Thread: My First Ever Mod:

Default My First Ever Mod:

So, I know I missed the boat by like 11 years here, but my fetish is for v1.1 of the original Medieval: Total War game. I like the units and the factions that can be tweaked and messed around with, but I made a Dark Age mod, had a blast with the changes to the "changes", "variables", "names", "discriptions", "start_pos", and the "units-prod" files. ;)

Headache after headache and twenty CTD's later it was perfect and I played as king arthor at the head of Sarmatian Knights in Britain, with romano-celtic legions fighting a horde of Angals, Saxons, and Kents. ;P

Then I removed it and started from barebones with the FN_POLISH and turned them into the Romans. (because the already had a good color and an eagle on the banner ) and reworked it as a mod for the Roman era. ;)

CTD after CTD and headache after headache later I have a mod I'm in love with! :P

All I need to do now is edit the building file to limit certain factions from being able to build huge citadels. Its like the Rome Mod I loved so much as a teen that I guess just can't be found any longer for download as I searched for months looking for it.

This all started as I installed my game for the first time in years, and witnessed the destruction of my prized VI disk. :(

It shattered in the disk drive! No biggy, removed the shard laden old drive, installed a slightly better drive in a very old but perfect for MTW or STW system. ;P

Then I fresh installed the original game and as stated, I hunted for that lovely mod I think is lost to the universe. Said, screw it! Bout time I learned to do this crap myself! So here I am.

My question is if anyone has a link to the ancient graphics tools used to edit shields, units, and maps, and if anyone can tell me how to change faction colors in the 1.1 version?

I know there are lots of rebel colorations and was wondering if any could be used for the playable factions?

Lastly, I changed the names in the "names" file but certain names recure in campaign mode. It's not a major issue but the "Henry" for a Roman surname is pretty goofy! ;P Same with my Almohad Cathaginian's having Muslim names, and Sicilian Sabines being named "Roger". lol

Thanks for taking time to read my sob story, and if you'd like to see what I did in changes let me know. I can post those files but haven't got them on flash drive ATM. :)

Cheer's!
    Last edited by Kront the King; 12-22-2014 at 17:25.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: My First Ever Mod:

Welcome to the Org!

I don't know much about modding apart from the basic text file manipulation, but the tools should still be around on our host server or our Mizus clan backup directory. I don't know the specific ones you need (LukMap and BIF tools probably), but they should be in one of those places.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member thankful for this post:

Cool Re: My First Ever Mod:

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Welcome to the Org!

I don't know much about modding apart from the basic text file manipulation, but the tools should still be around on our host server or our Mizus clan backup directory. I don't know the specific ones you need (LukMap and BIF tools probably), but they should be in one of those places.
    Hey, hey!

Thank you for a blazing fast reply! :)

Much obliged, for the links!

I need all of them, because I haven't got the first one, and I really want to do some graphic changes to units, maybe even map edits to make more provences and rework the map to look Roman Era.

PS: If you know where I can get a map that has been tooled already that would be even better! Thanks again, bro!

Cheers!

Admin, is reviewing my first post, my double post! lol, I would hope they delete one as they say basically the same thing twice, because I didn't realize they had to sift each post for vugarity or whatever. lol

Anyway, hope they get to it soon and if they do double the posts you understand why. ;P

I thank, drone, for the tools links. Lots of goodies in that bag, but none/few pre-VI in it I believe. The faction color editor wont help in v.1.1, so I was wondering if anyone has a rip of the VI disk that I can use to modify the start_pos files with or upgrade the expansion entirely with. This game is so ancient I don't know why the makers would be so angry about infringement when they got the 3rd/4th gen games out now. They will get their sales royalties regardless, but what about us broke but loyal fans who just can't put the money up for the newer set? :(

Boo-hoo, no one likes a looser I guess. But that is a very unfortunate viewpoint. Anyway, looking for the "LukMap" tool but can't find it, and if I do, is it just for the VI version?

Thanks to anyone who cares to answer. ;)

My bad on the posts, new posts that need reviewing don't show up on the main page, so I missed them. Not my favorite VB feature...

Quote Originally Posted by Kront the King View Post
    Look in the "LMM" folder of the AtomicGamer link I posted. I think there are guides and examples there as well.

On the faction color, I don't think you can change that without the VI expansion. According to Axalon in this thread, and he should know as he has Redux for both versions.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

I figure that was the case just trying to run the color editor. I could tell the action is only for the start_pos file of your prospective mod.

What I want to try is to see if I can build a VI editable version of a start_pos that will work with v1.1 or I might have to bite the bullet and get a gold pack. ;(

I know the build a script approach is very ambitious but I hate that CA won't just release these old files to the public.

But if I recall, you can't play VI without the disk the way I want to try and do it, so I might be screwed. If you could DL the VI original expansion files on a disk to run as the play disk did I might be able to do it, but it's not looking good for color customization. lol

Thanks again, drone-dawg! ;P I thank you for taking the time to rap with me. :)
    Last edited by Kront the King; 12-24-2014 at 20:41. Reason: typo's

No problem, hopefully you can get things working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kront the King View Post
    I know the build a script approach is very ambitious but I hate that CA won't just release these old files to the public.
    STW/MTW are in limbo for some reason. My uneducated guess is that the rights to the games don't fully belong to CA, but to EA/Activision (the publishers), hence why we haven't seen versions available on Steam or GOG.

STW/MTW are in limbo for some reason. My uneducated guess is that the rights to the games don't fully belong to CA, but to EA/Activision (the publishers), hence why we haven't seen versions available on Steam or GOG.
    It's always that way. A, can't do it because B holds a royalty and C own the distribution rights so neither A or B could release it if they wanted to. lol Venture capital at it's finest. But when they got together back in the day to roll out a solid game, who can knock the wisdom? ;)

Not saying I could code it or patch code from what little of it I might be able to understand to get my desired result, but I am saying we will never know in this nexus of bogartary! lol

Okay, so I'm still hunting the tools for use on version 1.1 to at least change the flag icons and images to something less Medieval and more ancient. But for those who might want to know, here is what I have done thus far.

Faction Reworking:

FN_ALMOHAD = Poeni/FN_MINOR/MUSLIM
    FN_POLISH = Romans/FN_MAJOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_TURKISH = Huns/FN_MAJOR/PAGAN
    FN_EGYPTIAN = Numidians/FN_MINOR/MUSLIM
    FN_BURGUNDIAN = Greek City States/FN_MINOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_NOVGOROD = Celts/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_RUSSIAN = Belgae/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_HUNGARIAN = Aedui/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_SPANISH = Sequani/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_ITALIAN = Arverni/FN_MAJOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_SWISS = Dacians/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_GERMAN_HRE = Germania/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_DANISH = Goths/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_ARAGONESE = Etruscans/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_SICILIANS = Sabines/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_PAPIST = Maltese/POPE/CATHOLIC

This is a good balance in western Europe and makes the Roman map feel really accurate aside from the date, which I can't seem to make go into a B.C. era without the extreme age crashes. I totally remade the turks into the Huns, the Golden Horde will enter the map as the Xiong Nu, thus, they will feel like just more Huns invading the empire. I didn't give them priests, instead I made assassins a 5 in spreading the Pagan religion. ;) This works out, as churches and mosques make the effects minimal for other factions, and simply making a taven produces your bloodthirsty human sacrificing druid. ;)

The mechanics work out well if the player chooses Rome as its faction, but playing as the Arverni or Huns is a toss up at this point to see if Rome will be the mighty empire you want to fight. The Sabines and Etruscans are just as mighty an Italic people and I like the challenge of having to subdue them first, and the Poeni in Sicily and the Greeks in Naples. The Pope is in Malta set to an income of 85 to stiffle his effects on the map. But he dies off early, and the Romans have to put down a revolt of well armed Maltese rebels (Papal loyalists) just as they are becoming powerful in Italy. All that is fun, fun, fun for a player, but for the AI the Romans might be wiped out. Bummer if your heart is set on being Attila in Germania fighting into Roman Gaul.

And let me tell you, it is a real task!

I tweaked the infantry of the barbarian/Catholic & Islamic groups, I nearly totally removed cavalry in all but a light flanker copassity to make the warfare more infantry based. The honor levels are high for the core units of all the factions so the units fight till they are burger for a long time before fleeing in fear. ;)

For the Xoing Nu warriors and their Slavic-Germanic Hun kinsmen, the battle must be won through tactical savvy and the use of ranged weaponry to soften up much more compotent melee fighters in most of the European tribes. And of course their cavalry will play a major role in any battles on open ground.

I fought through Germania before they had black shield armor, and when I hit the Aedui there was a real stalemate in taking and loosing ground. Most pleasing and unexpected. The Goths in particular are a good rival who matches direct opposites with the Hunic tribe.

All in all, the factions are well done. Huns have no navy, all the Catholic/Barbarian tribes have Longships. Muslims have Dormons, and the Latins and Greeks have Galleys. I tried to help the AI Roman empire by giving it Wargalleys that are produced in only 1 turn. But still they struggle to get established with only three western provinces.

They begin with:

Corsica: Income: 290
    Sardinia: Income 350
    Rome: Income: 500
    Greece: Income: ??? (unchanged)
    Crete: Income: 390

I got tired of the Pope's constant "don't attack blank" so I just made the Roman's Orthodox like the Greeks. It helps Rome takeover the east easier, and is sorta realistic, as the Roman faith borrowed heavily from the Greeks. The effect of making all the western tribes Catholic makes them more stable in relation to one another, so wars are brief but brutal between them, and by having so many barbarians, the player at the helm of Roman legions gets to sample minor differences in unit makeup, while loosing none of the fun aspect of the next mosterous tribe Rome must face. Belgica, Celtica, Narbo, they are alive and well in this era.

While mishmashing a few historical periods and severly missing elephants in North African affairs. I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

As I make changes I will update here from time-to-time.

Cheers! :)
    Last edited by Kront the King; 01-03-2015 at 04:00. Reason: Lots of words means lots of dyslexia

Okay! lol

So I was just as unpleased by the era clashing in that mod as anyone who read this post, and I went authentic! lol

I bumped up the time to 300 A.D.

Then I made drastic revision to the factions! lol

Here are the new updates, but it was super fun fighting a Punic War & Gallic War prequel:

FN_ALMOHAD = Almoravids/FN_MAJOR/MUSLIM (Non-Historical)

FN_BYZANTINE = Eastern Romans/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_POLISH = Western Romans/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_TURKISH = Huns/FN_MAJOR/PAGAN
    FN_EGYPTIAN = Alans/FN_MINOR/PAGAN
    FN_BURGUNDIAN = Franks/FN_MAJOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_NOVGOROD = Picts/FN_MINOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_RUSSIAN = Angals/FN_MINOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_HUNGARIAN = Saxons/FN_MAJOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_SPANISH = Slavs/FN_MINOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_ITALIAN = Geats/FN_MAJOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_SWISS = Danes/FN_MAJOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_GERMAN_HRE = Jutes/FN_MAJOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_DANISH = Goths/FN_MAJOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_ARAGONESE = Vandals/FN_MAJOR/ORTHODOX
    FN_SICILIANS = Britons/FN_MINOR/CATHOLIC
    FN_PAPIST = Papacy/POPE/CATHOLIC

I know, I know, 665 at least before I can really add an Islamic faction, but I hate the dullness of the Sassanid culture. It would mean a lot of junk units wouldn't get used, and so I made the Almoravids a sorta 'Super-Muslim' amalgam of Turk and Moorish units. But there are still no crusades or jihads.

Pagan factions still spread the faith with assassins.

And I added the Byzantines, but they are a pretty solidly 'twin' unit faction with the western empire.

If the player on this mod manages a few local conquests of "Papal" states in Asia they can grow wealthy by 600 and attack the Eastern Romans. I advise patient peace with that faction until then, as they tend to crush the AI Almoravids rather swiftly if you play another faction.

Huns are more challenging early, as they have to supress the Alans first. But it feels like the Attila game setting we are all waiting for now. ;)

Cheers!
    Last edited by Kront the King; 01-23-2015 at 11:51.

ferdi 

Ummm... You are aware that there are unit-GFX much better suited for the supposed period you seem bent on, right? See the stuff (skillfully) created for the HTW-mod, its all there or so I believe. Obviously that stuff can never be officially/publicly included in your project/mod without any proper and explicit permissions by the creator(s) - BUT - for strictly private/personal use at home, I suppose it could be done and it would work just fine with the outlined period. Or so I believe...

Just saying...

- A

Thank's for the reply. ;)

I think HTW is a VI only mod, because I looked for any mods I could download for the pre-expansion game and didn't find but a few that don't require VI. I think it might work for both, because it was started in v1.2 I think, but I'm just working on the retro crap I'm forced to suffer with.

If I had my VI disk still it would be very easy to just make the files and set the colors myself, but the 1.0-1.1 game is very limited and restrictive. I want to make it an original 'me' production, so I don't want to steal any juice from anyone. ;)

But I may try to get the files for a personal run with special changes like you suggest.

I might go buy a Gold Set just to get the VI easy mod file system up and going to my advantage, but I'm thinking I will just buy a new system and play Attila when it comes out. lol
    Last edited by Kront the King; 01-24-2015 at 05:37.