Thread: Realm Divide

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Question Realm Divide

Yes, yet another topic about this ole friend.

Ok, so I've played a fair bit of Shogun 2 (1400+ hours at this point), so you'd think I would have noticed this in a campaign, and perhaps I did and it's been awhile and in my old age I'm becoming forgetful. At any rate, here's the situation:

I'm playing as Hojo, I've taken out the Date, subdued Takeda and so I've got a tight control over the eastern side of the island. On the otherside I've got Chosakabe who have expanded into the middle and nearly taken everything there except Kyoto. The Ito have the Shimazu island and the Otomo have gotten a big stretch of the western side in the general area of where the Mori.

All well and good. Here's the question about Realm Divide, I've been watching the game bar and creeping up to the edge, but not over it. I've not kicked it off yet and triggered realm divide, so no announcement and no wave of declares on me. Yet I've just noticed in the last say 5 or 6 turns I'm losing 5 points in diplmacy every turn as if I've triggered already, the diplomacy relations show an ever increasing negative number referred to as Realm Divide.

Is this just something I missed in the past? Because I never recall getting a RD hit before you kick it in oficially. And is there any connection to me not triggering it while at the same time sending a couple monks down the western side of the island inciting riots to a number of the Otomo provinces in anticipation of my invasion once RD did kick in. IOTW, can you effectively tick over a soft version of RD by inciting a number of provinces to rebel control?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Realm Divide

The closer you reach RD, the higher the penalty you'll get in the form of territorial expansion. Inciting riots will definitely add up to the diplomatic penalty, so by now your only chance is to keep on doing the same and reinforcing your armies because RD will kick in and you will have war with everyone.

And if you overextend, make sure you create some vassals and supply them with money. Create a buffer, it helps.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Guess in the past I just never noticed a diplo penalty kicking in before the official announcement of RD, I rather like that, but subtle. Nudges the human player to get on with things instead of just turtling forever just this side of fame bar kicking in RD.

No worries on the vassal front, post RD I created right at dozen of them, love doing that, no upkeep cost or morale ding and guaranteed trade partners...

One thing with RD is that you're better off creating vassals after RD and not before, because they get the RD penalty as well.

Just to put that out there for others who are dealing with RD.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Yep, definitely agree on creating most post-RD. Every now and again I use them pre-RD if I want to keep a buffer between me an aggressive clan or because I'm really hard up for some trade income (knowing full well I'll have to pay the price of conquering them again when RD kicks in).

Not really worth it pre-RD, because by the time they can act as a proper buffer it will take a couple of turns. Post-RD, create them, protect them, and after 10-15 turns or so you can start using your armies freely.

Proud

Been to: