Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Election Day in the USA -- Short term results and long term implications

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Election Day in the USA -- Short term results and long term implications

It is election day in the USA, though early voting is featured in more states then ever before.

Last moment polls suggest a GOP controlled Senate as well as HOR; numerous GOP governors (maybe even in New England) and a resurgence of the establishment GOP as opposed to the TEA party wingers.

For the rest of the World: Expect the USA to turn inwards with an Obamacare coming under fire and efforts at illegal immigrant amnesty generating a firestorm of controversy. We will continue to bumble along inconsistently in international affairs.

interactive map
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Blog Entries

Default Re: Election Day in the USA -- Short term results and long term implikcations

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    It is election day in the USA, though early voting is featured in more states then ever before.

Last moment polls suggest a GOP controlled Senate as well as HOR; numerous GOP governors (maybe even in New England) and a resurgence of the establishment GOP as opposed to the TEA party wingers.

For the rest of the World: Expect the USA to turn inwards with an Obamacare coming under fire and efforts at illegal immigrant amnesty generating a firestorm of controversy. We will continue to bumble along inconsistently in international affairs.

interactive map
    You have my condolences. Please explain what these polls are and how they are in any way an accurate prediction.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Election Day in the USA -- Short term results and long term implikcations

John Oliver chimes in.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Member thankful for this post:

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Regardless of the results, I don't expect anything to get accomplished in the next 2 years. If Congress is deadlocked, we get the same as we have now. If the GOP wins the Senate, Obama can (and will) veto whatever nonsense actually does get passed, and the Senate will go back to the Dems in 2016. And the campaign for 45 starts about 20 minutes after the polls close.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    John Oliver chimes in.
    Yeah, but I don't really care whether you can throw midgets in some parts of America.

What happens in Congress can affect me on, on the other hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Yeah, but I don't really care whether you can throw midgets in some parts of America.

What happens in Congress can affect me on, on the other hand.
    Trade standards do affect you, and they often come out of state legislation.

Passed by guys who would rather debate dwarf-throwing.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, two years of complete deadlock as a solution to the 'political crisis' is a great move for the electorate.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Forgot to post this:
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Forgot to post this:
    Now I feel like Ned Beatty.
    This space intentionally left blank

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

And the Republicans dont have a veto-proof majority so Obama is just going to veto everything anyways.

Something distressing I saw yesterday when I voted was that it was exclusively older white folk; I was the youngest person at the tender age of 22 to come so far that day (and I got there at 5pm). At least that is what one of the people who was working there that day said. I would say this explains why the Republicans managed to win so handily, as the demographics which brought victory to the Democrats the past few times were most likely absent.

Real shame, the political deadlock is just going to get worse, and people will soon realize that its congress who is to blame, not Obama as the GOP likes to argue.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 11-05-2014 at 14:24.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Maybe it's time to make Head of State and Head of government two separate positions in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Forgot to post this:
    "Hello, I'm into animal cruelty, but I would like to torture humans next! Vote for me!"

Maybe it's time to make Head of State and Head of government two separate positions in the US.
    Only if that adds a fourth layer of potential deadlock that people can vote for.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Would help be removing a lot of the "ceremonial" duties of the Presidency -- someone else could make the Presidential Freedom Award speeches and the like -- but the thrust of executive governance would remain the same.

Queen handles head of state ceremony -- PM all real duties

Israeli Pres handles head of state duties and serves as advisor at large -- PM runs the whole show (though the Knesset must seem like herding cats)
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Congrats, GC, don't get too baked.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Would help be removing a lot of the "ceremonial" duties of the Presidency -- someone else could make the Presidential Freedom Award speeches and the like -- but the thrust of executive governance would remain the same.

Queen handles head of state ceremony -- PM all real duties

Israeli Pres handles head of state duties and serves as advisor at large -- PM runs the whole show (though the Knesset must seem like herding cats)
    I'm not talking about workload distribution (you can dump all ceremonial duties on the VP, he's got less authority than European monarchs anyway), it is about avoiding deadlock and having a functional government that Congress can work with., so you could avoid having a head of government from party A having all his work blocked by party B who is in control of both Houses.

Also, having away with a two-party system would mitigate the problem somewhat.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, in spite of the implications of what's going to happen in the next two years (absolutely nothing), I'll be sorry to see this election cycle go. Partly because it's been the first time in over a decade that this hasn't been The Single Most Important Election Of Our Lifetime™. The endless posturing tends to get old, fast.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    You know, in spite of the implications of what's going to happen in the next two years (absolutely nothing), I'll be sorry to see this election cycle go. Partly because it's been the first time in over a decade that this hasn't been The Single Most Important Election Of Our Lifetime™. The endless posturing tends to get old, fast.
    Try living in Florida....vicious governors race (that convinced me both were unworthy), Congress, and medical marijuana

The ads were lethal in their intensity. I am not sorry to be done with it.

Try living in Florida....vicious governors race (that convinced me both were unworthy), Congress, and medical marijuana

The ads were lethal in their intensity. I am not sorry to be done with it.
    You missed out here in your old state. I didn't get any political robocalls, and the ads were fewer than I can ever remember. Not many signs littering the roads either.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    You missed out here in your old state. I didn't get any political robocalls, and the ads were fewer than I can ever remember. Not many signs littering the roads either.
    ...aaaah the Commonwealth with its periodic (if short-lived) moments of clarity.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Maybe its just me, or does Mitch McConnell look almost plastic here? Definitely getting a creepy vibe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	14742

EDIT: here too-

Views:	82 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	14743
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

This election result was expected more than a year ago. Congress always swings towards the opposition party during the last two years of a President's second term. This has been the pattern for every president since Truman I believe.

This election was not hyped because both sides were going to win key victories and neither side wants to waste resources on a pointless midterm before the 2016 primary cycle.

Oregon, Washington DC and Alaska have legalized marijuana. Kansas just had its same sex marriage ban struck down by the courts. Republicans took control of a Congress that will not actually do anything because the Republicans only want the ability to use this midterm as a referendum towards Democrats for 2016. Obama will veto, the Senate will filibuster, both sides go about planning for the future.

The only real tragedy is that Florida continues to be filled with voters mentally delirious from sun exposure. 58% in favor of medical marijuana is not enough because of a proposition passed in 2004 that requires a 60% vote or higher to pass. That same proposition requiring 60% approval was passed at the time with less than 60% approval. You really can't make this stuff up.

Everyone calm down and get ready for some entertaining primary elections...

Members thankful for this post (3):

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm actually a bit surprised about that. Maybe because Gillespie decided not to bother with NoVA?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Maybe its just me, or does Mitch McConnell look almost plastic here? Definitely getting a creepy vibe.

Views:	88 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	14742

EDIT: here too-

Views:	82 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	14743
    Only his embalmer knows for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Yeah, I'm actually a bit surprised about that. Maybe because Gillespie decided not to bother with NoVA?
    Could be, even though that race was closer than expected. Most of the ads I saw/heard were from Comstock, who crushed Foust for Wolf's old 10th seat. I can't really remember any ads from Foust, and not any spillover from the car salesman in the 8th either. The lowest margin if victory for the VA House races was 15%, so I think we are well and truly gerrymandered. While I dislike the foregone conclusion aspect of it all, it's nice to have some respite from the voter harassment masquerading as campaigning. I can only imagine the hell Florida voters go through...

This might be a stupid question, but why mid term elections?

Isn't it rather obvious that the democratic party wont go all-in when they know the president can only sit 2 more years anyway.

Also, why is this? Lots of democracies go without this rule, and they seem to do well enough.

From my perspective, this system only seem to be good if you really want a lame government who can't force an agenda. Admittedly this might be a reason of its own, but really, is that a good way to run politics?

I don't mean to troll or derail, I am just honestly interested in the reasoning here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but why mid term elections?
    The terms for House representatives, senators, and the president reflect the purposes and constituency of their roles as originally intended. The House representatives are the people, they are supposed to reflect the current will of the populace. Senators are supposed to represent the States, they are meant to be a more stable part of the government. Hence the 6 year term and staggered term endpoints. The president is meant to be a mixture of both, thus the 4 year term and the electoral college.

This kind of falls apart when the Senate no longer represents the States, and presidential term limits are enacted. Prior to the 17th amendment, State legislators selected senators when their terms came due.

The terms for House representatives, senators, and the president reflect the purposes and constituency of their roles as originally intended. The House representatives are the people, they are supposed to reflect the current will of the populace. Senators are supposed to represent the States, they are meant to be a more stable part of the government. Hence the 6 year term and staggered term endpoints. The president is meant to be a mixture of both, thus the 4 year term and the electoral college.

This kind of falls apart when the Senate no longer represents the States, and presidential term limits are enacted. Prior to the 17th amendment, State legislators selected senators when their terms came due.
    Good info, but may I ask what your thoughts on it is?

I get the idea, at large. But it seems to work really bad?

See, in the nations I have dwelled in, you elect a ruling party every X years. They then have more or less free reign, until the next election. The only controlling factor is that if they do bad, they will be punished in the next election. We also assume they want to do good (and practise show they try).

So what are the benefits of having a system where the ruling party gets deadlocked mid term?

The way we see it here, is that it's better that one party can make decisions, than it is to have a non-functional government.

Don't read me wrong, I don't flame the idea... I am just curious on the thoughts and practices behind it.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

I think this is going to be a big 2 years for getting things passed. Obama and the GOP Congress are going to get along just fine - passing bill after bill with enough in there for both interests.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    I get the idea, at large. But it seems to work really bad?

See, in the nations I have dwelled in, you elect a ruling party every X years. They then have more or less free reign, until the next election. The only controlling factor is that if they do bad, they will be punished in the next election. We also assume they want to do good (and practise show they try).

So what are the benefits of having a system where the ruling party gets deadlocked mid term?
    There is not supposed to be a "ruling party". The theory was that we elect people, not parties (political parties are not in the Constitution). But even with parties, the control is split amongst the branches. The checks that exist between the branches of government are meant to be roadblocks, something most parliamentary democracies are lacking. The UK system gives me the heebies, especially since they neutered the Lords. "Free reign" of government is what the Founding Fathers were trying to prevent.

The system is supposed to work through compromise, the GOP has opted to watch the world burn instead. A lot of this can be blamed on the Democratic leadership, their ineptness knows no bounds, but Congress is fundamentally broken since the two houses are essentially identical. There were problems with the old way of selecting senators, but the consequences of removing State power from Congress are being felt.

Yeah, for me I see the parties as wanting two shades of the same thing. Democrats want purple cows with white stripes while the republicans want white cows with purple stripes. It makes no sense to me so I don't vote for anything above local govt. They are normally the only ones that I see get anything done around me. The second it goes above county it seems like nothing gets past the whole "my idea is better than your idea so i wont listen to your thoughts stage."
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast