Thread: Important request to CA - Mistakes of Sassanian units

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

Exclamation Important request to CA - Mistakes of Sassanian units

I have a big request. Can you change the Sassanid Empire' units to more historical?
    I know that there is one month to release and probably the game is in box. It is not problem, because moste of new helmets, linothoraxes, armors etc. of RTW2 were added after game release with some patches.
    You have the time for making it. Some changes - the 1st of my point for example is only few minutes to make. I know because it is work of Assembly kit (simple text editing - added beards for units models).
    Please, don't ignore this message. There are a lot of fans who want these changes.

1. Sassanian kings don't have beards...
    In real history ALL SASSANIAN KINGS have BEARDS and CURLY HAIR. There are thousends sources: coins, sculptures and other art. There aren't any kings without beards and mustaches but you made Bahram IV and some other kings without mustaches and beards. It is huge and very important mistake. Please, look at historical sources:

Bahram IV:

some of other Sassanian kings:

There are more examples of Sassanian kings with mustaches, beards and curly hair in my thread in other points.
    There weren't any Sassanian kings without mustaches/beards with short hair, but I don't know you made it! It is completely unhistorical.
    Only some (around 10% I think - look at my proof) of Sassanian kings/generals have beards/mustaches and curly hair.
    I have a proof of screens from Attila:

There is a pic (from Attila gameplay) whre are Bahram IV without beard/mustaches, of course... and there is a one general with the 20th/21th cent. style of hair...(the second one from down)

Please CA, please... Look at coins and art - ALL SASSANIAN KINGS had BEARDS/MUSTACHES and CURLY HAIR! It was their sign! Don't ignore me, a lot of fans and Sassanian culture.

2. You made only ONE of Sassanian kings crowns... Sassanian crowns were very various but you made only one crown for Sassanian kings and kings of other eastern factions. It is huge mistake. I show a crown what you used in my previous point. Why you didn't make more variety? For example - there are around 40 of Hellenistic helmets in RTW2 but only one of Sassanian kin's crown in Attile.
    There are examples of crown. It will be a good inspiration for you (and look that ALL of them have BEARDS and CURLY HAIR!):

Please, make some more of Sassanian crowns. It will be more variety and remember - Sassanian and other eastern factions look very poor looking actually.

3. Sassanian units look like Arab units from the 7th century (400 years later!).
    They have turbans on head and their helmets. It is HUGE mistake. There are hundreds of Sassanian sources but never there were turbans. It could be good for Rise of Islam DLC, but not for Sassanid Empire.

P.S. Sogdian warriors based on Osprey reconstruction. I can't post that image (copyright). Remember - that picture shows warrior from few hundreds later.

There are ALL Sassanian generals with turbans. They look like Arab armies from 4 hundreds later. There aren't any sources with Sassanian with turbans!
    Please, change it. I believe...

4. Sassanians in the game have cheekplates. There are no sources of Sassanian helmets with cheekplates. Please delete them. You can use chainmail as "armor of cheeks".
    There is wrong screen (and some of them have big Roman cheekplates from completely other helmet):

Ca, please change it. There are important mistakes of Sassanian looking. There is a time. You can add these changes with update in day of release Attila.

Regards,
    KLA

Member thankful for this post:

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Important request to CA - Mistakes of Sassanian units

Nice post, though I would be surprised if anyone from CA reads this, and even more surprised if they actually implemented these changes.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

In what concerns Bahram, he looks so awkward, not even remotely resembling a Sassanid Shah, that I suspect CA was inspired by a picture of a 18th century Persian prince.

I have a hope that they will change some of them... I don't like Sassanians in later Arabic style and clean shaved Bahram IV looks like Julius Ceasar or Napoleon with beard.

On twcenter I have discussed this with a few people in rtw modding forum and on the cosmetic side of attila what doesn't help is how the Saxons are from several centuries ahead of their time frame and the Romans wearing Hamata from republican era instead of the more simpler looking mail shirts that are also longer.
    Lets play Divide et Impera, Ptolemy Campaign. Link to full playlist down below!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...2oIDsmGrPrKpzM

From yesterday I am making similar thread to this one about mistakes of Roman and barbarian factions.