Thread: Leftovers

I can combine units of say 25 ys with another unit of 34 ys to get one 59 ys. But after a battle I get many units that can't be combined it seems such as 34 ys with 32 ys. I wish I could join these two units to get one full 60 ys and another of 6 ys.
    What do ppl do with these leftover units? Keep them in freshly conquered provinces to prevent uprisings?

these leftover units can be quite valuable even if depleted to just a single warrior. for purposes of population happiness they are considered with the same weight as a full strenght unit. therefore if I have just won a province and two unit can be cobbled together I'll leave them as seperate garrisons and let the entack units move on to the next target.

I will also fight with units in the 20-30 range since they can become effective flankers while my full strenght units handle the frontal assaults.

I usually use them as garrisons or sometimes if they are a match with my high rank general unit, i reserve them to replenish it. It's true, they are also good for flanking if you have no other units to replace them (and note that they are usually high honour and may even be more valuable compared to a full strength unit if the disparity is not too huge)
    --RADAN--
    (The SAMURAI HERO Ashigaru)
    A member of CLAN..what no CLAN??

Play 120 sized then the 34 and 32 will go togheter

------------------
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

This is a very common mistake leaving units of 32 and 34 behind
    Units that are depleted have almost certainly gained honor in
    By leaving them behind you lose their valuble experience by filling their places with fresh troops
    always take such units into battle again and again and eventually you will begin to see units with honor of 5,6 and 7 and possibly even greater

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

been a while since i ran a campaign, but i seem to recall that you can break a unit up into smaller units. just take your 32 or 34 and bust one of them up to combine with the other unit to make a 60 and a 6.

K.

------------------
    I'm sorry, but i never apologize.

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Voodoo....

Your belief that a depleted unit has the same effect towards pacification as a whole unit is incorrect. A little testing with saved games, changing the size of the garrison will show that varying numbers in the garrison invokes incremental changes in loyalty of the populace (in a newly conquered province). Once the loyalty is established only enemy action, natural disaster, or changes in tax have effect on loyalty. Prior to pacification the number of troops and tax rate are significant factors.

------------------
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Shaihulud, one small correction. Troops always have an effect on loyalty. That's why you see provinces that you've held for years go up to 200 and 300 percent loyalty when they have huge armies in them.
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

Hi Kraellin!!
    How do you break the units to smaller size???

------------------

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Alastair... point conceded..hehe

------------------

In fact, merging 10 YS of, say, honour 6 with 50 of, say, honour 0 will not make them lose honour as the computer calculates combat on a personal level. For example, a unit only loses honour because it has lost a high honour warrior, which brings the average down.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Kai,you can combine partial units to 119 men,even if you are playing a campaign with 60 man units.Here's how:
    1.After the battle,click escape and go to the menu.
    2.Click on performance
    3.At the bottom is a slider to adjust men per unit.Slide it to 120.
    4.Resume your game at the battle map and combine that 32 YS and 34 YS into one unit of 66 YS.THIS IS THE BEAUTIFUL PART:Lets say the 32 YS unit has no armor but the 34 YS unit does.By dropping the 32 YS unit,without armor, on to the 34 YS unit,with armor,you will then have a single unit of 66 YS WITH ARMOR!If you do it in reverse order,dropping the armored unit on the unarmored one YOU WILL LOSE THE ARMOR.This works with the sword upgrades also.So now you can take the units that you trained early in the campaign that have no armor or weapon upgrades and combine them with units that do.
    4.After combining your depleted units,click escape to get the menu.Click performance and change the slider back to 60 man units.Resume your game.NOTE on't forget this last part or you will probably run short of koku for troops because you will be training 120 man units,at twice the cost.I always save the game before combining depleted units because sometimes when trying to upgrade the units of heirs or high ranking generals they inexplicably disappear.
    I just lost Takeda Shingen OH NOOOOOOOOO!
    Hope this helps.Happy campaigning.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*