Thread: questions of minor-importance: green arrows, and ev. highlightning of units

Default questions of minor-importance: green arrows, and ev. highlightning of units

is there a way to remove those green arrows which mark the crossover between continents, or continent and islands? ...since the range of each army, when highlighted, is anyway showing where one can cross.
    not a big thing i know, but for me they disturb the otherwise very good looking view of the campaing map. ..guess its not a big change which is solvable somewhere in the files of the game - would be nice if someone can tell me where to change this?

in battle the beautiful units itself are only distinguishable with using the radar-map. of course it looks better this way - but in complicated battles with many units that can be quite tedious. of course again, i dont like to use these awful green markers which are by standard in M2TW.
    is there maybe a way to make the choosen units highlighted like in EB1? ..if possible like back then i think this would be a good compromise, and would be happy for an answer on this.

thanks,
    Kleitos

Default Re: questions of minor-importance: green arrows, and ev. highlightning of units

I don't understand why the battle field unit highlight was removed, or can it be reactivated? I too don't like the green unit arrows. Also 'General Camera' doesn't work by default. I always have to go to 'Game Settings' and click 'Apply' at the start of every battle for it to work. There are some other annoying features, such as units with ladders and siege towers don't automatically start climbing once the equipment has been attached to the walls. It makes sieges just a little more difficult when using General Camera.

Are these just default M2TW "features", which cannot be fixed?

Default Re: questions of minor-importance: green arrows, and ev. highlightning of units

Quote Originally Posted by Kleitos View Post
    in battle the beautiful units itself are only distinguishable with using the radar-map. of course it looks better this way - but in complicated battles with many units that can be quite tedious. of course again, i dont like to use these awful green markers which are by standard in M2TW.
    is there maybe a way to make the choosen units highlighted like in EB1? ..if possible like back then i think this would be a good compromise, and would be happy for an answer on this.
    Open EBII.cfg in your base EBII folder (Medieval II Total War\Mods\EBII) and add the following line under [game]:
    disable_arrow_markers = 0

If disable_arrow_markers is already there, just set it to 0 instead of 1.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

well, i didnt had the green arrows in battles. if you set disable_arrow_markers to 0 - then you get them. just tried it.
    and changed it back again to 1.
    still, - if just highlightning the chosen ones is somehow possible - that would help a lot. ..like with EB1 - where the highlight only is visible when a unit is selcted.

The highlight should only be visible on the unit you selected. I'm not sure I understand you correctly here; you're getting green arrows even under troops you didn't select? If so, I've never come across that before, and can't seem to find any information on it. You might want to wait for an EB team member to come by. I did find something that might be related, though; this forum thread might have a solution.

Also, regarding removing the strait graphics, this site appears to have a solution, though I've never tried it myself.

Sorry I can't help you much. I hope you manage to fix this issue.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

thanks for your reply Sylon - but yes, that was a misunderstanding on the highlights in battles. ...i mean with highlights on selected units that the units itself are highlighted (just a bit brighter than unselected ones) - like in EB1.

i never used (or will use) the green arrow-markers beneath the units - i find they ruin the picture.

but your second suggestion regarding the landbridges really is what i was searchin for! i gonna try this solution before a next campaign.
    so thanks - that was a help
    Last edited by Kleitos; 09-11-2014 at 21:21.

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

is there a way to remove those green arrows which mark the crossover between continents, or continent and islands? ...since the range of each army, when highlighted, is anyway showing where one can cross.
    not a big thing i know, but for me they disturb the otherwise very good looking view of the campaing map. ..guess its not a big change which is solvable somewhere in the files of the game - would be nice if someone can tell me where to change this?
    It's not just an indicator of where one can cross a strait. There are several places where that can be done, and there's no arrows. The arrows mean that if you put a fleet there, it will prevent enemy land units from crossing. So it's a useful marker. Agreed that a green arrow isn't the prettiest thing, and we'll probably replace that with something else, someday. If you want to mod/remove them, search through the M2TW modification threads and there's probably instructions in there somewhere.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

ah didnt know that - never played the original M2TW (if it is a feature from there?). this makes the campaign even more interesting.
    then of course it makes perfectly sense to have a marker there.
    yes, something more subtle which fits into the campaign map would be nice - but of course now not an important thing.
    maybe i gonna try the solution from Sylons link - or search the M2TW mod threads for ev. other possibilities until then.
    thank you for this information

I don't quite understand the problem people have with green arrow markers. It's a clear visual that helps you to determine which unit (or units) you have selected. When you order your troops to do something you can always deselect (press Enter) them and the arrow markers disappear. Perhaps it's a matter of different play styles. I don't particularly like them, but I don't hate them either, because they are very functional. I'd rather have them them enabled to see which unit I have selected than have them disabled and guessing that I have selected the unit that I had intended to select.
    Total War

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

If you play with banners "on", the banners of selected units should "brighten" a little compared to others. It's a subtle effect and I can't confirm we did that in all cases. Test it and see if that works for you, now that you know what to look for.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

ok, thank you - i´ll try this ..with the new installation of 2.01 then ...still stunned over this early update

Still, with banners and arrow markers off, you can't distinguish which unit you have selected. The floating banners and green arrows are really in your face if you play with General Camera, so that's why I don't use them. On the other hand, not having the unit highlights is not necessarily a bad thing. You can still check the mini-map and the unit roster and see which icons are highlighted. It takes more steps to do it, but that can be put down to general confusion of battle. It's only realistic that orders are misinterpreted.

I seem to remember hearing the that "highlight selected unit" thingy was removed in MTW2. Can't be sure though since I've not really played vanilla MTW2 that much. I have no idea why they would remove it though. It was a great feature in rtw/eb1 for people(like me) who didn't like the green arrows under units. Although, I don't know if it's just me but the green arrows seem to be a lot less annoying in EB2 than they were in EB1(I think they made them smaller or something). So for now I've just kept them enabled.