Thread: Should there be a Hellenistic Polis building in Syrakousai?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Should there be a Hellenistic Polis building in Syrakousai?

I'll readily admit that while I like the new culture development mechanics, I don't really understand them at all. Even after reading the building browser. I feel like some of the requirements are missing or there's too much cross-referencing/nested requirements for me to grasp what's needed.

Either way, Syrakousai has no Hellenistic Poleis building in it. In spite of being Greek and having 70% Hellenistic Polities already. Other Greek-founded settlements I've taken (like Massalia and Emporion) have small Poleis buildings, which will no doubt eventually be upgrade-able. But Syrakousai has none.

Is that an error?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Member thankful for this post:

mmiki 

Default Re: Should there be a Hellenistic Polis building in Syrakousai?

I think it's a simple omission in the descr_strat.txt - the building was left out. Same goes for Olbia.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Here is Emporiton, which has the Minor Hellenistic Poleis next to Independent Region on the top row:

Now here is Syrakousai, the greatest metropolis of Megale Hellas, yet no Hellenistic Poleis building:

mmiki 

Some others that may have been overlooked too:

Olbia:

Histria:

Chersonesos:

mmiki 

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

I believe you are absolutely correct about this. I will look into fixing it internally and for now yeah just add:

building
    {
    type hinterland_hellenistic_polis polis_three
    }

into the entry for Syrakousai in desc_strat.txt and probably give the rest polis_one. The same could be done for Trapezous.
    @paullus should probably give a final opinion
    Last edited by joshmahurin; 09-04-2014 at 04:20.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure whether anyone had seen this. It's not a "game-breaking bug" or anything, just an omission that can make development difficult for some factions.

I thought polis_three for Syrakousai (since it's huge) and polis_one for all the others sounded right.

I wasn't sure about Trapezous, but it probably should have one too, good catch.

Some others that perhaps should also have a polis_one: Lilibeo (where there were definitely Greek populations in western Sicily), Messana (same again), Halikarnassos (there's an "Unknown Building Type" there - is there an error with the Hellenistic Polis?), Rhegion (doesn't appear to have one, it was part of Megale Hellas).

A tentative one - Capua? There were a number of Greek colonies around Campania.

Interestingly, Chersonesos now has one in my game, after the Bosporans took it (though I think they installed that).
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 09-04-2014 at 13:17.

Syrakousai should most certainly have one.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Quote Originally Posted by paullus View Post
    Syrakousai should most certainly have one.
    Excellent. Any thoughts on a polis_one in: Olbia, Chersonesos, Histria, Lilibeo, Messana, Rhegion and Halikarnassos?

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

Yeah they can be built so areas with only limited Greek populations probably shouldn't automatically have one but for me cities that were founded by Greek colonists and still maintained a Greek identity in the time frame deserve one perhaps. Again this is only my opinions, Paullus is the man who knows

mmiki 

Weird, I'm looking at the descr_strat, and Halikarnassos has an entry for a polis_one, but an "unknown building" comes up instead. Or perhaps something has gone wrong with that city in my current game?

For anyone who wants to try it in a new game, I've made an updated descr_strat.txt.

Members thankful for this post (2):