troops - 5 levy phalanx, 3 klerouchi phalanx and 2 pezhetairoi. I did that because the unit description of each one of those units said that the majority of phalanxes would be levies, the second most would be klerouchi (Greek colonists or something) and the smallest but best equipped and trained would be pezhetairoi.
    The kleruchoi/pezhetairoi split has gone, they're now just one unit regardless of where they've come from.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Mori Gaesum are not in the first release I am afraid. Sorry. Also we are redoing a lot of concepts for the second release, so you are unlikely to see the Mori Gaesum as you remember them in EB (certainly not with anachronistic armour).

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Thanks for the answer Brennus! I don't mind them beeing nit in the first release. I also think they look different in EB 1.2 than on my picture but I couldn't find a better one...but if a Helvetii unit makes it in the gane in the end, that would be great! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos Karchedonios View Post
    Cretan Archers (confirmed in EB II):

Yep, here's the confirmation:

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    http://europabarbarorum.heimstatt.ne...darra_INFO.jpg
    The Sabean Noble Infantry. Not only those guys have an utterly beautifully appearance, they also saved more than one battle when playing as Saba in EB I.
    Sadly they will now also wear bronze and iron scale and can use both spears and bows.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You need to use the IMG /IMG tags and get an image location from the EB website (not the Unit List).
    Thank you for the hint! Fixed the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Sadly they will now also wear bronze and iron scale and can use both spears and bows.
    So they basically "turned into" the Sabean Noble Townsfolk? I assumed something like that as the descriptions for both units (or better: group of Sabean high-ranked individuals) had more than one close link as far as I understood.

I have no idea why anyone should be sorry at all. I'm looking forward to every unit of the arabian roster that was previewed so far, with exactly the Noble Townsfolk being the clear favourite. That unit is not only awe-inspiring in terms of possible versatility but also visual appearance.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 08-25-2014 at 05:06.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

The Illyrioi Hippeis!

Name:	epi_illyrioihippeis.gif 
Views:	139 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	14143

One just has to love cheap lance cavalry^^
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    The Illyrioi Hippeis!

Name:	epi_illyrioihippeis.gif 
Views:	139 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	14143

One just has to love cheap lance cavalry^^
    They're confirmed:

Member thankful for this post: