Thread: *SUBMOD* Positive Character Traits

Default *SUBMOD* Positive Character Traits

Note This is for EB2 version 1 only

This mod is designed to make generals easier to develop and have more positive character traits. I have altered many values in the file but it needs a lot of testing. I have tried the file myself and have suffered no CTD's but it is still very much a beta and needs testing deep into a campaign to see if I have gone too far or not far enough. The main areas I have worked on are loyalty and generalship and also some admin skills.
    Its save game compatable
    Hope it works for ya
    Goth
    p.s back up your original export_descr_character_traits file just in case

export_descr_character_traits.rar

On a side note I really have to take my hat off to the guys or guy who created the character traits file, having edited it and seen the vastness and complexity of it I am in awe at the vast amount of work that has gone in to create it.

**** To be honest guys you need to stop using this mod, I think the team have updated and fixed many of the problems with low loyalty plus there could be a problem with compatabilty with 2.01. I made this for version 1 of the beta and it is out of date now if you know different post and let me know. ****
    Last edited by Goth47; 09-21-2014 at 08:07.

Members thankful for this post (8):

+ Show/Hide List

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: *SUBMOD* Positive Character Traits

Moving to submod section
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Member thankful for this post:

Moros 

Installed. Thank you very much!

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Thanks a lot!
    I started a new campaign (Carthage this time) with this submod and the new AI beta and it's really nice to see some of my generals actually get a command star or some influence.
    Much appreciated!

I still am struggling with loyalty, although the situation seems to have improved a bit - mainly because I still have no idea what influences a chars' loyalty. Granting them governorship over the capital and/or having them in the same army as the faction leader seems to have no positive influence so far.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Goth47 

I altered loyalty a bit more than I was comfortable with to be honest, because I didnt want to go to the other extreme. If you keep playing and still notice little loyalty please keep me informed and I will revise loyalty even further for the next release.
    Many thanks
    Goth

Moros 

I noticed that all the guys that are offered as potentional husbands now are Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous. is this intended or just a conicidence?

might just be coincidence but its something I will keep an eye on. definately not intended

Didn't have any marriages in the latest years but I keep watching if it was just luck. At least the last FM reaching adulthood was an astonishingly incompetent moron!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos Karchedonios View Post
    I noticed that all the guys that are offered as potentional husbands now are Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous. is this intended or just a conicidence?
    I've had two in a row who were, and turned out to have Good Tactician, and be Unselfish/Optimistic too.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Didn't have any marriages in the latest years but I keep watching if it was just luck. At least the last FM reaching adulthood was an astonishingly incompetent moron!
    lol

I got two more suitors who are S/C/V today, and not one who was not. This seems to be more than coincidence...FM reaching adulthood do not seem to be affected on the other hand.

Yeah I'm on it buddy, I just went a little overboard with them, I will start work on the new version tomorrow where I will retard good suitors a bit and try to pep up FMs coming of age. I will also remove or neutralise bad discipline trait but I will leave command stars and loyalty alone for now as I'm quite happy with that for now. Thanks for the feedback, I really needed it
    Goth

Members thankful for this post (2):

No, thank you for your work! Besides the perfect bachelors everything seems greatly improved. Battle-hardy generals get good traits without becoming Hannibals and Alexanders after only a few battles. One thing I also noticed is that every accepted husband gets the "starving" trait one round after incooperating into the family. But i think this was already the case before I installed your Submod.

No, thank you for your work! Besides the perfect bachelors everything seems greatly improved. Battle-hardy generals get good traits without becoming Hannibals and Alexanders after only a few battles. One thing I also noticed is that every accepted husband gets the "starving" trait one round after incooperating into the family. But i think this was already the case before I installed your Submod.
    Yep, that was the case before the submod.

Any ideas on the old "Uncomfortable Supervisor" arising when the FM hasn't even left the city?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

I noticed this as well a few times. I think it helps if you send him to another place. Maybe it is intentional to show that he deosn't get along well with the locals. or the settlement is so "backwards" thaht it offends your generals dignity?

I noticed this as well a few times. I think it helps if you send him to another place. Maybe it is intentional to show that he deosn't get along well with the locals. or the settlement is so "backwards" thaht it offends your generals dignity?
    That's certainly possible; however in my game I only have "backwards" settlements, having abandoned my homelands.

Sorry if provincial Korsim is too small and un-Greek for my Faction Heir!

I messed around a bit with your submod, Goth47.
    I slightly raised the authority a character gets from being Faction Leader, hoping to indirectly influence the loyalty of all FMs.
    And I raised some (a few only!) loyalty effects.

Tested my changes in two campaigns so far:
    Baktria H/M -80 turns, more or less just hitting end turn, having all FMs in Baktria (except the Leader in Oskobara and the Heir in Marakanda)
    Saba H/M - 60 turns, really just hitting end turn, all FMs in Maryab for the entire time.

Both tests yielded similar results so far.

There are still FMs with zero loyalty but they are a clear minority now. The average loyalty level has changed from ~2 to ~3, the Faction Heir sports a fancy average loyalty of 4 now (in opposition to 0 or 1 before), the best loyalty I saw so far were 7 (Baktrian Faction Heir, he went down to 5 again later).

All in all it seems that I didn't change it too much, you still have to pay attention to the loyalty, but you have at least one or two generals aside the Faction Leader that can be used for a military career.

Just drop the attached file into your EB II/data folder. Make sure to copy the original file and save it somewhere else, just in case.
    Oh, and don't install this if you don't want the changes Goth47 did to the file already. I changed his file, not the EB II original one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Members thankful for this post (3):

Nice work shadowwalker I will keep your changes in. Feel free to play around some more and upload it too

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Both of you, though Goth already knows that, are always welcome to help us with traits and traits balancing!

Or anything other that is useful of course!

I'm giving it a try now. I forgot to back up the old file though.

I'm in the process of reading through all the tutorials I can find about the scripting mechanics.
    At the moment all I can do is looking at existing escripts, guessing what they might do, changing them using common sense and hoping for the best.
    from Populus Romanus

Something funny has definitely gone on with new Family Members, whether they come by marriage or Coming of Age. In the original EDCT they were often crap, but varied in their uselessness (with the very occasional diamond). Now almost all the youngsters are Sharp/Uncharismatic/Langorous, and all the suitors Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous. I've not had a stripling break that rule in more than ten events in a row now, and I've only seen one or two out of a dozen suitors vary from it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Something funny has definitely gone on with new Family Members, whether they come by marriage or Coming of Age. In the original EDCT they were often crap, but varied in their uselessness (with the very occasional diamond). Now almost all the youngsters are Sharp/Uncharismatic/Langorous, and all the suitors Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous. I've not had a stripling break that rule in more than ten events in a row now, and I've only seen one or two out of a dozen suitors vary from it.
    I just got a suitor that was Dull,Charismatic,Vigorous