Thread: Do I need to change CAS files if I just want to re-skin an existing unit?

Default Do I need to change CAS files if I just want to re-skin an existing unit?

Salutations, folks! I am fairly new to the modding scene in RTW so I require your input, please. I converted DDS format into TGA and reskinned the unit I wanted. I load the game up and the unit new tunic color is correct and the new armor looks fine up until the point where I zoomed out to the max level at which point the unit reverted to its original color. Is this related to changing .CAS files or something ? Is there a workaround since I don't have the time right now to learn about modelling units in GIMP or 3Dmax. Thank you very much!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Do I need to change CAS files if I just want to re-skin an existing unit?

Can't answer your question, but welcome back! It's been a while, hope all is well.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Default Re: Do I need to change CAS files if I just want to re-skin an existing unit?

Hello, Drone and thank you for the welcome! It's good to be back.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Do I need to change CAS files if I just want to re-skin an existing unit?

Welcome back .

When viewing units from a long distance, the graphics engine uses a sprite rather than the skin to represent the unit. From your description, it sounds like the problem lies there. I am not a modder myself, so I don't know how to mod sprites, but the thread on the CA spite generator seems like a good place to start.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Thank you, Ludens! You've identified the problem. In order to fix it, one should go to "preferences" in game and look for "UNIT_DETAIL" and set it to "HIGHEST". This should disable the sprites now altogether so that your units could look much better from afar.