Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Man's Sky

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default No Man's Sky

I've been keeping tabs on this one for the couple years now it's been working and while it's unfortunate they signed an exclusive launch on the PS4, at least we now know as a result that this thing has a Q4 launch window. Which means on PC it'll probably be Q1 or Q2.

I only hope the hype doesn't crush the soul out of it, but as you can tell from this article (and god knows you've gone mainstream when even The New Yorker is covering your game) the guy who started Hello Games has been dreaming about SciFi (the old school kind that started it all, a la Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein) so his heart is in the right place, and I for one, really hope they pull this off, because if they do, it could be something really rather special.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...d-most-popular

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No Man's Sky

It is going to be shallow, unfortunately. That is my prediction. I hope it isn't, as it would be an interesting title to pick up.

Usually it is like a lump of Jam, you can have it spread thickly on one piece of toast, or spread it thinly on two. This looks like it is aiming for three slices spread.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

At least with a glass half empty expectation you won't be disappointed.

Member thankful for this post:

Beskar 

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Looks interesting!

Yes, it does indeed. I just hope a game actually lurks out there in all that space they've created.

It sounds a lot like you'll just hop around a lot of colourful planets for no good reason until you get bored or discover the disappointment in the center of the galaxy.
    If there is actually a game to play that could be cool, but procedurally generated everything seems a bit like what Beskar said. There may be some "missions" or "things to explore" that are placed on the planets randomly but they are unlikely to be very unique or carefully crafted if they have to be adaptable to the randomness of the procedural generation. From the video it looks more like some artsy exploration thing that you just play until you inevitably get bored after 20-30 minutes or feel like you're a real arts connosieur and get drunk on wine or bourbon. There's some hope that the video just doesn't show everything but what it does show is actually not all that promising IMO.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Beskar 

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Might be it falls short in terms of actual gameplay and long term motivation, but tackling the procedural generated universe sounds interesting at least from a technical point of view. Maybe something to build upon?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

If it allowed mods like minecraft then it could be something to behold.

Some of the MC mods take the game from sandbox to adventure mission orientated.

To paraphrase Carl Sagan there are more stars in the sky then sand grains on all the earths beaches. So this could be a giant sandbox or starbox if you will. Or it could turn into another Peter Molyneux bull...frog.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Does anyone remember the Space stage of Spore? It was a boring mess that had no point from a gameplay perspective. This sounds just like it.

Also, I doubt anyone would actually be able to visit that many planets. Nobody would be able to visit that many in a lifetime and I doubt RAM memory would actually support that many planets(Of course they only get generated when necessary, but eventually you have too many planets in memory). I'm pretty sure that this isn't just a number for hype, since it corresponds to the maximum value of a unsigned 64-bit integer.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    I doubt RAM memory would actually support that many planets(Of course they only get generated when necessary, but eventually you have too many planets in memory). I'm pretty sure that this isn't just a number for hype, since it corresponds to the maximum value of a unsigned 64-bit integer.
    Come on, that doesn't have to be the case at all. The entire game world of Skyrim or GTA would already make your 8 or 16 GB RAM explode, that's why these worlds are usually streamed and not everything is tracked. If a car in GTA disappears from your view or a certain distance around you and is not important, then it does not get tracked any further and is just deleted from memory. The changes that need to be saved can be saved to the HDD when required and loaded only when you go there again etc. Gothic already provided a pretty open world like that in 1999 or 2000, with day and night cycles and so on. There is no need to save everything in your main memory and depending on how the planets are generated it is possible that only a certain hash key or so has to be saved to generate the planet again when you decide to travel there again. The other possibility is not to save the way the planet is or was changed at all, like in Far Cry 2, where you could leave a checkpoint after killing everyone, return once it was barely out of sight and it would be fully staffed again as though nothing ever happened. Given that most players would probably not travel to all planets anyway as you say, the RAM should be even less of an issue.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

They have this running already so technical considerations are rather pointless. All this is a procedural generated universe only in the direction you happen to be looking at. Everything you're not looking at for any given gaming moment doesn't exist and therefore takes up no resources.

If you want to raise a flag, jump in line with everyone else who are all asking will this even be a game I want to play. Spore I suspect in hindsight will prove a poor comparison, that was a trainwreck created by a guy past his creative 15 minutes of air time. The question for me is: have they tackled whether a walking simulator in space has a point inside it worth the journey. I'm intrigued enough to start the thread on it, so you know I'll be watching and listening what the PS4 console mouthbreathers have to say about it later this year.
    Last edited by easytarget; 05-22-2015 at 00:29.

Waited for a release date forever, one came out today, not particularly great news given how much time Sean has wasted running demos for the last couple of years hyping it up, it's still 8 months out: June 2016

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Looks like a nice place to visit, possibly, but it will be fatally compromised by having a console release, and worse a console release first.

I'm sure there'a market for it, but it looks like it will essentially be about exploring a big open galaxy without any real motive other than wanderlust.

In that sense it's a much weaker and, yes, shallower game than Star Citizen or Elite.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Members thankful for this post (2):

Yeah, what I've read makes it seem really boring.

EVE Online is probably the only space game that has a good grip on the "gameworld" aspect, but on the other hand it's so community-driven that I've never had the gonads to invest my time into giving it a go.

Something like EVE Online with on-world activities and options, as well as fleshed-out political and economic frameworks such that players can become statespersons within various forms of government and actively shape the geopolitical dynamic of the game universe with policy and legislation. You know, something other than grinding pirates or asteroids, trade, or running enormous shell organizations.

The one big problem I see is how to make it work without character permadeath. But even that wouldn't be sufficient, as relationships would obviously form off-game or between profiles/accounts rather than particular avatars.

Yes, if the principle engagement of the game is the internal social order rather than the mere accumulation of loot or levels, considerations of balance go to interesting places. The best I can come up with is, in terms of lore and server allocation, a series of "parallel universes" with varying initial parameters through which player-lives cycle. Maybe as one character, you become an influential minister mediating between System X and foreign investors, but your hired pilot is a trollish newb who beats you to death for no reason on a routine commute to the government offices. Hence, you continue with a new character in another server, and you can't return to that first server until some fixed time period has passed.

(Meanwhile, the psychotic killer reenacts Grand Theft Auto on the world you loved.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 10-29-2015 at 06:05.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    , but it will be fatally compromised by having a console release, and worse a console release first.
    actually it's simultaneous release on ps4 and pc, not that it matters, it's still to far off for my tastes

as for your comment about SC and Elite, I don't see this competing with them.
    Last edited by easytarget; 10-30-2015 at 00:55.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    actually it's simultaneous release on ps4 and pc, not that it matters, it's still to far off for my tastes

as for your comment about SC and Elite, I don't see this competing with them.
    Open World Space sim - you aren't going to invest time in Elite, Star Citizen and No Man's Sky - you might buy two of the three but you'll only invest your time in one.

And I'm betting Star Citizen is the one that will hit like a nuke because of the A-List cast for Squadron 42. Squadron 42 is the Pot designed to get you onto the Crack that is Star Citizen.

Elite has a head Start - Star Citizen has the big names in both devs and cast - what does No Man's Sky have?

Also - why should I buy no Man's Sky? Because it has a bigger universe?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Likely very true, myself, I've no interest in SC right now, none. Not sure about Elite, guess I'll just sit back and see what becomes of that universe once they call it done.

As for No Man's Spore (which is what I've started calling it lately), I'm just telling you I don't see it as competing with SC and Elite, NMS is not really a space sim in my view. It's more exploration than space sim and makes no pretensions like the other two in this regard.

And no, I wouldn't suggest you pick up NMS based on it being a larger universe.
    Last edited by easytarget; 11-03-2015 at 04:42.

Default No Man's Sky

Finally closing in on a release date for this one, so I figured it's about time to start a thread on it.

PS4 Trailer featuring a dash of Bladerunner narration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBERVWYa-1Y

In-game gameplay footage from about a month ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA

You mean a thread like this one that you started a year ago tomorrow? No Man's Sky
    This space intentionally left blank

Husar 

haha, oopsee. Strange because no matter how I did a search for any combo of No Man's Sky I didn't get a hit. Oh well, back again it is, not like this utterly dead forum is going to suffer from the clutter now is it?!

Yes, well, point taken, but one must maintain an air of decorum in times such as these. [/English butler impression]

So, what is your take on the game from what you've seen, heard and read so far?
    This space intentionally left blank

So far from what I've seen of the actual game-play it appears to match up pretty well with what Sean (lead programmer) described as his vision for what he was going for in making this. I grew up reading Herbert, Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, etc, so I get the aesthetic Sean was influenced by and designed into the game, so I'm pretty interested in seeing whether he manged to pull off making a game that's actually fun to play.

Blog Entries

It is out soon.

There is a leak of an early video done via the PS4 going around which youtube keeps taking down.
    http://www.watchmybit.com/Video/Show...7-3d17a642c61f
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Too bad his audio overpowers his voice.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

I'm ignoring the leaked video, but will circle back with my first impressions once it releases.

Blog Entries

It has been repeatedly streamed (and taken down), but being honest, it looks like my initial concerns were spot on. The game looks really shallow and lacking character.

I am still tempted to get it, only because I fancy jetting around and derping. But I am not foreseeing any depth.

And I'm still convinced it's exactly what I thought it was when I first watched a video of it three years ago.

Okay so my 103minute review.

Its a fun little exploration game but it has some glaring PC issues.

Its got your basic survival mechanics minus food and water. You gotta worry about elements, atmosphere, and radiation. Ground fighting is meh, didn't do any dog fighting. The controls for the gamepad on PC leave a lot to be desired and flying is a bit cumbersome.

All in all the games just okay. It's not worth $60 in my opinion but probably closer to $30.

IMO wait for the sales and price drops unless you wanna play another exploration/survival game.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Blog Entries

Lack of Inventory Space is annoying. Especially just as the last slot is taken by a random piece of carbon when as you destroyed a massive chunk of gold.

Space Ship prices are also stupidly high, and you get no "cash-in" value of your own ship either. I saw a 48 slot ship at 100 million, for example.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-14-2016 at 05:57.

10 hours in and having a blast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast