Thread: Export_descr_buildings

Default Export_descr_buildings

I made changes in export_descr_buildings and after that appears in system.log:

20:53:27.562 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/EBII/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1, column 1
    Expected 'building', found ''

Doesn't seem to be anything at the top of the file that might suggest this

Thanks

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Export_descr_buildings

Hello MasterHunter, welcome to the .Org and to EB .

This seems to be more of a general modding question than an EB one, but if I interpret the error message correctly it is caused by the EB script, so I'm moving it to the EB tech help forum.

Just to be sure: what program did you use to edit the EDB file? IIRC programs like Notepad sometimes add line-breaks (when "word wrap" is enabled). The error message suggests that "building" is missing, so I'm guessing it's a formatting issue.

Thread moved
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Export_descr_buildings

Thanks

Yes first I used the normal Notepad, but after googling about that I saw that it could lead to errors, so I installed Notepad ++. Even with the latter, the error persists.

Blog Entries

Just checking: did you open the edited EDB file in Notepad ++ and resaved it, or did you open the original, unmodified EDB in Notepad ++, edited it and saved it? If the former, then the line-breaks (or whatever causes this) would still be present.

If the latter, could you show us the top 10 lines or so of your edited EDB file?

Post Re: Export_descr_buildings

I opened the original, unmodified EDB in Notepad ++.

Code:
    ;This file is entirely composed by hand - errors and bugs are to be expected.

hidden_resources no_pirates no_brigands horde_target variantca variantba hr_river hr_a hr_b hr_c hr_d hr_e hr_f hr_g hr_h hr_i hr_j anatolian arabian baktria baltic briton caucasus celtiberia celtic dacia eastern egypt ethiopia germania greek1 greek2 hellen1 hellen2 iberia illyria indo italy liburnes libya lusitan numidia punic saba_core saka sarmatian thrakia mixed hyparchia satrapy krete logades daha

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;; EBII CORE BUILDINGS ;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    building core_building
    {
        levels wooden_pallisade wooden_wall stone_wall large_stone_wall huge_stone_wall
    Last edited by MasterHunter; 01-08-2015 at 20:27.

I restored the EDB file to a previous version and now works, no error

Blog Entries

I am glad to hear it, as I still don't understand what caused this.

Well, problem solved, in any case. Have fun playing EB!
    Last edited by Ludens; 01-09-2015 at 16:12.

Thanks mate

I just want to warn one thing different from Medieval II vanilla, that, after changes on EDB you are unable to play any previous save game, so make sure to make a backup.

I have a similar problem, which I hope some of you could help me with.
    I have already installed Notepad ++
    But each time I open and afterwards save this file, I have an unexpected error, even if I don't make any changes. (I checked)

And I get the same error report in the systemlog:
    22:56:33.806 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/EBII/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1, column 1
    Expected 'building', found ''

Is there anybody who had the same problems and found a solution?

Blog Entries

This is a wild guess, but it could still be a problem of the encoding. I know that text files saved in vanilla Notepad will sometimes confuse UNIX/LINUX applications because they are expecting different line-break codes. Notepad++ tries to automatically detect encoding, but sometimes gets it wrong. You could try saving the file in ANSI and UTF-8 encodings (see the format or encoding menu of Notepad++) to see if either one works. (And please let us know the results.)

I know that this thread is old, but since I had the same problem I thought I'd post that this did indeed fix it for me (switching from UTF-8 to ANSI), so hopefullly this will help anyone else with the problem

Member thankful for this post:

Ludens 

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Export_descr_buildings

Quote Originally Posted by waveman View Post
    I know that this thread is old, but since I had the same problem I thought I'd post that this did indeed fix it for me (switching from UTF-8 to ANSI), so hopefullly this will help anyone else with the problem
    Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update, and welcome to the .Org .