Thread: Romanii Campaign: Unruly Towns!

Question Romanii Campaign: Unruly Towns!

I just launched by first campaign and started conquering small villages in the north of Italy. They are very unruly, even after extermination, and require gigantic garrisons to pacify!

I think in the past we destroyed their native barbarian temples and replaced them with Roman temples and this helped tremendously, but I think in this mod such options are rare, if any.

Anybody has any idea how to subdue those barbarians so my legions can move on and continue capturing territory?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member thankful for this post:

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Default Re: Romanii Campaign: Unruly Towns!

I believe culture (vanilla religion) is playing the major role here. So, instead of extermination, sacking or plain invasion would let high population and upgrading the settlements to higher levels, which in turn enables building structures boasting your culture over the resident one (especially Roman colonies)... At least as I perceive it.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 09-06-2014 at 01:18. Reason: colonies...
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

There are several ways to reduce the unrest/improve the stability of a region.

You can build allied government, which gives a rather significant bonus to the happiness/law level.

Leave a general in the town (this is very important for newly conquered regions) and leave as many units with him as are needed to get the 40% garrison bonus (which is maximum from what I read here and from my ingame experience as well). For small settlements you may max out the garrison bonus with 2 units, large settlements may need way larger troop numbers (when I conquered Taksashila as Baktria, I had to leave more than a halfstack in the city to get the full bonus).

You can (and should!) build temples of the highest deity (Jupiter for the Romans, iirc, just have a look at the building browser to be sure - in opposition to RTW it works perfectly in M2TW) in all your settlements, as they give a law bonus which is not only important for the public order but also for decreasing the corruption. If you pay attention to the financial overview you'll notice that the corruption level will become huge once you expand past the italian peninsula.

If possible conquer all minor settlements in a region and destroy all rebel armies. If the minor settlements are held by a faction you are at war with, they cause devastation and thereby unrest, from what I gathered.

(Exploit possibility: if you lack the troops to chase those pesky rebels every turn, just build at least 2 watchtowers far from your roads in each province. The rebels will "conquer" the first watchtower, the next round they will "conquer" the other one (if it is not too far away from the first). And since they move every round, they don't cause devastation (which you can see on the campaign map - it's the growing grey area around enemy armies in your territory).
    Make sure to not build watchtowers on roads, because rebel armies on roads disrupt your trade. And the economy can be hard enough with many factions already.)

In general it is not possible anymore to just blitz your way through half the map easily as every newly aquired settlement needs your attention. Even with the above mentioned allied governments (which are rather cheap and quick to build and help pacifying a region, but which are on the other hand not providing many building options) you should stay with your army until at least the second stage of the allied government is built and until you moved in another general with a garrison.

As a sidenote: Tarentum seems to be some kind of a special case. The unrest just doesn't die down there. Not even after 10 or 20 years. I've no idea why.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 09-06-2014 at 12:40.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Members thankful for this post (2):

What I would like to know is the what exactly increses/decreases unrest and civil unrest. These two are the biggest public order negatives and I have no idea how they work. In my Britain campaign I had about 10%civil unrest in all provinces and unrest steadily went down after taking a city. Now I started a Roman campaign and got around 30-40% civil unrest in every province plus lots of unrest(only 50 turns in but so far I haven't see unrest go down anywhere). Also When I took Rhegion, the unrest actually started going up. When first I took the city, it was about 20% and it went up to about 40% in the next few turns.

At first I thought civil unrest was related to culture, but I'm not sure anymore. If anybody knows how these work, I'd like to hear it.

Hi, Tarentum/Tara is a Greek city. If you leave them alone they will revolt to Epirus.

Member thankful for this post:

Put the barbarians to the sword!

Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Quote Originally Posted by Poppis View Post
    What I would like to know is the what exactly increses/decreases unrest and civil unrest. These two are the biggest public order negatives and I have no idea how they work. In my Britain campaign I had about 10%civil unrest in all provinces and unrest steadily went down after taking a city. Now I started a Roman campaign and got around 30-40% civil unrest in every province plus lots of unrest(only 50 turns in but so far I haven't see unrest go down anywhere). Also When I took Rhegion, the unrest actually started going up. When first I took the city, it was about 20% and it went up to about 40% in the next few turns.

At first I thought civil unrest was related to culture, but I'm not sure anymore. If anybody knows how these work, I'd like to hear it.
    Civil unrest (the black-and-white face icon) is related to culture. Regular unrest (crossed swords and fire) is related to a variety of factors, including specific provinces, a province being recently conquered (maybe?) and the presence of spies from other factions. The part about Rhegion seems like a spy got into the town- the increase in unrest is about the same amount from a spy.

To counter spies, train some spies of your own and garrison them in vulnerable towns. This increases the chance of other spies being discovered (they are booted out of the settlement) and greatly decreases the chance of spies successfully entering one of your towns. Note that the effectiveness of garrisoned spies is dependant on their skill level, so a level 0 or 1 spy isn't very useful. You can train them by having them spy on other armies. Even one successful mission is enough to remove the untrained trait and give them the trained trait.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

I want to use cheat "process-cq" but settlement name is missing, example:process_cq Tarentum (Taras), anyone can help fix it?
    Last edited by Vnh; 07-24-2015 at 02:55. Reason: my english is bad