Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The World's Religions

Default Re: The World's Religions

That still leaves 60% who are more or less catholic.
    That catholics are often not true christians is nothing new, I've said that for ages.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

What is a Godless Catholic?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

One interesting thing to notice is the extreme contrast between the ex-Eastern Bloc countries. The Czech Republic, eastern Germany and Estonia are extremely atheistic, but Poland, Lithuania and the Orthodox Balkan states are extremely religious. I wonder why this is.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Not being a true christian does not imply being godless. For U-Boot-Christians (they only surface in church on easter and christmas ) and others it seems quite possible to see god as more of a force of the universe rather than the personal friend thing the more literal christians have. I talked to a catholic once and that catholic wasn't fond of the personal friend idea. Instead this catholic's view was that god is love in a more abstract sense and so on. I would assume people with such views count under "33% answered that 'they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force' ", yet show up as catholic in a census. I remember my protestant religion teacher also had a rather atheist view compared to what I was used to as being christian views, but I guess he wouldn't teach protestant religion courses at a high school if he was officially an atheist. The point being that the spirit or life force idea is probably held by quite a few people who would identify as catholics or protestants, sometimes maybe even more out of tradition or habit rather than actual belief compatibility.

Whether believing in a spiritual force makes one godless is debatable, since that spiritual force could be one's god.
    Last edited by Husar; 04-26-2015 at 00:54.

That still leaves 60% who are more or less catholic.
    Pantheism is not a form of Christianity!
    Vitiate Man.

Pantheism is not a form of Christianity!
    I never said it is, I said that quite a few pantheists may identify as catholics anyway.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"27% of French citizens responded that "they believe there is a God": And this includes the Muslims, Jews and Polytheists, and other "Christians" brands...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    "27% of French citizens responded that "they believe there is a God": And this includes the Muslims, Jews and Polytheists, and other "Christians" brands...
    Yes, absolutely, it's good to know that you can repeat Monty's point.

And my point was that this wasn't a census and the map may be explained by some of the other 33% who appear as pantheists here signing up as catholic on a census. If you are saying that my point is wrong I suggest that you start by proving that noone with pantheist views would ever call himself a catholic in a census.
    I was just trying to help explain the map by the way, I'm not sure why you all hate it so much that you have to find ways to say it is wrong as though everybody in your country is lying in a census or your country is too stupid to gather correct census data.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I was just trying to help explain the map by the way, I'm not sure why you all hate it so much that you have to find ways to say it is wrong as though everybody in your country is lying in a census or your country is too stupid to gather correct census data.
    As I have said, it is not about census respondents lying, but about inaccurate census questions and inadequate interpretation of it.
    On a sidenote, going to church and being a believer are not identical. Some go to church because it is a tradition (especially on religious holidays), others to conform to the group pattern of behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    As I have said, it is not about census respondents lying, but about inaccurate census questions and inadequate interpretation of it.
    So the government is too stupid to know what its people are about?
    Who elected it then?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    On a sidenote, going to church and being a believer are not identical. Some go to church because it is a tradition (especially on religious holidays), others to conform to the group pattern of behavior.
    Exactly.

So the map is not wrong, it simply shows what it claims to show. Let me quote the OP:

1) This maps shows nominal religion as self-determined by individuals answering census questions, surveys, etc. This does not necessarily indicate their de facto religion; for example, someone may call themselves a Catholic for cultural reasons but not believe in God while another may say they have no religion yet believe in some divine or supernatural force.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    So the government is too stupid to know what its people are about?
    Who elected it then?
    The legend says that not only censuses (or what is the plural for it - censi?) were taken into accounts, but also surveys, etc. These were not governmental (or not all of them governmental). But I attribute the spotted shortcomings to the map developers, not to the information-gatherers. Fot the latter (who are definitely locals) the difference between Greek catolics and Roman catholics is huge, so they would never dump them into one category. The map developers, evidently, have less experience at least in some issues.
    But, hey, cheer up - the criticism of the map your are so fond of seems to me quite limited. The color decision is pretty good. Print it out and hang it on the wall.

Print it out and hang it on the wall.
    Idolatry.
    Vitiate Man.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Idolatry.
    Nah! Art for art's sake.

If simple "home brew" opiates become a reality, religion may be pointless:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...hetic-biology/
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Blog Entries

Pretty sure if home brew drugs was going to kill religion it would have happened with the creation of crystal meth.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    If simple "home brew" opiates become a reality, religion may be pointless:
    Prayers till late at night aren't followed by a hangover or withdrawal syndrome. Or are they?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Cool Re: The World's Religions

A smart one.

Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

Antarctica is way more Catholic than I thought.

A quick look at those "other things" that are not religions, but are systems of faith:

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinion...gger-game.html
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Speaking of catholic, congrats to Ireland for voting in Gay Marriage via referendum.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Firstly, thanks for the map.

QUOTE=a completely inoffensive name

1. African Christians seem to be mostly Protestant, I thought Catholicism was dominant across the entire southern half.

I question your ability to read this map. You cannot know how many are one or the other from this map, merely the percentage of adherents out of the population in a given area. While Protestantism may be more geographically widespread, the area itself says nothing of the actual number of adherents within. Christianity has swelled dramatically in Africa since the 19th century and solid numbers are difficult to come by.

2. That large blob of "no religion" in eastern Germany as well as Estonia.

There are a large number of Czechs who claim no religion. Eastern Germans are some of the least religious in the world.

3. New Guinea (the island) is more diverse than I thought as well.

There have been dramatic and varied attempts at evangelism in that area. It looks how you would expect it to look from the long-term Portuguese and British influence.

4. The pockets of Islam in Albania(?) and Bosnia were more dominating than I thought.

Not if you knew that these were Islamic nations due to long-term Ottoman occupation. Today, Islam is actually on the downturn, but is still the plurality if you break Orthodox & Catholic adherents apart.

5. There are tiny enclaves of Roman Catholicism majority in the oddest of places. Does anyone have any knowledge of why?

Imperialism by trading powers, most notably the Portuguese, Spanish, French, British (interestingly), Dutch (interestingly).
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 05-27-2015 at 01:31.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    A quick look at those "other things" that are not religions, but are systems of faith:

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinion...gger-game.html
    What I find amusing is that people think this is new.

Special interest groups and supposed military invulnerability.

I'm gonna say it again - the Romans phoned - they want their irreligious intellectual life back.

at least Christianity provided something new​.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Member thankful for this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12