Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethical dillema concerning the planecrash.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Ethical dillema concerning the planecrash.

Psychiatrists aren't allowed to share information with third parties. How far should that go, the pilot was considered unfit to fly, but his employers didn't know that. So it could have been prevented. Where to draw the line? There will probably a commision asking the same question but I am interested in your gut-feelings.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Ethical dillema concerning the planecrash.

Surely this dilemma could be avoided by requiring 2 people to be in the cockpit at all times?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Not necesarily in planes, there are all sorts of professions that have huge responsibities

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Psychiatrists aren't allowed to share information with third parties. How far should that go, the pilot was considered unfit to fly, but his employers didn't know that. So it could have been prevented. Where to draw the line? There will probably a commision asking the same question but I am interested in your gut-feelings.
    If those third parties are likely to be hurt, I think it is the shrink's duty to forestall it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

You could put a burden of proof on the pilot, requiring him to hand over a doctor's statement that he's sane every year.

I suspect something like this was in place, but that this tragedy slipped through the cracks so to speak.

Member thankful for this post:

I'm completely ignorant on the whole thing, but if the psychiatrist thought the man was unfit then he should've alerted the authorities, I believe they are allowed to do that if they suspect potential harm (at least from my experience).

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here are the guidelines in the United Kingdom when it comes to the DVLA: http://www.gmc-uk.org/Confidentialit...f_58821800.pdf

I assume it would be similar when it comes to pilots. Though it is likely that an air company has an occupational health department which does this and would send a report to the line manager if they are unfit.

But to answer some comments in thread:
    "The driver is legally responsible for informing the DVLA or DVA about such a condition or treatment."

It is pilots responsibility to inform, primarily.
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-29-2015 at 02:44.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Those are the rules but a planecrash is the reality, I am still not convinced that this wasn't just an accident, it looks like it wasn't, guy was depressed, was a convert, but the flew of six hours later than it should have because of untill now unknown reasons. That's the technical part but I would like to see a broader discussion, when should a shrink break the oath of not informing third parties when there crearly is a risk. I don't know, just taking this planecrash doesn't does the question justice, he could also have worked in a train or a bus.

How far should this docter-patient relationship go before it could could go really really wrong?

A problem I see is that psychiatry is a very new science, and definitely not even close to fully understood...

I don't have much respect for the psychiatry, to be honest... So I wouldn't like to put too much faith in them.

Also, there is the problem with that people would then have a reason to LIE to the doctor... In fear of losing his job... Alternatively not contact them at all. And that could cause other problems in the long run.
    Last edited by Kadagar_AV; 03-29-2015 at 10:10.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Also, there is the problem with that people would then have a reason to LIE to the doctor... In fear of losing his job... Alternatively not contact them at all. And that could cause other problems in the long run.
    That is indeed a big concern. Public trust in the profession is paramount, otherwise, they would not be able to help people.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Yeah if people can't trust their shrink the results could be even worse because they just won't ask for the help they really need. I am really torn really. Ending that trust could do more harm than good.

Member thankful for this post:

Beskar 

was a convert,.
    What the hell​ is your problem?
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Was he?

I mean... if he wasn't then yes, that comment was rather moronic...

Blog Entries

Yeah if people can't trust their shrink the results could be even worse because they just won't ask for the help they really need. I am really torn really. Ending that trust could do more harm than good.
    Spot on. This is why guidiance is that they inform the relevant authorities first, before the confidentiality is broken.

Read again. I have insinuated absolutily nothing. Like the guy holding a toy at the Ukraine planecrash, things aren't always what it seem. The internet was exploding and politicians were banging drums, and they all got it wrong in hindsight. It wasn't a trophy, it was 'look at this'.
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-01-2015 at 06:26.

Like the guy holding a toy at the Ukraine planecrash, things aren't always what it seem. The internet was exploding and politicians were banging drums, and they all got it wrong in hindsight. It wasn't a trophy, it was 'look at this'.
    It may have been both, but you choose to present is as a choice, like "look at this" couldn't have been followed by "I'll keep it".

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    It may have been both, but you choose to present is as a choice, like "look at this" couldn't have been followed by "I'll keep it".
    To put it in perspective, there were over a hundred Dutch citizens on that plane and a lot of was said that turned out to be bullshit, who shot it down is still not clear (to us civilians at least), but people drew their conclusions on the behaviour of the guys at the crashsite way too fast, In any case, that plane shouldn't have been flying over a warzone.
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-01-2015 at 07:26.

To put it in perspective, there were over a hundred Dutch citizens on that plane and a lot of was said that turned out to be bullshit, who shot it down is still not clear (to us civilians at least), but people drew their conclusions on the behaviour of the guys at the crashsite way too fast,
    You do the same. People have a right for their own conclusions.

You do the same. People have a right for their own conclusions.
    Not if the conclusions are based on anything premature. As it looks the plane was shot down by seperatists, but there is nothing that says it wasn't just a mistake. Same for this crash in France, that plane was kept on the ground for six hours because of technical problems, maybe there was never any intention to crash it. Looks like it was intentional but it could also be just circumstances. Possibly irresponsible decisions where the mental breakdown the pilot suffered comes in handy? Who knows, I don't.
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-01-2015 at 07:52.

Not if the conclusions are based on anything premature.
    Sometimes conclusions "on a hunch" turn out to be the most relevant.
    As it looks the plane was shot down by seperatists, but there is nothing that says it wasn't just a mistake.
    It is both - it was shot down by separatists, but they didn't mean to shoot down a passenger plane.

Read again. I have insinuated absolutily nothing. Like the guy holding a toy at the Ukraine planecrash, things aren't always what it seem. The internet was exploding and politicians were banging drums, and they all got it wrong in hindsight. It wasn't a trophy, it was 'look at this'.
    Well, seems like it's high time to come with some sources.

I have my own problems with Islam, but that's a debate for another time and place. Why are you trying to make some messed-up political statement over the death of all these people? It's disgusting.

It is both - it was shot down by separatists, but they didn't mean to shoot down a passenger plane.
    I don't think they did it on purpose. Wrong time wrong place. Especially wrong place, other airlines avoided Ukrainian airspace. Somebody has a lot to answer for as it was well known that these weapon-systems were there as things are turning out, the Ukranian government informed them way in advance they were there but the Dutch government never passed the information to airliners. Another developing story.

Well, seems like it's high time to come with some sources.

I have my own problems with Islam, but that's a debate for another time and place. Why are you trying to make some messed-up political statement over the death of all these people? It's disgusting.
    Why do you pick out one sentence out of my post to make your own. I tried to relativate things, you see the word islam and suffer leftist reflexes, you can't read the rest anymore, cognitive dissonance they call it in psychology.
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-01-2015 at 14:10.

I voted VVD in the last elections:DDD

Interesting you're using terminology from psychology while simultaneously bashing. No, you're making an unfounded statement and I called you out on it. You've delivered no sources as at all. You've dragged islam into a discussion again without there being any indication whatsoever that it had anything to do with this.

So let me ask you again: what the hell​ is your problem?

You not being able to read

I don't think they did it on purpose. Wrong time wrong place. Especially wrong place, other airlines avoided Ukrainian airspace.
    Their purpose was to bring down a Ukrainian plane.

Their purpose was to bring down a Ukrainian plane.
    A miliitary cargo-plane as I understand, one was taken out that hight before apparently. I don't know anyone who died there, only indirectly. There are all sorts of talk-groups and there seems to be no grudge, only sorrow. A lot of questions remain as the Ukrainian government warned the Dutch authorities that this could happen way in advance. But alas, a lot of people dead, no bringing them back.

A miliitary cargo-plane as I understand, one was taken out that hight before apparently.
    I would say any plane flying over their territory. The separatists couldn't imagine that there could be other than Ukrainian plane above them.

I would say any plane flying over their territory. The separatists couldn't imagine that there could be other than Ukrainian plane above them.
    Yeah, I don't get the feeling anybody is angry over this over here. It's tragic, that's all. The guys who pressed the buttons are probably devestated and I hope they can come to terms with just having made a mistake.

edit, even calling it a mistake is wrong, they just can't be blamed for this at all.
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-02-2015 at 12:37.

Let's also remember the guy who pulled the trigger was most likely ordered to do so...

I give it an EXTREMELY high chance that it was a complete blunder... Mainly because neither side had anything to win from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast