Thread: Sea Trade, or lack thereof

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Sea Trade, or lack thereof

After doing a fresh install of MTW2 while running into problems installing EB2 I noticed something when I fired up a new campaign as England, sea trade.

I don't know if this affects EB2 but thought I'd mention it here because what I appear to be seeing in vanilla MTW2 is a complete lack of sea trade, no sea lanes on campaign map, no miniature trade ships and from what I can tell after setting up trade with every nation practically in the game is effectively no income (I'm making maybe 200 a year tops and it should be thousands at this point).

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. I've raised it as a possible issue at the main TW forum and steam forum just in case, certainly looks to me like the last patch broke all sea trade in the game.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Re: Sea Trade, or lack thereof

Note trade and seatrade are nerfed somewhat in EBII, you'll need build up more for it to become more effective. But what you describe does seem a bit out of the ordinary. Perhaps you don't have many trading partners with build up ports. Often they only have one or so trade fleets available and can't trade with any more ports, preferring their own or more lucrative ones.

Could be, I'll continue the campaign and see what happens. If my income never increases as England, given the focus I put into economy when I play, and I never see sea lanes form or trade ships appear I'm going to stay convinced like the others raising the same questions that something is amiss.

I mentioned it there just because I thought it possible if vanilla is not working for trade there would be the possibility it's not working in a mod for it.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Fired up my current Stainless Steel save to take a look at sea trade, and it seems fine, not as lucrative as in EB1, but still raking in a decent amount each turn. Haven't played vanilla M2TW since a few weeks after release, so no idea if sea trade is an issue, but if it is it would at least appear to be moddable.

I haven't had much time to play EB2 yet, so not sure how sea trade compare to vanilla/other mods.

From what I understand from others seeing this save games work still, it's new campaigns that appear to not work.

I live in a small town in Northern Idaho, USA

As Saba on H/VH every town where I have built a port was soon having ships come and go. I had already built all other available structures with "increased trade" benefits and a family member with "Trader" in the capital.

Not a lot of ships and they mostly trade amongst themselves which is okay since I am making money on both ends. I have had diplomats secure trade rights with nearly every other faction in the game so hopefully trade will continue to grow as my empire expands to new frontiers.

With Bosporos(5 Provinces) I make a lot of money from trade ,including sea trade.Roughly 9000 mnai per season and a lot of it is from sea trade.

Edit:I build a few trade buildings and know it is 12000.

Btw.The position of Skythiapolis means that it gets a massive ammount of trade income,over 4000,and I would get even more(ca.1500mnai) if the neighbouring ""barbarian" and nomadic settlements would get civilized.....which can happen.I'm currently getting 5600Mnai per turn just from it and I haven't even build the last Port upgrade or the mine complex.

Getting money from a properly developed province is really not hard.

Oh and the Pritanoi aren't really the faction best postioned for trade.
    Last edited by Thoras; 09-03-2014 at 19:22.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Cool Re: Sea Trade, or lack thereof

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBII_Naevius.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	288.4 KB 
ID:	14298
    The shot was captured for Navii sake so it fails to demonstrate the Roman sea trade in its glory but you can still get a glimpse
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post

Name:	EBII_Naevius.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	288.4 KB 
ID:	14298
    The shot was captured for Navii sake so it fails to demonstrate the Roman sea trade in its glory but you can still get a glimpse
    Well that's most of my sea trade(6 Provinces,but 2 aren't that developed:

Name:	kingdoms 2014-09-06 05-29-28-02.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	14299
    Last edited by Thoras; 09-06-2014 at 04:36.

Member thankful for this post: