Thread: Extra 5 Squalor per Region

Throwing stones from afar Member Cazbol's Avatar

Default Extra 5 Squalor per Region

In one of my provinces, Frisia, the squalor in each region is 5 points higher than the total squalor from buildings. I can't see where this is coming from. Does anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: Extra 5 Squalor per Region

Is it persistent over multiple turns? If so, then I don't know.

If you just now noticed it and are still on same turn, then it's probably just "Bad Winter", which will clear up next turn.

Member thankful for this post:

Cazbol 

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bramborough View Post
    Is it persistent over multiple turns? If so, then I don't know.

If you just now noticed it and are still on same turn, then it's probably just "Bad Winter", which will clear up next turn.
    That, or check your ruler/governors/generals. I believe, I've seen a trait that adds to squalor.

An unlikely but potential reason is that enemy agents are sabotaging your settlements.

The effect disappeared the next turn, so the bad winter theory seems correct. I've developed a habit of ignoring notifications about unseasonal conditions. Do they actually describe the effect they have? If so, I've managed to miss it completely.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cazbol View Post
    The effect disappeared the next turn, so the bad winter theory seems correct. I've developed a habit of ignoring notifications about unseasonal conditions. Do they actually describe the effect they have? If so, I've managed to miss it completely.
    Yes, when you click on a region, on the left bottom side of the screen there is a list of icons with effects that are active. The local seasonal effects is one of them.

Member thankful for this post:

Cazbol 

And there it is. I can be so blind, sometimes. Thank you.

The "good/bad" seasonal effects are quite minor, to the point of being hardly noticeable. Even when you do notice, the effect is gone next turn anyway. In other words, you're not missing much by ignoring the Unseasonal messages. I don't look at them any more either.

The only exception is that in a region running a neutral or small squalor surplus, then Bad Winter can also touch off a disease outbreak...which might persist and spread for a while. So any Squalor surplus less than +5 does carry a small amount of risk.

Edit to add: Worth mentioning is the regular Autumn effect of +14 food. The potential pitfall: making building decisions based on inflated food levels. A couple of times I've managed to drive a province into food deficit because I started building a big food-consumer building and didn't notice it was Autumn when I did so. Oops.

I've evolved my method somewhat in that now I tend to do major province upgrading in the Spring; not only does that avoid the above problem, but also takes advantage of the Spring agricultural/husbandry priced reduction for any ag/pasture I might build (which is often quite a few).
    Last edited by Bramborough; 04-28-2015 at 06:54.