Thread: When and why did adult adoption decline?

Default When and why did adult adoption decline?

Throughout much of the Roman period, adult adoption was fairly common and many families used it to carry on their name and ensure good heirs. So why and when did it decline? Given that it could ensure a clear succession to a competent heir, why would medieval and early modern Europe not use it to prevent succession crises that plagued many dynasties?

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: When and why did adult adoption decline?

Divine Right to rule
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Adoption in Rome was in the form of patronage from an old, wealthy man to a young upcoming youth. When that youth advanced in office and power, he would in turn repay his benefactor.

The late Republic and the Empire deviated heavily from the old Roman ways of honour, earning office through valour and military commmand and so on. The fall of Rome and all the violent rebelions can be partially attributed to the corrupt and inept power hierarchy in the late empire.

Obviously in feudal Europe this was not the way to do it. Bloodlines were important, as the nobility set themselves apart from the yeomanry and common folk not just by material wealth but also by blood.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Adoption in Rome was in the form of patronage from an old, wealthy man to a young upcoming youth. When that youth advanced in office and power, he would in turn repay his benefactor.
    That's accurate enough, but in the early empire at least it was customary for the reigning emperor to adopt someone so that he would succeed him. Which is what the OP meant, I gather.

I have no idea why the tradition didn't persist. It could have something to do with the fact that most European kingdoms (France, Germany and England at least) followed the Sallic law of succession, which originated with the Franks. Which makes me wonder if the Byzantines practiced adoption for the sake of succession.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    That's accurate enough, but in the early empire at least it was customary for the reigning emperor to adopt someone so that he would succeed him. Which is what the OP meant, I gather.

I have no idea why the tradition didn't persist. It could have something to do with the fact that most European kingdoms (France, Germany and England at least) followed the Sallic law of succession, which originated with the Franks. Which makes me wonder if the Byzantines practiced adoption for the sake of succession.
    I can't think of any Byzantine Emperors that did that though it probably would have helped given some of the emperors that arose.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

There is an interesting paper to research and publish here.

My guess, off the top of my head, is that the answer is the decrease in child mortality.

Romans and others adopted to get heirs/continue the gens. Why would you adopt someone had hadn't already survived to age 12+ and thereby be sure that most of the child-deaths were no longer a risk?

As infant mortality dropped way off with modern medicines and public health efforts, you could afford to "invest" in a young child with reasonable expectation of a return on that investment -- plus you could raise them fully as your own in terms of language, culture, family traditions and the like.

Done young enough and with enough basic physical similarity, and you need never let ANYONE know that they were not your biological children. Thus you could protect yourself from the social sin of being barren (which was a bit of a "sin" for much of human history).

Again, that's off the top of the head...
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    There is an interesting paper to research and publish here.

My guess, off the top of my head, is that the answer is the decrease in child mortality.

Romans and others adopted to get heirs/continue the gens. Why would you adopt someone had hadn't already survived to age 12+ and thereby be sure that most of the child-deaths were no longer a risk?

As infant mortality dropped way off with modern medicines and public health efforts, you could afford to "invest" in a young child with reasonable expectation of a return on that investment -- plus you could raise them fully as your own in terms of language, culture, family traditions and the like.

Done young enough and with enough basic physical similarity, and you need never let ANYONE know that they were not your biological children. Thus you could protect yourself from the social sin of being barren (which was a bit of a "sin" for much of human history).

Again, that's off the top of the head...
    The explanation seems to explain it though it doesn't seem to match the period. As far as I know, late antiquity/early middle ages wasn't really a time of decreasing infant mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    Which makes me wonder if the Byzantines practiced adoption for the sake of succession.
    I haven't time to research an answer as well as I would like to, but Tiberius II Constantine was adopted by Justin II and made casesar and regent. Effectively, that made him heir and he did indeed become emperor. However, that was an exceptional case. Justin II was crazy a lot of the time and needed a regent.

The more usual way to get into the royal family, and maybe become emperor, was marriage rather than adoption. If there was no male heir, the husband of a princess might get to sit on the throne.

At least I think so. Wish I had time to read as much as I would like!
    Last edited by Brandy Blue; 09-13-2014 at 06:05.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle