Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why any sane person would buy Attila?

Default Tell me why any sane person would buy Attila?

Bearing in mind the catastrophe that was Rome 2, the fake gameplay footage, the infamous "way way way pre-alpha" lies, the general dishonesty, etcetera. Pretty much everything about CA's release of Rome 2 and the way they acted afterwards tells me they have become a dishonest, lying game developer and not to be trusted.

So why would anybody pre-order or buy Attila? And don't tell me because it looks good. CA proved with Rome 2 that faking gameplay footage and graphics for trailers is absolutely something they're willing to do to sell copies.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Default Re: Tell me why any sane person would buy Attila?

Don't be a hater! It will be "way way better" than Rome II.

Member thankful for this post:

Don't misinterpret my original post by the way - I'm tempted to buy it myself. There's a lack of strategy games covering this period and it is one of my absolute favourite periods of history. You've got the Byzantine Empire facing off (and almost dying shortly after the western half) at the hands of brutal migrating tribes, Sassanid invasions and so forth. You've got the collapse of the western Roman Empire (I can't even describe how much I would love to play as them and stabilize the empire and bring it back to glory). It has the Anglo Saxons. It has all the good stuff.

If this were any other developer (aside from the other notoriously sly developers) I would pre-order this game so ******* hard it'd break my computer screen. I'd pre-order it on STEAM and Amazon to make sure I got it on release day one way or the other. But as I said in the main post, after the lies and deceit with Rome 2, I can't do it.

Because:
    • Fire?!
    • This time they didn't hire an actor to say 'its the greatest AI rework evar!!'
    • Attilla is badass!!!
    • Fire!!!
    • Dark & apocalyptic!
    • Fire!
    • Fire!!?
    • Stuff that should have been in Rome2
    • Might have fixed some stuff (probably not)
    • Fire!!
    • Did I miss anything?
    • Oh yeah, Fire!
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Quote Originally Posted by hoom View Post
    Because:
    • Fire?!
    • This time they didn't hire an actor to say 'its the greatest AI rework evar!!'
    • Attilla is badass!!!
    • Fire!!!
    • Dark & apocalyptic!
    • Fire!
    • Fire!!?
    • Stuff that should have been in Rome2
    • Might have fixed some stuff (probably not)
    • Fire!!
    • Did I miss anything?
    • Oh yeah, Fire!
    You've swayed me. I'm buying it 8 times right now.

I have income to buy games like this and can move on if it's a loss? (I didn't preorder but I could)

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Basically what AntiDamascus said. I bought it on sale, my income is decent, my expenses are low, and I love the TW games. Attila looks great, and I wont miss out on the $33 if Attila fails, which I honestly do not think it will do, not after their PR disaster that Rome 2 was. It might fail, but if it does CA knows it will permanently lose the credibility it got back by doing what I think was a great job of patching Rome 2.

Also I kinda have a northern Germanic thing so the pre-order bonus was really attractive to me.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 01-11-2015 at 07:14.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I enjoy playing almost all of the TW games. I still play Empire, working around the unfixed problems it has, because I like the scope of play. Same for Rome II.

Attila looks to be a dressed up Barbarian Invasion, which I could not get into, but the game looks like it may provide a decent challenge. If they don't get to deep in micro-management (my one fear) I'll probably spend quite a bit of time on it.

@OP, While I do believe that R2 release and aftermath were a big fail for CA, I don't go quite as far as perceiving it to be dishonest. It's true that they didn't deliver what they had promised. Regrettable, but not necessarily the same as deliberately not having delivered what they promised (although I have no doubt there were some in the company who must've seen what was coming in the last few weeks prior to release date, and just couldn't stop the train). I'm willing to chalk it up to mismanagement, competing priorities within CA, different visions/goals/priorities between CA and Sega, etc etc.

Bottom line...I'm willing to give them another chance, and take it on good faith that they've recognized and learned from their mistakes. Several of the recent youtube reviews are based on a demo version, and put together by independent gamers (Wrath of Sparta, etc). What I see there shows that CA indeed has incorporated much of the feedback of the last year. Alongside new features, they're also bringing back much things we liked about older TW editions (family tree, etc).

In any case, I'm cautiously optimistic about Attila, especially since most of what I've learned about the game has come from non-CA/Sega sources.

@hoom, oh...and don't forget about fire!

I have no doubt there were some in the company who must've seen what was coming in the last few weeks prior to release date, and just couldn't stop the train).
    Given it took a year of patching to get up to release quality, people within not just CA but Sega should have been well aware they were nowhere near launch ready from months before release.

Honestly if they brought out a Rome2 DLC with a bunch of the Attilla improvements to GUI & gameplay stuff (but not the fire), I'd probably buy it.

Good reason? TW games are pretty unique.

It's also a pretty good reason for anyone who sells them to do whatever they want.

Throwing stones from afar Member Cazbol's Avatar

I'm sane. Why have I bought Attila?

Because I've played every single Total War game and every expansion and found every single one to be an absolutely fantastic experience. To me, Rome II is brilliant, which is evidenced by the fact that my play time on it is up to 715 hours and I'm still far from having had enough.

Even though I've pre-ordered Attila, I probably won't play it at launch, as I'll first complete my current epic Emperor's Edition campaign and then move on to the Wrath of Sparta. By the time I get to Attila, the most significant release bugs will probably have been sorted out and my enjoyment of it will be as fantastic as with all the previous ones.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Rome 2 is fine now, it was terrible on release, and I enjoyed the earlier Totalwar games.

I vote with the wallet; I could have all the money in the world and I wouldn't buy something if I don't believe in it.

So attila will wait unless if I happen to enjoy watching it and see some mods that suit my tastes ready. Then that will be the time to make such decision.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

its sane to buy this game......but not on the first month, would be sane pay to be alpha tester and do the job of CA in testing and big hunting....

Quote Originally Posted by hoom View Post
    Given it took a year of patching to get up to release quality, people within not just CA but Sega should have been well aware they were nowhere near launch ready from months before release.
    Matter of opinion that. By the third or fourth patch it was release quality. Everything after was tweeking.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Matter of opinion that. By the third or fourth patch it was release quality. Everything after was tweeking.
    Matter of opinion that. I wouldn't call the game release quality at 16 patches. In fact I wouldn't say the GC is capable of being patched into an enjoyable game and is a boring abomination.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Am I the only one who enjoyed the GC? Everywhere I go everyone is hating on the GC, but I actually liked the two campaigns I played with it...
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Im still plugging away at the GC and im over 600 hrs in game time
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

I still play it. But really the GC is a full marathon. So it's easier to lose interest before you finish. While Imperator is a half marathon, and the CiG/HatG/WoS are sprints.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Matter of opinion that. I wouldn't call the game release quality at 16 patches. In fact I wouldn't say the GC is capable of being patched into an enjoyable game and is a boring abomination.
    Not really, as you can look at patch logs for what was actually done. The only thing most devs focused on before releasing was big technical issues (now with steam and the ubiquity of high speed internets they don't have to do that as much). Balancing comes later with community input. And R2TW's patches were technical stuff in the early ones, balancing almost exclusively later on.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

By the third or fourth patch it was release quality.
    Utter rubbish.

The really big fixes only came in the last few patches and its only with Emperor edition that they have fixed some very fundamental things like having the Politics & combat actually work properly.

Emperor edition is how it should have been at launch.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the GC? Everywhere I go everyone is hating on the GC, but I actually liked the two campaigns I played with it...
    The big problem with the GC is that everyone dies too quickly.

In the sub-campaigns you get to build up really elite Generals & Agents.

While that does make them pretty OP, it also means you get involved with their development & you actually care when one dies in a fight/of old age.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

disclaimer, its highly likely that I'm not sane

but to answer the question, I'm not playing anything right now that really grabs me, I have some free time this winter, and I'm a sucker for TW

I know we'll probably never find those old glory days of Wolves and Hunters and Bears but who knows, maybe something interesting awaits

I am a little wary/skeptical, more than one TW game hasn't launched well

the real reason may be that ATW gives me a valid reason to drop in to the Org and see if any old friends still wander the halls
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Well welcome back, good to see something pulled you back in, hopefully it turns out to be a fun addition to the TW pantheon. We shall soon see.

It is far more stable than Rome 2 was on release. I've had no crash so far. Rome 2 was different on that score....

Quote Originally Posted by ichi View Post
    the real reason may be that ATW gives me a valid reason to drop in to the Org and see if any old friends still wander the halls
    Wandering and watching, sure. Contributing, not so much.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

ichi 

Despite what I said in the original post in this thread, I bought it. (I never said I was sane, did I?) Couldn't resist seeing if it was as horrendously bad as Rome 2.

I'm happy to report that I am pleasantly surprised and happy with my purchase. Trying to hold the Western Roman Empire together is fun as hell. Family tree is great, politics aren't redundant like in Rome 2, love the added depth like being able to appoint governors, retainers, all that stuff.

Music still sucks ass though, no life in it whatsoever, needs Jeff Van Dyck back.

Also I've noticed CA are deleting any criticism on the .com forums. I've been watching the forums a lot over the last 2 days and I've seen numerous threads disappear without trace because they mentioned criticism of things like the AI desolating too many area, etc.

It's funny you used the AI desolation example because that was specifically a thread I was interested in hearing a response from CA about. So did they delete it or for some reason move it somewhere else to hide it? This tactic of deleting stuff is so amateur hour and makes them look really rather sad.

I mean if the AI really is tac nuking the countryside fighting other AI you could conceivably make this almost a no win game.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    It's funny you used the AI desolation example because that was specifically a thread I was interested in hearing a response from CA about. So did they delete it or for some reason move it somewhere else to hide it? This tactic of deleting stuff is so amateur hour and makes them look really rather sad.

I mean if the AI really is tac nuking the countryside fighting other AI you could conceivably make this almost a no win game.
    In my experience (7 hours of playing lol) the AI seems to nuke a province about 50% of the time. Maybe a little less, maybe 40%. The Irish faction (I don't know their names yet so I'll be referring to them as their modern-day geographical location) attacked my county in Wales and nuked it, then the Scottish faction attacked my northern-most province in England and nuked that as well. Southern England has been raided to hell - Camulodunum has been looted 3 times, but they never nuked it. They nuked Frisia and one of my very far eastern provinces (Pannonia?) but that's it. The other times they managed to overwhelm my garrison they only looted the province rather than nuke it.

This game is stable where Rome 2 was not stable on release. The design is of a higher standard than Rome 2. Perhaps it is what Rome 2 should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
    This game is stable where Rome 2 was not stable on release. The design is of a higher standard than Rome 2. Perhaps it is what Rome 2 should have been.
    If I'd had this much fun with Rome 2 on release day then I'd have considered Rome 2 a success. I still wouldn't consider it as good as Rome 1, Medieval 2 or Shogun 2 because it wasn't - neither is Attila, but still it would've been a good game.

As it is, I was utterly shocked not just by how broken the game was but, even if it had been polished and stable, it was still boring and soulless. I'm stupefied by how you can take a game set in one of the most fascinating periods of history such as the rise of Rome, with so many fascinating civilizations such as Rome, Carthage, Athens, Macedonia, Gaul, Pergamon, Seleukids, Ptolemies, Parthians and so forth, and screw it up SO ******* BAD! It should've been so easy lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast