Thread: KH native government (allied city state) does not allow recruiting diplomats

Default KH native government (allied city state) does not allow recruiting diplomats

Unless this is intentional?
    Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit.
    Nothing is so strongly fortified that it cannot be taken by money.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Minister of Useless Tidbits Member joshmahurin's Avatar

Default Re: KH native government (allied city state) does not allow recruiting diplomats

I would assume this is intentional as you wouldn't recruit someone to represent your country in foreign affairs that isn't even an official part of your country.

Default Re: KH native government (allied city state) does not allow recruiting diplomats

Quote Originally Posted by joshmahurin View Post
    I would assume this is intentional as you wouldn't recruit someone to represent your country in foreign affairs that isn't even an official part of your country.
    No, not the 'allied government', the native government that is called 'allied city state'. The default government type that you have in your cities at the start of the game.

You actually can recruit diplomats in the non-native government type (allied oligarchy/democracy), which is also a bug, probably.
    Last edited by mmiki; 09-06-2014 at 06:46.
    Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit.
    Nothing is so strongly fortified that it cannot be taken by money.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

I had the same problem in my KH campaign: the "Polis en symmachia kai philia" (hopefully spelled correctly... ) didn't allow the recruitment of diplomats... only the allied forms of government (democratic and oligarchic).

If you loose your starting diplomat to an assassin, you aren't able to recruit another one unless you establish one of these forms of government somewhere. Maybe the inabillity to recruit those guys with the starting government is an oversight, maybe it's an intended feature, but in that case it doesn't seem to be balanced, because:
    - i too couldn't recruit further diplomats in my Epeirote campaign with the starting governmental forms until i was able to upgrade to the next level via the colonization buildings after capturing a hellenic metropolis, but
    - it is possible to recruit further diplomats with Makedonia, since they got one of the upgraded governments in Demetrias from start on.

I don't think the imbalance is a great one, since the limitation of 1 Diplomat per better Gov building restricts the early Makedons too, but IF Epeiros or the KH loose their starting diplomats, it hampers their early diplomatic game quite a lot. (Which i exploited in my Epeirote campaign by assassinating the KH diplomat to prevent them from gaining peace with the Antigonids on their behalf. The Makedons sent their own Ambassador in another direction...)

So in summary, i personally wouldn't mind this reliance on my one important starting diplomat, since it provides a rather immersive feel regarding the game: i have to be wary of enemy assassins even more and guard my lonely ambassador on his way around the world.
    But mostly, i refrain from sending him to far away now in case i have need of him at home - which, again, i find an interesting change compared to other mods or EB1.
    Plus: it seems the AI doesn't kill diplomats as often as i do (to train my assassins or to unfairly exploit in-game disadvantages).

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmiki View Post
    Unless this is intentional?
    Fixed in the upcoming patch.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"