Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So..... I did it......

Default So..... I did it......

Call me a masochist or crazy but I went ahead and pre ordered Attila. I like to jump in on the ground when it comes to games and im sure this one will be as buggy as Rome 2.

Who else is with me? Anyone?
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Default Re: So..... I did it......

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Call me a masochist or crazy but I went ahead and pre ordered Attila. I like to jump in on the ground when it comes to games and im sure this one will be as buggy as Rome 2.

Im probably with you for it...
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I did as well, but really only because I found it for around $33 which I think is a reasonable price. I would not have preordered it if it was not for that. I too really hope this one isnt as buggy upon launch, but I guess we will see in another month and a half.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

I look forward to hearing how it is, I'm holding off this time, but I'm still very much interested in getting it, so I expect to hear lots of details from you guys on launch!

I haven't actually done so yet, but I'm pretty sure I will at some point before 17 Feb.

My (perhaps irrationally optimistic) hope is that Attila won't be too buggy if it's really an evolution of R2 rather than a major new installment of the franchise. At least that's my impression based on what I've read here.

I'm interested in seeing to what degree CA really listened and responded to the customer base...and I want to see what it looks like as it comes out, rather than multiple patches down the road.

And frankly, I'm also just interested in the new gameplay features, or in some cases, return of some old TW features. Can't wait to decimate an army (led by one of the "Other Family" generals, of course....)

Don't do it, guys, you just encourage them to invest more on promotional material, at the expense of actually improving the game.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I wouldn't preorder any PC game if it were the cure for cancer and a harem of playboy bunnies combined. I WILL probably spend my money right after launch though and regret it (Civilisation: Beyond Earth comes to mind)
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Member thankful for this post:

I will not be pre-ordering this.

There are some very nice looking features, most of which would be pretty neat for Rome2 & I'd probably buy it if they retroadded to Rome2 but they won't do that.

But I'm really not all that interested in that Decline of Empire period, I like to be making a new great Empire with cool units & new building not cling to an old decaying one.
    I mean, there are a bunch of new Empires in this timeline but not really exciting ones like in the Rome period where you get to reunify Alexanders Empire & bring Hellenistic civilisation to the world, survive & flourish as Carthage, mature & spread Celtic civilisation, run the expansion of Rome etc.
    Late Rome/early Medieval units are pretty bleh compared to the various epic units of the Rome period.

Also I totally don't trust CA to wait for the game to be ready before releasing it.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Well I got in on the ground for Rome 2. I was pretty disappointed because it didn't live up to the hype they created. BUT unlike Medieval II it actually got a hook in me. I say Med II because it is in the same area whereas Shogun 2 was Japan. ( I absolutely love Shogun 2)

Im hoping they have learned from their mistakes but I severely doubt it..... I guess well find out
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Sometimes these types of games pique my interest in a period (or a particular aspect of one), leading me to read/learn more. As one example, I've been reading about WW2 my entire life, but it wasn't until I played a lot of WoT 2 years ago that I really began to pay more attention to the armored vehicles of that conflict (Beforehand I had nearly always focused more on the naval and air side of things).

R1 (along with the Rome HBO series) got me reading a lot about the late Republic/early Empire period (Caesar, Sulla, Marius, Cicero, etc).

I've read a bit about the late empire, but not as much (partially because there just isn't as much out there). Perhaps Attila will help kindle that interest a bit more. From what little I have read, the causes of the Western Empire collapse in the 5th century are perhaps much more complex...and weren't necessarily quite as inevitable...as the common perception of "decay from within, and overwhelmed by 'barbarian' hordes". I dunno, I'm no expert, maybe some of the new material out there is somewhat overly revisionist.

In any case, I'm interested in Attila coming out, both just as a game and also because I have sufficient interest in the historical period combined with the awareness that I don't know that much about it.

(I do want to make clear; I'm not talking about learning directly from a computer game...just saying that it sometimes stimulates the interest to go look up actual history that I might not otherwise have pursued).

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Don't do it, guys, you just encourage them to invest more on promotional material, at the expense of actually improving the game.
    Lots of people will, so CA has succeeded. XD
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Terribly ashamed to disclose, I'm with you, mate.

This might make you guys feel a little better: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...-preview-sega/

This too!

Oh yeah and apparently the Huns are playable, despite people saying they wouldnt be.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

No mention of the 7 seals, something tells me that CA abandoned her plan about the Apocalypse and with no special events they made the Huns playable.

Also glad to see that the King of Khwarezm is Assyrian while the satrap of Gedrosia comes from Sumeria.

My system doesn't meet the required specs so it's easy for me to say don't encourage the practise of pre ordering. Looking forward to how Attila is when released. When it comes to the time to upgrade I'm sure to get it when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    No mention of the 7 seals, something tells me that CA abandoned her plan about the Apocalypse and with no special events they made the Huns playable.
    To be fair, we just got the first definite proof of the Huns being playable today, and apparently Attila doesnt show up until a bit later so Im just waiting for the official faction preview before I pass judgement.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    Sometimes these types of games pique my interest in a period (or a particular aspect of one), leading me to read/learn more. As one example, I've been reading about WW2 my entire life, but it wasn't until I played a lot of WoT 2 years ago that I really began to pay more attention to the armored vehicles of that conflict (Beforehand I had nearly always focused more on the naval and air side of things).
    I too am an avid reader of ww2 literature and I love to study that war. I also play WoT if you wish to pm me ill be happy to share my in game name

If you like WW2 and want to experience it in a sim environment, Combat Mission is the ticket: http://www.battlefront.com/

Im not a fan of the ability to change settlement names though...

I too am an avid reader of ww2 literature and I love to study that war. I also play WoT if you wish to pm me ill be happy to share my in game name
    Oh, I burned out on WoT nearly 2 years ago. Good game, but the community environment was just toxic.

I do, however, play War Thunder a good bit (and same thing happened with increased knowledge of aircraft, especially USSR).

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I did as well, but really only because I found it for around $33 which I think is a reasonable price. I would not have preordered it if it was not for that. I too really hope this one isnt as buggy upon launch, but I guess we will see in another month and a half.
    Totally not shocked.

I hope it works out better for you.

And I really hope someone (and I bet someone will) ports Rome 2 to Atilla, so we can play Rome 2 with the features it should have had. The Roman era is the best for TW in my opinion.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

I got another VIP GreenMan Gaming email today w/ Attila listed at $34 bucks, still didn't buy it.

Sticking to my guns on this one, $20 bucks and patched is my purchase threshold. And best part is, with time, I will get my way. I need to play a Stones wav file....time is on my side, yes it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIE2GAqnFGw

I haven't yet but I believe I will. The Vikings DLC looks interesting. While Attila looks to be a a souped up Barbarian Invasion, as long as they don't go overboard on detailed micro-management it looks like it will be fun to play through.

I don't see what's a concern about Attila being a "souped up BI". M2 was an update of the original MTW. Same with R2/R1, and S1/S2.

Then you missed the point of all the hoopla making out like this was something new.

Perhaps. I get the feeling that we're talking from different frames of reference, or different expectations. All I was trying to say was that it's not unprecedented for CA to reprise historical periods covered by earlier iterations of the game.

Fair enough, I was really just being amused at the expense of the guy in the video who gave every indication of being unaware a decade earlier a game developed by the company he works for, no doubt before he joined, had an add-on "DLC" before we called them such things that featured a roaming horde not unlike the one he was excited about mentioning.

On that particular point, we 100% agree.

Just took the plunge on the pre-order. I guess that puts me in the camp of the "CA easy-mark enablers", lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast