Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Man's Sky

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No Man's Sky

So I reached the Galactic Centre... what a waste of my life.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Now what? Does the game continue or is game-over/start again?
    This space intentionally left blank

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Now what? Does the game continue or is game-over/start again?
    Why can it not be both?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You get to center, then you are zoomed across space to another galaxy, to crash all over again like you did at the start. No fancy cutscenes, or anything. Basically, New Game+
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Funny, that's the same thing everyone who doesn't play games says about all games.

Blog Entries

It made the Mass Effect 3 ending look like a brilliant masterpiece.

Okay, so you bolted for the Galactic Centre and reached it in 2-3 days. There are a bazillion planets and stars in the game. Is there any incentive or reason to forget about the Galactic Centre and just do something else with the game?

I'm asking because I'm currently playing Elite Dangerous, and while initially impressed with early information about No Man's Sky, the closer to release, the less excited I've become about the game. I'm inclined to stay with Elite Dangerous and remove No Man's Sky from my wishlist - unless there is more to the game than just a short two day trip to the game's objective and repeat.

Blog Entries

If I am honest Gregoshi. I bolted for the middle, like a mindless drone, in a very intense two day sessions which took a solid chunk of those two days, because I wanted to see what the hype was about the middle. Lets say, you can safely ignore the middle. This is part of why I was disappointed, because I neglected other parts of the game to reach it and you receive a big middle finger from the developers.

No Man's Sky's main focus is on exploring worlds, which are large and if I am honest, very time consuming to complete (especially since I couldn't scan/identify flying creatures, so had to leave a large chunk of worlds incomplete). This provide you with credits and you get to name stuff. After visiting a bunch of worlds, you will see that the fauna is pretty much identical, with the creatures being a pick 'n mix of random parts, like if someone had a bunch of lego animals, smashed them, and put them together blind-folded.

Other focus is solving puzzles and challenges, made more difficult by the fact the aliens are talking in complete jibberish, which you can unlock random words to help decode. These are repeated a lot again, and the more maths based ones you can safely introduce to toddlers for them to decode. For example, work out the next in sequence, with options presented to you.
    1226-2261-2612-**** Is it = 2162 / 6122 / 4234

The game has a honeymoon period, and being honest, this will last like 10 hours before it starts to 'settle in'. In the start, this is made frustrating by lack of inventory space, which does get better later, but by that point, it doesn't really matter.

For the price-tag, the game is not worth it. This gets compounded by the fact it is a niche title (so if you like the premise, you have a nice honeymoon period to enjoy), but if you don't like the niche gameplay, it will get old very fast. There is no "end-game", offers virtually unlimited grinding which serves no real purpose. There is a quest-line which is underwhelming, but it does give some sense of achievement, especially as it does scale with difficulty due to it eating your inventory space but you do unlock the ability to start expanding it, which offsets this.

The game does give a big fanfare of a goal of "reaching the center", but there is absolutely no reason, with knowing what is there, why anyone would actually want to do it. It is more a "what is this mystery at the center.... oh.... time to re-roll my save."
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-15-2016 at 17:44.

Thanks for that analysis. I guess I'll put it aside for the time being and keep tabs on it as the game progresses, in this thread and elsewhere...then wait for a Steam sale if things turn more positive.

Blog Entries

I found this comparison of the 2014 E3 Gameplay video, and reality.

Last edited by Beskar; 08-17-2016 at 02:55.

Members thankful for this post (2):

So basically the game is terrible i thought it would be when they said no proper multiplayer
    Last edited by Lizardo; 08-16-2016 at 21:35.

Blog Entries

Here is a video of what happens at the galactic core. Now remember, to get to this point, you probably warped like 140 times, and if you were like me, and spent a solid 10 hours or so, of constant warping to get there.. this is the reward.

Also to make it funnier. All your equipment is broken, which made it impossible to mine the resources needed to repair it, unless you were already carrying resources. (I wasn't)

Also a reddit post on missing features: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...es_a_big_list/
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-17-2016 at 02:55.

Wow, that is incredibly lame. Okay, after seeing that and reading some of the reddit, I guess I don't really need this game.

About 3 hours into the game it hit me what it was.

The game is essentially explore the minecraft world but you aren't allowed to build anything. Once I realized that I uninstalled and called it quits. Havent thought it about it till I saw this thread.

So happy i did a steam refund.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

I follow an Elite Dangerous YouTuber called ObsidianAnt. He's been playing No Man's Sky, so I was really curious what his thoughts were since he is a huge Elite Dangerous fan. In a nutshell, he likes it because he likes exploration and discovery, something he does a lot of in Elite Dangerous. So as a counterpoint to all the outrage, I'll post his video commentary here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Funny, that's the same thing everyone who doesn't play games says about all games.
    Or Ian Bogost.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Blog Entries

Apparently there is a chance to grab your refunds, regardless of Playtime, you can get your money back, now.
    http://www.inquisitr.com/3458500/no-...-of-play-time/

I have tried two times, but I have received no luck in it. However, I have over twenty hours in it. Those who have less than 10 have been successful.

Also someone did the research. Out of 18 quintrillion planets.. there are only 255 different ones.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-28-2016 at 23:55.

Out of 18 quintrillion planets.. there are only 255 different ones.
    Haven't we learned over 20+ years that 2D graphics can only flatter procedural sameness, whereas the opposite with 3D?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I think I said this game was going to be a disappointment. I'm not happy to be proved right, but I feel somewhat vindicated.

Core problem - the developer thought he was making a survival game, the players thought it was a Space Opera.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

And also he encouraged the customers to believe they're buying Space Opera. Kind of an amateurish misleading, CA does it much more eloquently.
    Out of curiosity, is the dinosaur monster bugged or did the developer decided to make him move like a spastic, on purpose?

Blog Entries

I really like this review of the game.

@Crandar They move like that, really obvious on the giant creatures.

I'd say standard animations applied to random creatures.
    Might be possible to at least slow animations down depending on the size/volume of the creature, but even that probably can't beata carefully crafted game. It's the problem with the procedural generation IMO, it becomes hard to take everything into account and you can't expect a computer to just generate something with "common sense". Possible that with enough formulas the computer can randomly generate believable worlds, but then it may take 10+ years to develop and a supercomputer to calculate on the fly.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Also someone did the research. Out of 18 quintrillion planets.. there are only 255 different ones.
    Isn't that clear cut false advertising?

255 different planets is not 18 quintrillion. The same planets again and again is not the same as generating a whole galaxy of wonders.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Monk 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Isn't that clear cut false advertising?

255 different planets is not 18 quintrillion. The same planets again and again is not the same as generating a whole galaxy of wonders.
    Funny you brought this up, this came out today...
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...to-no-mans-sky

Advertising Standards Agency is investigating No Man Sky's after numerous serious complaints.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Advertising Standards Agency is investigating No Man Sky's after numerous serious complaints.

Members thankful for this post (3):

And now for something completely different...

I love exploring the galaxy of No Man's Sky. I've been playing for a year and a half and it's still a challenge to survive. I remember fleeing from two Pirate ships to the safety of an unknown planet. I landed in the nick of time as the two veered off and headed back out into space. I then realized that I had landed my ship on top of a giant mushroom!

I've played Morrowind and Oblivion all the way through with one character and never died. Usually after a few weeks you figure out how to keep the edge in most situations. My traveler never has an unbeatable advantage even after 18 months. The funny looking creature that resembles a bouncing balloon...it will kill you. Endless frenzied sentinels will too. A squadron of pirates will take you out in seconds. I've taken out hundreds of pirates and thousands of sentinels and my character hasn't died once, but it has always been a challenge.

Mostly I just explore. The planets are awesome. Once I just sat in my ship and watched a beautiful valley as one whole day came and went. I've logged about 88 planets' complete flora and fauna. I've throttled back my ship so as to fly with a flock of avian creatures that looked like Chinese dragons. I've walked under a creature as big as a dinosaur. Large shark like sea monsters nipped at my feet as I stood safely on a shoreline. I've even found a large group of critters in a mass writhing around like some kind of alien orgy.

The latest updates allow the traveler to build a base camp structure and use a freighter. An even tougher survival mode was also added. The Atlas part of the story has been tweaked so that you can now activate portals you discover. I imagine that the game will grow with each passing year. I'll be there as it grows.
    Last edited by Agent Miles; 01-22-2018 at 19:23.
    Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It will probably all come ttogether in time. Going to take a while, team is realy small

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12