Thread: Bug Thread

Default Bug Thread

Didn't see a dedicated bug thread here (besides the first impression thread?).

I recently found a bug regarding the minimap. I zoomed in the minimap playing as Rome and then alt-tabbed out of the game. When I alt tabbed back in, the game UI was completely broken, as if the entire screen was taken up by the minimap.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Re: Bug Thread

Alt tabbing can cause problems with MTW2, especially when it uses more memory as is the case in EB2. If you want to use alt tab to do other things while playing, it is best to use the windowed mode.

I am playing windowed mode though.

windowed = 1 is in my cfg file.

We don't have a thread for bugs, we have a subforum instead. It should be visible to the public?

Don't know about the graphical errors you're seeing though. I don't think we've seen anything of the sort on our installations.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I will try to get a recording of it if I can.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Moving to bug reports forum
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

If you don't mind, I'll post my problem here. If it shows to be general problem moderators can freely open a thread on it.

It's quite simple, after some time spent playing my game just crashes but with no report... it just closes it self.
    Didn't have that problem yesterday.
    Any solutions or recommendations?

(side tab: I used alt-tab a few times, it started after that... could be conected? )

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Hi folks! I always get some kind of grainy blur effect. Maybe caused be the enhanced graphics mod?
    Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Yep unistalling EnhanceGraphics did the trick
    Last edited by ziegenpeter; 08-26-2014 at 12:38.

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Lots of info only shows up in-game as SHARED.TXT.
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 08-26-2014 at 12:43.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Tonno View Post
    If you don't mind, I'll post my problem here. If it shows to be general problem moderators can freely open a thread on it.

It's quite simple, after some time spent playing my game just crashes but with no report... it just closes it self.
    Didn't have that problem yesterday.
    Any solutions or recommendations?

(side tab: I used alt-tab a few times, it started after that... could be conected? )
    Same thing happens to me. It is definitely the alt tabbing. I can play for an hour straight as long as I don't alt tab out. After maybe 3 or 4 times of alt tabbing, usually my game will crash within 45 seconds of the last alt tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius Scholarius View Post
    Lots of info only shows up in-game as SHARED.TXT.
    A screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	so93xi.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	14161

NVM. I solved it by reinstalling M2TW whilst avoiding Program Files.
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 08-26-2014 at 14:56.

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Same thing happens to me. It is definitely the alt tabbing. I can play for an hour straight as long as I don't alt tab out. After maybe 3 or 4 times of alt tabbing, usually my game will crash within 45 seconds of the last alt tab.
    Alt-tab is the kiss of death. You can do everything needed from windowed mode except reach the desktop icons behind the game. A minor price to pay for the huge increase in stability.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius Scholarius View Post
    A screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	so93xi.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	14161

NVM. I solved it by reinstalling M2TW whilst avoiding Program Files.
    Yeah, this is exactly what mine is doing too. Gotta uninstall and reinstall the whole thing?

It may be more effective to try the potential fixes in the installer problems post. You'll find a link in my sig. Look for:

When I run the game all or most of the texts are wonky
    I have tried the files in the items above, and am still not getting the game to run.

If those don't do the trick, yes, reinstalling outside of Program Files should make it work.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou View Post
    Yeah, this is exactly what mine is doing too. Gotta uninstall and reinstall the whole thing?
    It was the only thing that worked for me. Don't install it in Program Files and you should be fine.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the whole thing under C:\GAMES\SEGA\Medieval II Total War.
    Getting the generic shared text file error message.
    Downloaded the file and unpacked it into the mods\ebii\data\ file. Twice.
    Still getting the same error message and CTD on startup.
    The instructions on the bug report thread say to open up build_scripts.ini and update it with my java location. How do I do this? Are there instructions somewhere? At least it was running before I reinstalled. Now it just CTDs every time I start it up.

No, there are no more instructions than that you have to change the location of java. Have you got java installed? You'll have to find out precisely where. Make a note of that location. Change this bit in build_scripts.ini:

[java]
    Exe = E:\Programs\Java\jre7.17\bin\java.exe

Use that location you made a note of there.

================
    ================

Some observations from a Seleucid H/M campaign with the latest AI:
    1. (probably already reported) rebel fleets spawn in lakes, at least in Anatolia
    2. The Seleucids start out with Macedonian Peltasts, but only Makedonia is able recruit them according to the EDB
    3. The latest campaign AI (8-30-2014) seems almost as passive as the one before. Even well after turn 50 (ca. 65-70), I wasn't attacked a single time by the Ptolemaioi, even though they walk around my territory and declared war again on me. Rebels, however, do attack (and sometimes even conquer) my settlements. I observed a lot of unit stacks not leaving a faction's territory (Pergamon, Ptolemaioi). Especially the Ptolemaioi deploy several stacks to the very west of Ephesos, and they seem to do nothing "smart", if at all. In case of Pergamon, I observed how a large army turned rebel, probably because they couldn't affort it anymore. They did not attack Nikaia or other settlements.
    With the default AI, however, I was regularly attacked by the Ptolemaioi even on medium difficulty (not often, but it seemed smart as it happened when I moved armies away from settlements - could be coincidence, of course).
    4. I observed how unit stacks kept walking in and out of forts until movement depleted. I don't remember having seen this with the old AI, but then, I didn't build as many watchtowers so I probably missed it before.
    5. In my mind, the 0.35 kill ratio is best. I already liked the 0.22, but now I think it was not enough. I would strongly argue for not raising it higher - but as this can be altered easily by just replacing two values (if I understood correctly), anyone is free to choose for his own liking anyway.
    6. I also wrote to abou concerning the (Seleucid) temple bonuses. The Seleucids stretch enourmously in east-west-direction, hence they have to deal with insane levels of corruption. As the only temple which provides a law bonus is the one of Zeus/Ahuramazda, it is for most parts of the empire the most rewarding choice, I guess. I think difference in temples is good, but the other temples cannot compete with that ability yet - so one could either add smaller law bonuses to the others as well or further finetune their bonuses (e. g. I do like ideas like reduced training costs for Marduk!), but I have no solution myself what might be best.
    Last edited by Lysandros; 08-31-2014 at 13:36.
    "Nous laisserons ce monde-ci aussi sot et aussi méchant que nous l'avons trouvé en y arrivant."