Thread: Reinstalled!

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Default Reinstalled!

I booted this game up again after not being entirely thrilled with Rome II. What fun it was and still is. Shimazu is rolling and I am having a blast. It is refreshing to once again having the general unit so necessary to keep those ashigaru from routing as they take on those samurai archers and then cut them down as they flee. I just wanted to share this with whomever still visits this relic of a fora.

A question, has anyone ever gone the entire campaign without the legendary swordsman event? I have taken Shimazu island and then some and no event yet. Though I think my battle count is only 2 or 3 battles.

The game just looks so beautiful on my pc. I am glad it runs on Windows 7.

Buddhas compassion go with you.
    Silence is beautiful

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Reinstalled!

Careful who you're calling a relic...

Legendary Swordsman event requires a heroic victory to trigger. Just fight a bridge battle at heavy odds. Barring that, Nagato has a hill that can be defended at big odds

I still play, although not as much as I used to. Sometimes it's fun to fire up a campaign just for the music...VanDyck was the best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dVc...QDBecA&index=1
    High Plains Drifter

I didn't realize it require a heroic victory. Hmmm. I am playing my first campaign on easy to get a feel for it again. Next I will attempt Mori or Uesugi on normal. I certainly am not the field general I once was, but the game is still fun.

The music and quotes were, and still are brilliant. Nice link too by the way.
    Silence is beautiful

Technically, it's not the heroic victory per se, but the number of individual kills by one of your samurai (and I've never seen a number put to how many). I said heroic victory because in my experience, you get one of your samurai to that level of kills in the course of winning at big odds. One of the under appreciated features of the original Shogun were the battle logs. These logs kept track of individual kills and honor (yes...each individual samurai in every one of your armies) and the number of friendly-fire casualties for any given battle. The friendly-fire list was extremely useful for determining how well you were managing your archers and/or teppo. Shooting too many of your own men in the back won't win you those crucial battles where you are heavily outnumbered

If you're trying to ease back into it, Uesugi is a pretty solid choice. Good starting points, easy to get your economy up and running, and access to some of the richest provinces in the game. Mori is a much tougher road, mainly because it's harder to get your economy going with all those pi$$-poor provinces south of Edo, but...Warrior Monks are arguably one of the best foot-soldiers in the game and Mori can train them at a reduced cost. If you can get to Ise quickly enough, with it's +1 bonus for WM's, you've nearly punched your ticket to the Shogunate

In any case, getting the Legendary Swordsman event is really only important for Shimazu as No-Dachi are his specialty, and Satsuma produces them with a +1 bonus to honor.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 03-19-2015 at 09:47.
    High Plains Drifter

Thanks for the information. How do you access those log files? I failed to know they even existed! I probably won't get much opportunity for the legendary swordsman event in my campaign as of yet, Takeda looks particularly weak in moris former holdings. I should just roll over them. Ashigaru island will be a little more difficult however.

I think I will give Uesugi a go next at normal difficulty. Always my favorite clan, though hojo can be somewhat difficult in the beginning.

I do realize no dachi aren't the greatest unit in the game, but ever since I started playing the game in 2001, those red shirted samurai were my favorite.

I really wish CA would do a 2d DLC for shogun II. That would be a delight. If possible.
    Silence is beautiful

I thought one of your samurai had to reach valor 3, not counting general bonuses. That (I think) requires 6 kills starting from valor 0, but they don't all have to be from the same battle. At least that's what I thought. Sometimes it seems to happen a lot quicker than other times, I know that.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

How do you access those log files?
    There's a folder in the main directory called...Log Files, oddly enough It can be viewed with NotePad or Word. IIRC, you have to enable the generation of those log files in setup or by editing Preferences. It's a good idea to clean the folder occasionally, as log files tend to be quite large.

I thought one of your samurai had to reach valor 3, not counting general bonuses. That (I think) requires 6 kills starting from valor 0
    Could be, but IIRC, valor rankings go 2>4>8>16 etc...you double the previous number.

At least that's what I thought. Sometimes it seems to happen a lot quicker than other times, I know that
    There have been times in the Oda 1580 campaign where I get it after the very first battle in Mino, and other times I might play a number of years before it happens
    High Plains Drifter

Thanks for the info. I plan to check that folder after my next play thru. It would be interesting to see. And I am familiar with the set up option and I think I left it enabled. If not, I guess I will try my Uesugi campaign a little early.
    Silence is beautiful