Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird case at our southern neighbours

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Weird case at our southern neighbours

A convicted pervert is granted euthanesia because prison-life is too hard for him. I don't know the specifics and would love to hear them. Euthanesia should only be possible when there is absolutily no chance someone is terminally ill and if there is absolutily no hope of recovery, but that's just me, gut says that this is an easy way out he does not deserve. I won't go into what he did but it's pretty damn horrible. I would like to hear your thoughts on this as I am kinda torn on multiple levels.
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-03-2015 at 15:12.

Default Re: Weird case at our southern neighbours

It's called euthanasia, from the words "eu" (good/easy) and "thanatos" (death).

A link about the case would be welcome, in order to learn about the details. I googled it, but nothing came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    It's called euthanasia, from the words "eu" (good/easy) and "thanatos" (death).

A link about the case would be welcome, in order to learn about the details. I googled it, but nothing came out.
    Yeah I know that. I am curious about the details myself when it comes to Belgian law. we got Belgiums here so I want to know how this makes sense.
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-03-2015 at 17:41.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

http://www.newsweek.com/belgian-murd...request-270414

I think this is it.

are there any therapies for people with criminal sexual urges? if you're a pedophile and recognize this as a teenager and don't want to hurt anyone, is there something offered anywhere to get help?

Newsweek here is saying that since Belgium didn't offer him any therapy to deal with his problems he'd like to die instead. my gut instinct is to be fine with that but his right to die isn't something I'd go out marching for either. guess I'm ambivalent as long as he's not able to hurt or kill anyone else.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

That seems to be the right story, thanks.

As for whether that is appropriate or a good thing, it depends. If he cannot change and his "condition" drives him to do horrible things or torments him if he doesn't, then I guess his solution is not the worst one. I'm not sure whether he "deserves an easy way out" or not, in case he actually has such a condition, I'd say noone deserves to be like that in the first place.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Say know the have can?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Fine with me. He's not the first "unusual" euthanasia case in Belgium.
    The actual outrage IMO is the fact that he's been in prison for 30 years and no one cared to try a therapy. Plain wrong.
    While pedophilia is de jure a crime, it's a disorder in the first place. Therefore therapy is applicable. Whether that will be successful is a different question.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I read about this.

I suppose the question is does this serve justice?

This man was given a whole life sentence for rape and murder, allowing him to end his life in effect shortens his sentence and reduces his punishment. Treatment in this case is a Victorians concept, it doesn't work, you can't treat these people.

Once someone like this becomes a danger to society you can only lock them up for their natural life.

I have a problem with shortening that natural life from a justice perspective.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

PVC, that basically only works if you see the point of the prison system as an institution for extracting suffering from its inmates.

Such a system is a costly distraction from the perspective of good policy, and is certainly not in accord with Christian "justice" anyway.

Treatment in this case is a Victorians concept, it doesn't work, you can't treat these people.
    Well, I do at least agree that Victorian-era treatments wouldn't be very helpful...
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (2):

So basically they have an untreatable condition and if they should ever make the mistake to give in to that (given that it's supposedly untreatable, that can only be a matter of time), we should punish them as harshly as possible for having that untreatable condition in the first place? While we're at it, why don't we just euthanize them at birth once we have found a way to detect the condition early? Because that would ease the suffering that they deserve for the inevitable crimes they will commit in the future?

Should be miisundersting when the parents kill him theirselve. I ssee no reason why I should be really. I will absolirly kill you if you if you do that to those I love. I see nothing wrong in that.
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-05-2015 at 20:37. Reason: lol at typos, still nean it though

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

What, no female pedophiles?

And then some of them have kids on the island.

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    So basically they have an untreatable condition and if they should ever make the mistake to give in to that (given that it's supposedly untreatable, that can only be a matter of time), we should punish them as harshly as possible for having that untreatable condition in the first place? While we're at it, why don't we just euthanize them at birth once we have found a way to detect the condition early? Because that would ease the suffering that they deserve for the inevitable crimes they will commit in the future?
    Why would we euthanize them post birth? If we could find out a person is a psychopath or a paedophile through methods that doent require verbal communication we could probably find out at the "still able to abort without all but the diehardest fundies complaining" stage.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Why would we euthanize them post birth? If we could find out a person is a psychopath or a paedophile through methods that doent require verbal communication we could probably find out at the "still able to abort without all but the diehardest fundies complaining" stage.
    I meant at or before, don't worry, I also support pre-crime.

Blog Entries

Eh, crime's a choice, this is genetics. I'd rather they found a way to change it same as all other birth defects, but I'm pro choice and this would be one of the most legitimate reasons to abort.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Eh, crime's a choice, this is genetics. I'd rather they found a way to change it same as all other birth defects, but I'm pro choice and this would be one of the most legitimate reasons to abort.
    Id be careful of jumping on the Genetics train too quickly - while it is possible it is also entirely likely Pedophillia is totally unrelated to genetics (a fact supported by a lack of evidence that it is Hereditary).

But having sex with a child is a crime and a direct result of being a paedophile.
    And since you can't treat them as PVC said, they will all inevitably become criminals anyway, no?

But having sex with a child is a crime and a direct result of being a paedophile.
    And since you can't treat them as PVC said, they will all inevitably become criminals anyway, no?
    I like black women, just fancy them. Doesn't mean I drag them into an alley. I am no psychiatrist but pedosexuals at least seem to think they can just grab what they want just because they want it. They perfectly understand they are inflicting harm, but do it anyway. It's not a sexual preference but narcism to give into what pleases you despite that you know that ypu are only hurting others.
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-06-2015 at 13:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I like black women, just fancy them. Doesn't mean I drag them into an alley. I am no psychiatrist but pedosexuals at least seem to think they can just grab what they want just because they want it. They perfectly understand they are inflicting harm, but do it anyway. It's not a sexual preference but narcism to give into what pleases you despite that you know that ypu are only hurting others.
    But if that narcissism is part of their condition and most seem to fall for it sooner or later, then they all deserve to rot in prison for as long as possible. If we wait until a pedo is 57 before we find out about what he has done, he may have harmed a lot of people. Better to put suspects into cages from birth or primary school on to:
    a) increase their period of suffering
    b) save all the potential victims

Id disagree.

There are vast numbers of Pedophiles who never progress beyond the desire stage (looking at images etc) and more still who suppress their urges entirely.

What makes some Pedophiles progress to the actual abuse of children is probably not dissimilar to the progression of a Rapist - and narcissism is a common trait assigned to Rapists which would suggest that the willingness to act on their urges is separate from their sexual desires.
    Last edited by Sir Moody; 01-06-2015 at 18:22.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody View Post
    Id be careful of jumping on the Genetics train too quickly - while it is possible it is also entirely likely Pedophillia is totally unrelated to genetics (a fact supported by a lack of evidence that it is Hereditary).
    We were talking what-if's, and the hypothetical situation is that at least one form of paedophillia is a result of genetics and can be detected without behavior analysis.
    Inevitable? I dont know enough to say, but the act is all but impossible without the actor having some form of paedophillia is it not? I'd like to think it's not inevitable but I'd also think that anyone suffering from it are fundementally doomed to misery in one form or another* because of circumstance outside thier control. If they prefer death than to continue I find it hard not to sympathise and I feel if there was such an easy way to prevent future sufferers like abortion or genetic alteration it would be a mercy.

As for psychopathy, it's not as easy for me. A psychopath is by definition incapable of the sort of guilt, shame and self loathing that a paedophile will likely feel and unless they act out they wont gain the ire and/or retribution of society. It is theoretically possible they can live thier lives without suffering themselves or causing it in others, thus I feel less inclined to believe that any incarcerated psycopath is the victim of circumstance outside thier control wishing for death to escape a hopless situation.

Indeed the nature of the condition makes me inclined to believe the opposite: that wishing for death once behind the bars of a prison is a ploy to escape responsibility and full retribution for actions for which they are entirely at fault.

Of course a paedophile in the same situation is most likely doing the same thing and I am predisposed to believe that a paedophile acting on his impulses is ultimately due to his or her choice to do so. Regardless of how powerful those "natural"** urges are; we all have to deal with urges and the inability to deny urges they know would cause suffering in others is entirely a failing on the perpritrator's part regardless of how socially acceptable those urges are. Thus I honestly I cannot agree that prisoners should be allowed to self terminate in either category.

If they wish to kill themselves before they do act, I can sympathise with the paedophile but if it's after they have molested/raped a child they deserve to reap what they sow.

*either in the vien of the shame and self loathing gays suffered from pre de-stigmatization (and some still do) or from the retribution society will dole out for acting on the impulses.

**By god do I hate how that term is used these days, Nature is fully capable of being frakking evil and goddamn disgusting, why the hell should we glorify or condemn anything just on the factor of whether it happened before humans came along? You want to talk about the risk of side effects in GM food or the negative digestive attributes of gluten, go right ahead but if all you have to say is "it's not natural" you can go right to your all natural hell.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 01-07-2015 at 06:46.

Eh, psychopaths are incapable of sympathizing with others, they have pretty much no innate sense for morals.
    If their condition is found, they learn how to behave and can adapt to that, but if someone they do not have a very personal, selfish interest in were to drown, they would feel no desire to help, at all.
    They have no desire to murder but would probably see nothing wrong with it if it furthers their own interests. And wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it. However, all of this is also not their fault, they've just been wired differently and who are we to claim that our wiring is the better one?
    It's also not like "normal" people cannot turn off their moral compass and murder someone for very selfish reasons.
    Last edited by Husar; 01-07-2015 at 12:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody View Post
    Id disagree.

There are vast numbers of Pedophiles who never progress beyond the desire stage (looking at images etc) and more still who suppress their urges entirely.

What makes some Pedophiles progress to the actual abuse of children is probably not dissimilar to the progression of a Rapist - and narcissism is a common trait assigned to Rapists which would suggest that the willingness to act on their urges is separate from their sexual desires.
    That is why I say pedosexuals, and not pedophiles. I can respect a pedophile as it must be really hard to be one without giving into it, they can't help it that they are pedophiles probably. Giving into it is a different matter though.

Good book, 'The end of Alice', kinda twisted. Forgot who wrote it but it's good.

Good book, 'The end of Alice', kinda twisted. Forgot who wrote it but it's good.
    Those were the memoirs of Alice Cooper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

We are having 2 discussions it seems... I'll answer both.

1. I don't think criminals should get a "get out of jail card" in themselves asking to die... If someone gets locked in for life, I think we as society should do our best to have this person still contribute to society...

There is job to be done, let them help. Supervised, of course.

IE, I heard that US prisoners have been used to fight forest fires... And from what I can tell, they did a good job AND took pride in their work.

To lock people up 24/7 is just stupid, have them repay their debt to society instead... Again, of course supervised.

2. Many phedophiles control their sexual lust, and are no threat to society. To then screen this would be unfair to the individual, and also of course a VERY slippery slope of what the state should be allowed to interfere with.

Is it really a problem if someone wanks thinking of young kids? Or if someone imagine his wife is 14 when they have sex?

It's only when they ACT on their sexual desire it becomes a problem. Am I in the wrong here?

Not wrong to me, hence the difference between pedosexuals and pedophiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post

To lock people up 24/7 is just stupid, have them repay their debt to society instead...
    That could be justified in case they are in debt to SOCIETY. Most life sentences are given for "debts to PERSONS" (i.e. murders). How can they repay that debt?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    That could be justified in case they are in debt to SOCIETY. Most life sentences are given for "debts to PERSONS" (i.e. murders). How can they repay that debt?
    Make them do something useful?
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    Make them do something useful?
    For who? For the victim's family and friends? I guess the most useful thing they will come up with would be committing a suicide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast