Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ukraine conflict episode 2 Putin´s Empire strikes back

Dang, I would have loved to see that on top of the london shard.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-11-2014 at 18:45.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Short circuit.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Members thankful for this post (2):

HusarIce 

http://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/240021.html
    http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/12/1...ratist-leader/
    https://news.pn/en/RussiaInvadedUkraine/121155
    http://www.mk.ru/politics/2014/12/15...yu-rossii.html, in which the former deputy of Russian President's Administration says (among other things) that his boss Surkov had in his office a map of Russia hanging on the wall with Crimea as a part of it as far back as 2013.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 12-16-2014 at 07:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post

Short circuit.
    The ruble appears to be having issues. Interest rate jacked up to 17% and it's still in free fall. It's December 16th, and Putin may still be a fascist, but he's a fascist in charge of a crumbling economy. Low oil prices have Russia burning through their foreign reserves. So, umm, yeah fracking!?!

While it might be fun to watch Putin squirm, I have a feeling this is going to get ugly.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I hope the Russian people forcefully remove Putin out of the Kremlin on Christmas Day. This is what happens when you go all in on basing your entire economy and power off of commodities.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Sanctions do have an effect.

Problem is this is a world economy so sanctions are a case of cutting off ones own nose.

Mind you this is also a preview of what will happen when more nations go nuclear power. The oil producing nations will then have to value add to their products whilst experiencing an economic crunch.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    The ruble appears to be having issues. Interest rate jacked up to 17% and it's still in free fall. It's December 16th, and Putin may still be a fascist, but he's a fascist in charge of a crumbling economy. Low oil prices have Russia burning through their foreign reserves. So, umm, yeah fracking!?!

While it might be fun to watch Putin squirm, I have a feeling this is going to get ugly.
    Off-shore wells in the Gulf of Mexico ftw?

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Sanctions do have an effect.

Problem is this is a world economy so sanctions are a case of cutting off ones own nose.

Mind you this is also a preview of what will happen when more nations go nuclear power. The oil producing nations will then have to value add to their products whilst experiencing an economic crunch.
    It's not entirely true that sanctions have had no effect - the reciprocal tit-for tat has isolated Russia's other sectors from important markets in Europe and the US - this has driven up prices for commodities whilst reducing the profits of domestic producers (because they can only sell domestically) and that has helped to drive inflation - that has resulted in a punitive rate rise and now we are starting to see Capital Flight.

So sanctions have had an effect - they have reduced the ability of Russia to respond to the drop in oil prices.

Edit: And I missed my overall point.

Viz. Russia is one country (albeit a large one) and no where near the size of Europe and the US - so it hurts Russia more than us.

Even so, it looks like Russia has about ten months of reserves before they get into real trouble. That means Putin has about six to nine months to solve his problem, or for the price of oil to rise.

So the question is how much the Ukrainian military can dig in before the winter is over. Around February or March the rebels are likely to try a new offensive. If Russia is by then less keen to finance them then the Ukrainians may be able to hold ground long enough to break the offensive. If Ukraine goes on offensive then they'll lose, but if they don't then the Rebellion may run out of steam. Sooner or later rebel infrastructure will start to break down unless they can get a real economy going, and with only Russia to export to they may have no one to sell to when Russia is broke.

Of course, Putin may run the opposite calculation - if Russia's economy is tanking he will want to divert attention from that or find a way to blame the West - backing the Rebel offensive will trigger more sanctions and give him at least a semi-plausible cover for Russia's economic ills.

All of which means things are getting a lot worse for everyone before they get better.
    Last edited by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus; 12-18-2014 at 03:37.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Off-shore wells in the Gulf of Mexico ftw?
    Actually it is more due to Canada and the American midwest (think Dakotas not Iowa) than anything else. Shale oil is only economically profitable when you reach prices close to what they were before the free fall (around $100 a barrel). The real story going on here is whether or not Obama made a deal with Saudi Arabia and other OPEC countries to purposely keep supply of oil high in order to bankrupt Russia. While many OPEC countries are in the same situation as Russia (their budgets depend on $100 a barrel) they also have large amounts of money stored and in return for burning some of their reserves they are attempting to secure their dominance in the market by making sure that shale oil production is halted or rolled back in the US and Canada.

I guess the winner depends on who can stretch their reserves out the longest, Russia or Saudi Arabia?

Also, one last thing PVC, just because Russia has 10 months of reserves, does not mean he has 10 months of time to regroup. The Ruble is continuing to crash and Russian citizens will be almost completely swept away in inflation by the end of January if this same downward trend continues. The currency crash should not be downplayed. If the news I read is accurate, this is the biggest crash since 1998 which ended up in Russia defaulting. Apparently, the west bailed them out back then but now who does Putin have on his side?
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 12-18-2014 at 05:33. Reason: EDIT: Herp derp, wrote Ohio instead of Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I hope the Russian people forcefully remove Putin out of the Kremlin on Christmas Day. This is what happens when you go all in on basing your entire economy and power off of commodities.
    As far as I can judge, Russian people blame not Putin, but the West. Russian propaganda makes sure that, whatever Putin does, the USA is ultimately the villain guilty of all Russia's setbacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Sooner or later rebel infrastructure will start to break down unless they can get a real economy going, and with only Russia to export to they may have no one to sell to when Russia is broke.
    Rebels don't need any infrastructure since all they need for war they get from Russia. Infrastructure is neccessary for the people of the rebel-held areas to somehow keep afloat. The rebels can do without it as long as:
    1. Russia goes on supplying them just enough to keep the civilians on the verge of hunger.
    2. Russia goes on supplying them military-wise to keep hold of the civilians who might protest.
    3. Local and Russian propaganda goes on feeding civilians with terrifying news of Ukrainian punitive soldiers massacring locals en masse.

I guess the winner depends on who can stretch their reserves out the longest, Russia or Saudi Arabia?
    The answer is evident since the sheikhs invest (or save) the money they get from selling oil and it eventually finds the way to the people's pockets, while in Russia the money gets embezzled and/or goes to the pockets of oligarchs who are not likely to share with the rest of the population.
    Edit: want a bet?
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politi...rp_ids=1974697
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 12-18-2014 at 08:00.

I somehow sense a change in the behavior of the Lugandon leaders. For approximately 2 weeks they have been displaying an unusual eagerness (so different from their previous reluctance for any compromises) for a new meeting in Minsk. Kyiv, on the contrary, seems to be playing for time being in no hurry to resume negotiations claiming (through Kuchma and thus off the record) that there is no use in a new meeting since the previous agreement's stipulations were not observed by the separatists. Another news (well, rather a rumor) that "the president of DPR" Zakharchenko (who has been missed since December 1) is held house-arrested by Russian secret service. Could there be any connection between the two events? Or can the ruble collapse have pushed the separatists (or rather their Moscow supervisors) to something other than shelling and mud-slinging Ukrainian military?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    As far as I can judge, Russian people blame not Putin, but the West. Russian propaganda makes sure that, whatever Putin does, the USA is ultimately the villain guilty of all Russia's setbacks.
    The western propaganda makes you believe this.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    The western propaganda makes you believe this.
    If we don't take into account the Ukrainian sources I'm more exposed to Russian ones, the western propaganda reaches me only as a faint echo. Like this one:http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/188881
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 12-20-2014 at 19:24.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...om-support-act
    I wonder what implications it may have.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Yes - Ukraine is now officially no longer "non-aligned."

This is a direct result of Russian-sponsored terrorism. Russia will blame the West and ramp things up but, really, what else can the Ukrainians do?

Assuming Russia bites off another chunk of the country (possible given Crimea) it's going to be increasingly difficult to safeguard the remainder without NATO.

I can't wait for Putin's regime to experience December 1991 all over again.

Some update on the issue:
    http://windowoneurasia2.blogspot.com...-official.html
    http://telegraf.com.ua/ukraina/mestn...-boevikov.html
    The second features an intercepted conversation of Dryomov, one of the heads of LNR cossacks who claims to have personally talked to Medvedev. The latter promised all kinds of help, primarily the military one. Dryomov is boasting that Medvedev has given him his personal telephone number and is still astonished that such an insignificant man as he deems himself to be got direct access to the Russian prime minister.
    The general trend of the last two weeks is replacement or annihilation of unruly separatists and gathering the occupied area under one hand.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...the-carpenter/
    https://news.pn/en/RussiaInvadedUkraine/122614
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 01-03-2015 at 19:10.

The heart of evil, to some known as Moscow

I can't wait for Putin's regime to experience December 1991 all over again.
    Well, it would likely bring those into power whom we as the West do not want there, hawkish members of the vast Russian security apparatus for instance. Do not expect the economic-liberal faction inside the Russian political elite to succeed in a violent struggle for power. I think the world is better of with Putin than with a 'silovik' (term for members of the security apparatus) ruling Russia.

The worst outcome would be what was narrowly avoided in 1991 and 1993: anarchy in a country with a stockpile of several thousand nuclear warheads. Even the most hawkish hardliner in D.C. and Brussels should see that it cannot be the West's interest to 'put Russia on its knees'.

Quote Originally Posted by GenosseGeneral View Post
    Well, it would likely bring those into power whom we as the West do not want there, hawkish members of the vast Russian security apparatus for instance. Do not expect the economic-liberal faction inside the Russian political elite to succeed in a violent struggle for power. I think the world is better of with Putin than with a 'silovik' (term for members of the security apparatus) ruling Russia.

The worst outcome would be what was narrowly avoided in 1991 and 1993: anarchy in a country with a stockpile of several thousand nuclear warheads. Even the most hawkish hardliner in D.C. and Brussels should see that it cannot be the West's interest to 'put Russia on its knees'.
    Putin is a hawkish member of the vast Russian security apparatus.

Also, nobody wants Russia on it's knees - they just want Russia out of Ukraine, and Georgia, and Moldova.

Furthermore, Putin's stategy has done nothing but alienate the countries Russia meddles in. It's a case of griping sand so tightly it slips through your fingers.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by GenosseGeneral View Post
    I think the world is better of with Putin than with a 'silovik' (term for members of the security apparatus) ruling Russia.
    Putin with his KGB background is a silovik himself.
    On last hours of Yanukovych as a president:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/wo...sted.html?_r=0

It is January 5th, 2015 and Putin is still a fascist.

It is January 5th, 2015 and Putin is still a fascist.
    Not in most of Asia and Australia.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Last edited by Gilrandir; 01-06-2015 at 15:27.

What Russia looks like today:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russia today.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	14826
    And an extract from a menu in Russia: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	????.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	14827
    In Russian it says "Ukrainian borsch", but English-speakers mustn't know it is Ukrainian.
    And one more curious development:
    http://www.newsweek.com/fourth-russi...ss-year-297055
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 01-07-2015 at 18:15.

What Russia looks like today:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russia today.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	14826
    And an extract from a menu in Russia: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	????.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	14827
    You are getting desperate.
    In Russian it says "Ukrainian borsch", but English-speakers mustn't know it is Ukrainian.
    Because Americans know what comprises a Ukrainian dish. Right? Those pesky Indians in the nearby town doing the same thing with their dishes is an outrage!
    Not sure what this has to do with anything.

Because Americans know what comprises a Ukrainian dish. Right? Those pesky Indians in the nearby town doing the same thing with their dishes is an outrage!
    It's not about ingredients (they are the same), it is about the name. Why change it?

Not sure what this has to do with anything.
    Who knows...

It's not about ingredients (they are the same), it is about the name. Why change it?
    A Bolshevik-jew conspiracy!
    Plenty of people think it is Russian anyway, maybe they wanted to use the chance to present both points of view for a fair and balanced menu card.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

You are looking into it too deeply. I am sure the genocide of the Ukrainian people will not start with borsch.
    Who knows...
    What does the liver say today?

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Plenty of people think it is Russian anyway, maybe they wanted to use the chance to present both points of view for a fair and balanced menu card.
    Funny that one point is in Russian, another in English. That is for inner consumption it is a Ukrainian dish, for foreigners it is a Russian. Lost in translation?

Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast