Thread: Battlemap fog guide

Default Battlemap fog guide

The EBII team has done a fantastic job on the graphics for the mod. The units, the vegetation, the buildings, all beautiful. However, they increased the render distance for fog on the battlemap, resulting in ugly, RTW-like graphics. Of course, some people won't mind this. Others might think it an improvement. But, for those of you who consider it a design flaw, this guide will help you change the fog distance to your desired settings. Although I could just edit the files myself and release it as a sub-mod, this guide allows the player to customize the game and strike the right balance between hideous, god-forsaken long-distance vegetation and lovely, pretty mist.

Code in red

The only file that needs to be edited is weather_db.xml. It's located in your EBII mod folder in data (....MIITW\mods\EBII\data) Open it up in notepad (preferably notepad+ or some other more advanced text editor). Search for the keyword 'fog'. Lines similar to <fog min="0" max="11000"></fog> should pop up. Each different weather type (clear, rainy) has it's own set of times (morning, sunrise, night), and each time has it's own fog line. The default values for fog in Vanilla are <fog min="-50" max="2000"></fog>. For each instance of 'fog' you find in your search, you can simply change the min and max to -50 and 2000 respectively. However, you can also change the distance of fog for each weather type, since there will obviously be more fog in a rainstorm. So, in a rainstorm, max="1500", or whatever value you choose.

Please post any questions or suggestions.

Default Re: Battlemap fog guide

Better post a link with the modified file so that everyone can install it easily.
    Last edited by Tux; 08-28-2014 at 13:15.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Somnorum View Post
    The EBII team has done a fantastic job on the graphics for the mod. The units, the vegetation, the buildings, all beautiful. However, they increased the render distance for fog on the battlemap, resulting in ugly, RTW-like graphics. Of course, some people won't mind this. Others might think it an improvement. But, for those of you who consider it a design flaw, this guide will help you change the fog distance to your desired settings. Although I could just edit the files myself and release it as a sub-mod, this guide allows the player to customize the game and strike the right balance between hideous, god-forsaken long-distance vegetation and lovely, pretty mist.

Code in red

The only file that needs to be edited is weather_db.xml. It's located in your EBII mod folder in data (....MIITW\mods\EBII\data) Open it up in notepad (preferably notepad+ or some other more advanced text editor). Search for the keyword 'fog'. Lines similar to <fog min="0" max="11000"></fog> should pop up. Each different weather type (clear, rainy) has it's own set of times (morning, sunrise, night), and each time has it's own fog line. The default values for fog in Vanilla are <fog min="-50" max="2000"></fog>. For each instance of 'fog' you find in your search, you can simply change the min and max to -50 and 2000 respectively. However, you can also change the distance of fog for each weather type, since there will obviously be more fog in a rainstorm. So, in a rainstorm, max="1500", or whatever value you choose.

Please post any questions or suggestions.
    Could you post the settings you personally liked? I'd like to try those out.

Any word on this?

Just got in and compared to vanilla, and i must say the horizon of the battlemap looks so much nicer in there than in EB2. In vanilla the far away mountains get a little "blur" effect too. In EB2 currently when you look on the land outside of the map you can notice the texture gets pretty low and i must say it does in fact looks like RTW... You can notice it specially on green (grassy) maps.... (i also wish that vegetation to be improved but i know its alot of work and is low on the priority list)
    Last edited by Wulfburk; 09-13-2014 at 02:51.