Thread: No Man's Sky

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default No Man's Sky

I've been keeping tabs on this one for the couple years now it's been working and while it's unfortunate they signed an exclusive launch on the PS4, at least we now know as a result that this thing has a Q4 launch window. Which means on PC it'll probably be Q1 or Q2.

I only hope the hype doesn't crush the soul out of it, but as you can tell from this article (and god knows you've gone mainstream when even The New Yorker is covering your game) the guy who started Hello Games has been dreaming about SciFi (the old school kind that started it all, a la Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein) so his heart is in the right place, and I for one, really hope they pull this off, because if they do, it could be something really rather special.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...d-most-popular

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No Man's Sky

It is going to be shallow, unfortunately. That is my prediction. I hope it isn't, as it would be an interesting title to pick up.

Usually it is like a lump of Jam, you can have it spread thickly on one piece of toast, or spread it thinly on two. This looks like it is aiming for three slices spread.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

At least with a glass half empty expectation you won't be disappointed.

Member thankful for this post:

Beskar 

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Looks interesting!

Yes, it does indeed. I just hope a game actually lurks out there in all that space they've created.

It sounds a lot like you'll just hop around a lot of colourful planets for no good reason until you get bored or discover the disappointment in the center of the galaxy.
    If there is actually a game to play that could be cool, but procedurally generated everything seems a bit like what Beskar said. There may be some "missions" or "things to explore" that are placed on the planets randomly but they are unlikely to be very unique or carefully crafted if they have to be adaptable to the randomness of the procedural generation. From the video it looks more like some artsy exploration thing that you just play until you inevitably get bored after 20-30 minutes or feel like you're a real arts connosieur and get drunk on wine or bourbon. There's some hope that the video just doesn't show everything but what it does show is actually not all that promising IMO.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Beskar 

Default No Man's Sky

Finally closing in on a release date for this one, so I figured it's about time to start a thread on it.

PS4 Trailer featuring a dash of Bladerunner narration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBERVWYa-1Y

In-game gameplay footage from about a month ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA

You mean a thread like this one that you started a year ago tomorrow? No Man's Sky
    This space intentionally left blank

Husar 

haha, oopsee. Strange because no matter how I did a search for any combo of No Man's Sky I didn't get a hit. Oh well, back again it is, not like this utterly dead forum is going to suffer from the clutter now is it?!

Yes, well, point taken, but one must maintain an air of decorum in times such as these. [/English butler impression]

So, what is your take on the game from what you've seen, heard and read so far?
    This space intentionally left blank

So far from what I've seen of the actual game-play it appears to match up pretty well with what Sean (lead programmer) described as his vision for what he was going for in making this. I grew up reading Herbert, Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, etc, so I get the aesthetic Sean was influenced by and designed into the game, so I'm pretty interested in seeing whether he manged to pull off making a game that's actually fun to play.