Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1561

Thread: Ukraine Thread

Default Re: UKRAINE thread

most of their fleet ice-locked for half the year.
    Well...
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    You Americans, so sentimental.

Shutting Russia out of the Crimea and Karlingrad leaves most of their fleet ice-locked for half the year.

NATO is an alliance of convenience, strategic convenience, and Russian aggression is inconvenient - makes trade difficult.

Plus - it's 27/06/19 and Putin is still basically a Fascist.
    Are the British any better? May supported returning Russia to PACE. After Salisbury poisoning too!
    Conclusion: when it is about the money values are forgotten.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 06-28-2019 at 14:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Proofs of Russian involvement in Ukraine summarized:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-human-rights

Just want to post some good news: Russian alcohol consumption has decreased by 43% from its 2003 peak, and life expectancy has reached an all-time high.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Just want to post some good news: Russian alcohol consumption has decreased by 43% from its 2003 peak, and life expectancy has reached an all-time high.
    And that bears on Ukraine because...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Close enough for Org standards. The only other option is the Weird News thread.
    Vitiate Man.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Might have been a better option, maybe a mod could move it?

How's this new President working out, anyway?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

How's this new President working out, anyway?
    If you are addressing me, then he is a liar totally unfit for his position who was carried into his office by accident and he is digging himself into a deeper hole with almost every step he takes. That wouldn't be a problem with me if he weren't dragging the whole country into the same hole after him.
    Sorry if it was too long and distracted the orgahs from discussing merits of Brexit and shortcomings of Trump.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 10-03-2019 at 16:59.

he is a liar totally unfit for his position who was carried into his office by accident and he is digging himself into a deeper hole with almost every step he takes. That wouldn't be a problem with me if he weren't dragging the whole country into the same hole after him.
    Hey, seems to be a lot of that going around. Wonder what's causing it?
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

If you are addressing me, then he is a liar totally unfit for his position who was carried into his office by accident and he is digging himself into a deeper hole with almost every step he takes. That wouldn't be a problem with me if he weren't dragging the whole country into the same hole after him.
    Sorry if it was too long and distracted the orgahs from discussing merits of Brexit and shortcomings of Trump.
    Well, that's disappointing. I hoped he might just be honest but inept.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    Hey, seems to be a lot of that going around. Wonder what's causing it?
    I wonder if what we're seeing is the generations exposed to the most leaded petrol finally coming to power? Or just leaded petrol in the voters?

If you mean honest = not a thief, that is so far correct (as far as we know). But if you mean honest = not lying, that is certainly not the case.

The basic premise of his electoral campaign was "I'm not one of those corrupt liars that have been running the counrty since 1991. Those politicains live in their one world and know nothing of the hardships of the people and don't do anything to alleviate them. I'm just a guy next door who will make Ukraine into a prosperous and peaceful country."

His started his campaign with a heartfelt video where he asked if Ukrainians were tired of presidents who gave offices to their army pals and business partners. He promised to stop that practice and hold competitions so that any person could apply and take a state office. He also promised to step down the moment he broke any law. He stated that the war in Eastern Ukraine was going on because it was profitable for the then authorities who only hollered about Russia the aggressor but in fact had business in Russia and with Russia. He said that he would issue a decree that will forbid any official who held some state position in 2014-1019 to do it again since everything they did has brought the country to the brink of a precipice. And his said that his advent would spell the end of the age of poverty.

And he became the president.

What did he do then? Then he started appointing to the offices his showbiz partners, his wife's classmates and nieces of his firends. Most of them were inadequate for their new positions. For example, the persom who wrote scripts for his shows and has been his childhood buddy became the head of the secret service (SBU). One of those appointments was the head of his office which was against the law which states that any person who had state positions in 2010-2014 couldn't have them again (aka lustration).

He dissolved the parliament (a highly dubious move as far as its legality is concerned) stating that the reason for it was the low level of trust that the parliament enjoyed according to polls.

The promised competitions were held in a couple of cases and are largely forgotten now. The person who won one of them was appointed his press secretary and she has become notorious in a very short time for her verbal rudeness and physical attacks against journalists who wanted to interview the president (and recieved his approval for it).
    https://ua.news/ru/video-press-sekre...a-zhurnalista/
    Never mind the text, just watch the video.
    The president just made fun of the accidents, as befits a comedian.

Then it was discovered that Zelensky was getting profits from a company that operated in Russia shooting movies and receiving payments directly from the Russian state budget. The people he brought with him were also reported to have business in Russia. As an example, the head of the regional administration of my region appointed by Zelensky bought real estate and land in Russia in 2016-2017.

He traveled around the country giving soviet style dressing downs to local officials and city mayors (which he has no right to do since he didn't appoint them, they were elected by people and answerable to people only).

He made some officials resign stating that he had proofs that they were involved in illegal activities connected with customs service and amber mining. How do you like it? No charges, no arrests, just get out of here, willya?

Then despite of his lustration lipservice he left the minister of interior, the head of the national bank, the finance minister to keep their positions (what about the brink of precipice they brought the country to?). His new ministers said that they will continue the policy of the previous ministers of healthcare and education (no precipice here either?).

When his party (featuring wedding photographers and MCs on the roster) got a landslide victory at the parliamentary elections he started to concentrate all power in his hands by dissolving central electoral committee (which held two democtratic and transparent elections where he and his party won), having the parliament let him appoint the heads of anti-corruption agencies and the National Guard.

And his foreign policy is mostly a flop. Under his presidency Russia was returned to PACE and only a couple of days ago he agreed to the Steinmeyer formula on Donbas which persupposes holding elections in the occupied territories without Russia withdrawing its troops and with Russia retaining control of the border with DNR/LNR.

And no end to the age of poverty in the offing, so far.

Yet many people are still applauding his decisions and are ready to cheer at every full stop in his speeches. For example, my mother-in-law who has a small business and was (and is) his ardent supporter was informed that now she would have to install cash registers in her small booths which will incur great expenses. She is sure that it is the local authorities who wreak this havoc and doesn't want to believe that it is the parliament (where Zelensky's party has an overwhelming majority) that adopts such laws.

I can only hope that more people will eventually open there eyes and see what plague they have brought to power.

I spoke to a guy who stated he was voting for Trump back in 2016. His reasoning was that current politicians are so corrupt, that they need an outsider to freshen things up. This guy is a college professor at one of the most prestigious universities on the east coast. He was my professor some time ago. He really drank the "drain the swamp" koolaid. I can't understand the logic of people thinking that some random dude seriously cares about THEM and is going to help THEM and fix everything just because "everyone else is corrupt".

I can't tell if there was masterful social engineering at work or if critical thinking is a lost art.

I wonder if what we're seeing is the generations exposed to the most leaded petrol finally coming to power? Or just leaded petrol in the voters?
    I just wish I had something to argue against. I can argue with religious fanatics or even racists. I can't argue with "he is upsetting the right people". It's like a cry from a person that is so totally hopeless that they want to take everyone else down with them. It's narcissistic and impractical at the same time.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Even if a candidate has the best intentions (Zhelensky didn't), nepotism and corruption cannot be influenced decisively by a single change in the presidential office. It's easy to believe that difficult problems can be fixed with easy solutions, but reality is somewhat grimmer. Ukraine will become a more transparent and efficient country only gradually and slowly, while Zhelensky will probably experience a meteoric fall, similar to his recent rise. Unless he's a talented orator and can distract the sheep by vandalising old statues.
    It's fine Gilrandir, the Ukrainian TV mentioned it around 4 a.m. yesterday, so that makes it totally on-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    It's easy to believe that difficult problems can be fixed with easy solutions
    This was what Zelensky promised during his election campaign. When asked how can the war in Donbas be stopped he said "One just has to stop shooting".

Ukraine will become a more transparent and efficient country only gradually and slowly
    It was moving that way, but evidently many people thought that the movement shoud be rocket like - and elected the one who promised that.

It's fine Gilrandir, the Ukrainian TV mentioned it around 4 a.m. yesterday, so that makes it totally on-topic.
    You watch Ukrainian TV at 4 a.m?
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 10-05-2019 at 16:25.

This was what Zelensky promised during his election campaign. When asked how can the war in Donbas be stopped he said "One just has to stop shooting".

It was moving that way, but evidently many people thought that the movement shoud be rocket like - and elected the one who promised that.

You watch Ukrainian TV at 4 a.m?
    At least people are voting for someone who promised change - even if it was false change.

It's a kind of hope, which is a kind of progress.

At least people are voting for someone who promised change - even if it was false change.

It's a kind of hope, which is a kind of progress.
    People always vote for someone (or something) who/that promises changes. You did this in case of Brexit, did you? Even if people support those who are at power they do that because they are promised to have "better us", "us 2.0". I believe it is a characteristic trait of humans - never to be satisfied with what they have and aspire for the better (when they vote for changes they always presume that the change will be for the better). So it isn't a problem for me.

The problem is that Zelensky presented himself (probably as Trump did) as a total opposite to politicians, as an average guy around the corner who built a successful self and knows how to build a successful country. He wanted to look an epitome of us (ordinary people) vs politicians of all views who lie, steal, embezzle, grab power and don't know how to rule the country. I somehow saw through this guise and never bought his promises. Like when he said he wouldn't hire his friends and business partners. But it is a natural thing to do - you surround yourself with those who you know and who you can rely upon. Why do you need to lie that you will hire total strangers? And all of this can be said about other promises of his. And all of this is very often exacerbated by the professional inadequacy of the people appointed by him.

People always vote for someone (or something) who/that promises changes. You did this in case of Brexit, did you? Even if people support those who are at power they do that because they are promised to have "better us", "us 2.0". I believe it is a characteristic trait of humans - never to be satisfied with what they have and aspire for the better (when they vote for changes they always presume that the change will be for the better). So it isn't a problem for me.

The problem is that Zelensky presented himself (probably as Trump did) as a total opposite to politicians, as an average guy around the corner who built a successful self and knows how to build a successful country. He wanted to look an epitome of us (ordinary people) vs politicians of all views who lie, steal, embezzle, grab power and don't know how to rule the country. I somehow saw through this guise and never bought his promises. Like when he said he wouldn't hire his friends and business partners. But it is a natural thing to do - you surround yourself with those who you know and who you can rely upon. Why do you need to lie that you will hire total strangers? And all of this can be said about other promises of his. And all of this is very often exacerbated by the professional inadequacy of the people appointed by him.
    I think the connection to Trump is apt - as John Oliver said, now anyone CAN be President. My point was more the kind of change people are voting for.

OK, in reality Zelensky is little better in terms of corruption than his predecessors, is at all, but at least the change he was promising was more than simply "higher pay, better job." At the very least the fact that his narrative of less corruption and more transparency caught fire shows that these are the things a lot of Ukrainians are prioritising.

That seems a positive thing in itself given you're in the middle of a civil ware - despite which the country didn't elect a former general.

That seems a positive thing in itself given you're in the middle of a civil ware - despite which the country didn't elect a former general.
    I thought that everybody realizes it is not a CIVIL war. The fact that there are Ukrainians across the frontline doesn't make it civil since it was started, is financed, supplied with weapons, ammo, fuel and regular army incursions at crucial moments by Russia. Moreover, Russia finances not only the combatants, but the civilians as well, the currency that is in circulation there is the Russian ruble and all leaders of the so called DNR and LNR were formerly Russian citizens and are now Russian stooges appointed and replaced at will from the Kremlin.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I thought that everybody realizes it is not a CIVIL war. The fact that there are Ukrainians across the frontline doesn't make it civil since it was started, is financed, supplied with weapons, ammo, fuel and regular army incursions at crucial moments by Russia. Moreover, Russia finances not only the combatants, but the civilians as well, the currency that is in circulation there is the Russian ruble and all leaders of the so called DNR and LNR were formerly Russian citizens and are now Russian stooges appointed and replaced at will from the Kremlin.
    Of course our leadership cadres are aware of this. Some choose to believe the fig-leaf, others confront with words, none of our governments is willing to risk war with Russia to stop it. I have said that before and I have yet to see compelling evidence that that will change or that anything short of that will sway the Kremlin.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Of course our leadership cadres are aware of this. Some choose to believe the fig-leaf, others confront with words, none of our governments is willing to risk war with Russia to stop it. I have said that before and I have yet to see compelling evidence that that will change or that anything short of that will sway the Kremlin.
    I didn't mean authorities of any country, I meant people on these boards.

JIT on MH17 acknowledges that Russian top officials are implicated (including Shoygu and Surkov). Now there is the final step to make: to own up to the fact that NO Russian official involved in the war in Donbas could take important decisions that were not approved by Putin.
    https://www.politie.nl/themas/flight...rash-mh17.html

On how civil the war in Ukraine was/is.
    https://112.international/conflict-i...014-47203.html

A good summary of what Zelensky has (not) achieved in relations with Russia for a year of his presidency.
    https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blog...seYHeuJEkc4eKY

A new Russian church celebrating victory in World War II.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Без названия.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	23823

Is is me or has Isengard come alive?

Members thankful for this post (2):

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Gil, how do you view President Zelensky so far? My Ukrainian friends are rather neutral, something of a so-so attitude towards him.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Gil, how do you view President Zelensky so far? My Ukrainian friends are rather neutral, something of a so-so attitude towards him.
    As Thorin in The Hobbit (the real one, the book, I mean) put it, "my mind doesn't change with the rising and setting of a few suns". So, my attitude to him hasn't changed - I consider him an incompetent impostor. All his campaign was built on anti-establishment rhetoric like "look what these criminal politicians have done to the country. I'm not like them. I'm one of you. I'm a guy next door. I won't lie, steal, and embezzle." But he does everything all the Ukrainian politicians do - gives his former showbiz colleagues official positions, has business with Russia, surreptitiously goes to warm countries for vacations, moves around in road trains of no less than 14 cars, etc. And all this is coupled with blatant incomptence both of himself and the people he appoints.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 06-16-2020 at 04:31.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

But according to the polls he seemed to be faring quite well in the first year? 2019 that is.

I've looked at some articles in the Kyiv Post as well, he had a good grasp in the first year and now it's tumbling, especially with the new cabinet. I don't know too much about what is happening there, just some articles, so feel free to add details.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    But according to the polls he seemed to be faring quite well in the first year? 2019 that is.

I've looked at some articles in the Kyiv Post as well, he had a good grasp in the first year and now it's tumbling, especially with the new cabinet. I don't know too much about what is happening there, just some articles, so feel free to add details.
    According to polls people still favor him over others, but it may be not his achievement, but the shortcomings of others. Yet his support has dropped dramatically since the elections. Why do still many people like him? His pre-election charm of a fair-haired boy next door seems to linger. Many of those who voted for him (like my mother-in-law) are sure that all the problems of his reign must be caused by the plots and intrigues of his opponenets. Ministers, deputies, prosecutors - everybody may be at fault (to say nothign of the previous , but not Zelensky (who brought all of them to power in his wake). Economy is on a decline which started in late 2019 (long before COVID reached us) and experts attribute it to the incompetence of Zelensky's ministers. And now he started to persecute Poroshenko on ridicluous charges to cover up for blunders in economy.

Just one of the examples that are in my sphere - education. We don't have a full-fledged minister yet - only an acting one. The candidate that Zelensky wants to appoint was caught more than once in plagiarism, but he still speaks of him as the likeliest candidate for the post.
    Such poor personnel positioning seems to be a hallmark of Zelensky's.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

22 June 2020 CE

Status: Putin is still a fascist. Trump is still a fascist wannabe. Ukraine's government still cannot get its act together. Nobody is willing to face down Russia.

Miss anything?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    22 June 2020 CE

Status: Putin is still a fascist. Trump is still a fascist wannabe. Ukraine's government still cannot get its act together. Nobody is willing to face down Russia.

Miss anything?
    https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/in-d...ary-infektion/

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253 LastLast