Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum 2.08e is released!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum 2.02 is released!

Quote Originally Posted by QWE_asd View Post
    defender trait bug is still there
    Traits more generally are a bigger piece of work than we could manage in the last few days picking up various bits and pieces. For a completely cleaned up EDCT, that will probably have to wait for the summer release.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

I spotted an error in the withdrawal of assistance part of the code - the Seleukids get nothing and KH get double.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 05-21-2015 at 14:56.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Can you check the new colony system bug as stated in my previous reply?

colony build option bug

After several hours in my bosporan campaign I'm afraid the 2.02b colony system is not working properly.
    I can't spend any colony points I have despite owning metropolis. Instead, I found the building options disappearing after I refresh the building panel by adding a building to the queue or reopening the panel.

In the script it says:
    if I_EventCounter ecBosporanColonistsOn <= 1
    set_event_counter ecBosporanColonistsOn 1
    wait 1
    set_event_counter ecBosporanColonistsOn 0
    end_if
    same for all 9 greek factions at every endturn, and m2tw ultimate document 2.0 says "wait"'s unit is in seconds.
    It didn't take 9 seconds for every AI's turn to finish which means "wait" does not pause AI's turns. This monitor's scope is actually across multiple factions' turn and overlapping with itself. I can't spend any colony points after several seconds passed in my turn because the option is turned off by this monitor which started in previous AI's endturn and ended during my turn.

Maybe all "wait 1" should be changed to "wait 0.1" (or don't use wait at all because it's too dangerous).

Start a pergamon campaign and destroy the colony, you should see the colony build option. Go to next turn and immediately open the build panel the build option might be still there, wait several seconds and refresh the panel the option is gone. You can repeat it by going to the next turn.
    Strange, I started a game as Makedonia when testing it. They start with colony points, I can build a military colony in Demetrias, which builds. The message stops appearing after that and the building builds.

I'm starting to wonder if we need a simpler method of handling colonies, it's been troublesome in every iteration since it first appeared.

You can see the option and build it because it's the first turn. The bug happens after first turn.
    And the overlapping window for Makedonia is 1 second, which is not very noticeable.
    Try pergamon (8 seconds overlapping window) and bosporan (9 seconds overlapping window)

You can see the option and build it because it's the first turn. The bug happens after first turn.
    And the overlapping window for Makedonia is 1 second, which is not very noticeable.
    Try pergamon (8 seconds overlapping window) and bosporan (9 seconds overlapping window)
    Would you be able to test if changing the wait to 0.1 solves it?

I'm going to have to look at the campaign script again; I think a rewrite of all the colonist systems, into something simple enough for the AI to use, is in order. Sorry anyone who was hoping this was it.

Still, feedback on the battle mechanics and general movement of CAI would be good.

Alright, I've put up 2.02c, sorry to anyone who's gotten well into a campaign, but it's not savegame compatible. For the time being, I've reverted to the old colony point script, which should be functional, after a fashion. That might be "unlimited colony points", and the AI can't use it, but it's better than none.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to come up with a new system that doesn't rely on button clicks and different scripts for player and AI.

I've found a temporary fix to the colony system in 2.02b:
    change all wait 1 to wait 0.1
    and do:
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType f_pergamon
    wait 2 ;make sure there is no leftover monitors from previous turn
    if I_CompareCounter PergamonColonyPoints > 0
    set_event_counter ecPergamonColonistsOn 1
    end_if
    end_monitor
    to all 9 factions.
    if I_EventCounter ecMakedoniaColonistsOn <= 1 ; the event is off or on
    set_event_counter ecMakedoniaColonistsOn 1 ; enabling the event counter to allow construction to continue
    wait 0.1 ; stop processing this monitor for x.x seconds
    set_event_counter ecMakedoniaColonistsOn 0 ; disable\reset the event_counter for the next round, if colonypoints counter is > 0 then this will be set back to 1 at faction turnstart
    end_if

with:
    monitor_event FactionTurnEnd
    if FactionType f_makedonia and not FactionIsLocal ; the event is off or on
    set_event_counter ecMakedoniaColonistsOn 1 ; enabling the event counter to allow construction to continue
    wait 0.1 ; stop processing this monitor for x.x seconds
    set_event_counter ecMakedoniaColonistsOn 0 ; disable\reset the event_counter for the next round, if colonypoints counter is > 0 then this will be set back to 1 at faction turnstart
    end_if
    end_monitor

the colony system breaks at turn 1, which doesn't make any sense to me because they are endturn monitors and no endturn has happened at turn 1.

I appreciate the thought, but I'm all for ditching it entirely. It's too complicated - for the AI and to a degree for the human player as well. As before, I've reverted to the old one for the time being, I think I'll leave a new system (which has to be agreed, implemented and tested) for the full summer release.

So we are done with colony system for 2.02 testing?

So we are done with colony system for 2.02 testing?
    I think so; I've restored the old one for how.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I get a CTD playing as Romani every other 3 turns - playing 2.02c.

Somehow, two days ago, it was working without a hitch (one CTD in 20 turns). Now I get one every other 3 turns.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

AI is passive, most(90%) of the rebel towns are still there after 100th turn. AI refuse to attack rebel town even with multiple stacks of army.Playing M/M.

I managed to go around it somehow by saving the game every turn before clicking on the End Turn button, but sometimes CTDs still occur.

They only occur when the factions are "loading" their own turn movements. (after End Turn button)

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

AI is passive, most(90%) of the rebel towns are still there after 100th turn. AI refuse to attack rebel town even with multiple stacks of army.Playing M/M.
    Keeping a particular eye on CAI feedback. Keep it coming. Which faction are you playing, and which other factions are you observing?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I managed to go around it somehow by saving the game every turn before clicking on the End Turn button, but sometimes CTDs still occur.

They only occur when the factions are "loading" their own turn movements. (after End Turn button)
    That sounds like a possible installation problem - does it do that with a clean installation of 2.01?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 05-22-2015 at 23:23.

Yes, it actually did, but rarely. I started a test Romani for 2.01, and I got a CTD on turn 12. Then again on turn 33.

It's just on End Turn, that's it, nothing else. Battles work fine, campmap works fine.

Proud

Been to:

I'm playing parthia, attacked seleukeia on turn 1. Took the eastern half of it, faced little to no resistance.
    After I asked for peace, seleukeia never tries to retake its lands even though my border cities only have one garrison, and it always leaves its border defendless.
    This happens to all AI factions, baktria lost marakanda to rebels and never bother to take it back despite having 3 stacks of field army.
    Rome took taras and stopped there as in every campaign I played since 2.02 is out. I don't think AI has attacked any rebel city. Most 1 settlement factions are still 1 settlement.

I think the problem is at the beginning the AI think it's too weak to attack the rebel town, when the AI built up its army it went bankrupt and become passive.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medieval2 2015-05-22 19-25-08-06.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	661.5 KB 
ID:	15477
    Last edited by QWE_asd; 05-23-2015 at 05:31.

Hello there EB2 team. Thanks for your efforts in the new release. I have a couple of points to raise. Apologies if this is repeat material. Please also note, this is only after approximately ten turns.

In each iteration of EB2 there has been a problem with AI path-finding/stack merging for the Carthaginian armies at Lilibeo. Here is a picture.

https://i.imgur.com/rH7lhHr.jpg

It seems as if the two armies are trying to merge and then board the ship (which keeps close to the coast), but is unable to do so. Instead, the two armies keep moving past each other along that narrow strip of coast.

Another point. Armies tend to move in and out of small settlements multiple times after each turn. Here is a picture

https://i.imgur.com/6XNyaJ3.jpg

This Epirote army moved in and out of the minor settle four times on the last turn. Could this be rationalised as raiding? Also, as you can see, I have an army waiting at the border, so not sure if this is defensive behaviour.

Another point, which is most pleasing to see, is the abundance of diplomatic activity. Only after a short time, I have been asked for alliances by both the Aedui tribe and the Nabataens. Here is a picture.

https://i.imgur.com/k1z5FQq.jpg

This is great work.

I'm afraid I am a slow player, but I will shall post further observations as I continue. If there is anything specific you wish for me to look for on this Roman campaign, let me know.

Cheers, Charlie

Thanks for pointing out the particular problem with Lilibeo.

The minor settlement bug, as the behaviour you're witnessing is called, is known. We're looking for a way to fix that. Campaign AI is going to be tweaked again, as is the economic assistance script.

Good to see lots of diplomatic activity - as a note for 2.02c, diplomats are much easier to come by than they were.

Hello again Quintus,

Just some more feedback. First, more on Lilibeo. I shall post the pictures, then provide a description.
    https://i.imgur.com/TrORBCg.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/OphmfrZ.jpg

Gesco, who comes of age, travels deep into enemy territory with only his bodyguard. Next turn, he returns to the narrow strip of sea outside Lilibeo. I'm not sure why there was a move into enemy territory without more forces. Perhaps it is related to the problem with stack merging in this area, although I've heard that this can sometimes happen with other family members.

Secondly, stack merging and AI defensive behaviour in Taras seems to be working well.

https://i.imgur.com/qS3hjuZ.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/p3blfvj.jpg

The turn before, I entered their territory. This prompted two armies Epirote armies to stack merging and enter Taras. Their combined number forced me to retreat. After, they sent a small force to defend the border. They are now building that force. Enjoying this tactical exchange.

Will report back. Good luck on the 2.02d.

Odd CTD (repeated three times now) playing baktria. At the beginning of the turn, when clicking through the news icons on the left hand side the game ctds (error reading cd message), and an apology, I forgot to get screen shot each time.

Other than that enjoying the game play, battles certainly more challenging, AI players seem a lot more passive strategically but due to a/b/c release not got further than turn 30 so far to comment further

Quote Originally Posted by HFox View Post
    Odd CTD (repeated three times now) playing baktria. At the beginning of the turn, when clicking through the news icons on the left hand side the game ctds (error reading cd message), and an apology, I forgot to get screen shot each time.
    That's bizarre. A screenshot alone won't really help, we need an error log if we're going to work out what's going on, but it sounds like something more fundamental than these recent changes.

Quote Originally Posted by HFox View Post
    Other than that enjoying the game play, battles certainly more challenging, AI players seem a lot more passive strategically but due to a/b/c release not got further than turn 30 so far to comment further
    Yes, we're looking at the campaign AI again for 2.02d.

Hi People!

I reinstalled the game, and it works nice. There are some observations:

- AI seems a bit more warmongery, and big factions as Rome declare wars by port blocking
    - Land conflicts are much more active, this is the first time I've seen Pergamon taking the initiative versus AS
    - The first Hellenistic Reform seems to work nicely
    - AI seems incapable, or at least does not want to fight rebels, can it be because of the new mechanics in rebel garrisons?
    - As I always remember you, (I don't want to be a tick on the ass), is to revise unit upkeep. Unit costs in Carthaginian units are waaay more expensive than hellenistic units, and I don't know if this is intended

I hope some of this to be useful, there is a copy of my neighborhood at this moment.

Hail, team!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	623.9 KB 
ID:	15482
    Last edited by Saigrin; 05-24-2015 at 21:46.

Members thankful for this post (2):

I live in a small town in Northern Idaho, USA

Turn 26 as Bosporans on M/M.

I've taken two rebel territories and the Sarmatians took the camp NE of the sea, but that is it for conquests to date. Seen/heard sea battles among AS/Ptolies/Mak and Rebels against ??? (fow).

Three FMs started racking-up negative traits (3 bumpkins, 2 rumormongers, 2 toadies) while staying in Pantikapaion so I've moved them out. The FM remaining did not acquire such traits but he developed the starving trait soon after being adopted into the family and it has remained for several turns even though he has never been out of the city since he appeared.

Still enjoyable, though I am saving often as CTDs are not uncommon. These have occurred during end-turn, viewing cities, and battle-aftermath.

EDIT: When turn 27 arrived the starving FM recovered to belts tightened, so I was just being impatient. Also found the Getic leader attacking rebel Histria, so there is some aggression other than the Sarmatians.
    Last edited by Ozonius Tomicus; 05-28-2015 at 04:08. Reason: Update on two things mentioned initially

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    Hello there EB2 team. Thanks for your efforts in the new release. I have a couple of points to raise. Apologies if this is repeat material. Please also note, this is only after approximately ten turns.

In each iteration of EB2 there has been a problem with AI path-finding/stack merging for the Carthaginian armies at Lilibeo. Here is a picture.

https://i.imgur.com/rH7lhHr.jpg

It seems as if the two armies are trying to merge and then board the ship (which keeps close to the coast), but is unable to do so. Instead, the two armies keep moving past each other along that narrow strip of coast.

Another point. Armies tend to move in and out of small settlements multiple times after each turn. Here is a picture

https://i.imgur.com/6XNyaJ3.jpg

This Epirote army moved in and out of the minor settle four times on the last turn. Could this be rationalised as raiding? Also, as you can see, I have an army waiting at the border, so not sure if this is defensive behaviour.

Another point, which is most pleasing to see, is the abundance of diplomatic activity. Only after a short time, I have been asked for alliances by both the Aedui tribe and the Nabataens. Here is a picture.

https://i.imgur.com/k1z5FQq.jpg

This is great work.

I'm afraid I am a slow player, but I will shall post further observations as I continue. If there is anything specific you wish for me to look for on this Roman campaign, let me know.

Cheers, Charlie
    Thanks for this, I always wanted to know whether that implementation of aedui/nabataens being more willing for an alliance with rome would work as I intended.

As to moving in and out of the minor fort- I believe it's due to the default CAI within the executable itself conflicting with the xml decision entries. XML takes precedence over the default CAI and eventually overrides it. According to a fellow team member- in any mod with permanent forts this problem happens at times happening until the army runs out of movement points, so be thankful it only happens four times. (joke) :)

The carthaginian army there I have marked myself, nonetheless thank you for reporting it every report like that is useful - as it is a problem the team will address in the future (my cohort a skilled mapper will attack the remaining CAI pathfinding problems through map improvements to the best of his ability).

Gisgo Governer of Ippone Member madmatg's Avatar

Could you possibly make the fort/supplements into a trade good and make the merchants into "minor governors"?

Phil 2:9-11 Phil 4:4

Quote Originally Posted by madmatg View Post
    Could you possibly make the fort/supplements into a trade good and make the merchants into "minor governors"?
    The problem is, merchants used as 'minor governors' will also be able to trade other resources, like elephants or wine. Even if the player chooses to roleplay and not use them like that, the AI will happily spam 'minor governors' and put them all over their fertile soils amd whatnot.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

The problem is, merchants used as 'minor governors' will also be able to trade other resources, like elephants or wine. Even if the player chooses to roleplay and not use them like that, the AI will happily spam 'minor governors' and put them all over their fertile soils amd whatnot.
    Hmm no clue if it is possible but if they spawn via script for the owner of the minor settlement(They die when it changes hands)-And don't make them recruitable and give them 0 movement points would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Thoras View Post
    Hmm no clue if it is possible but if they spawn via script for the owner of the minor settlement(They die when it changes hands)-And don't make them recruitable and give them 0 movement points would that work?
    If you're going so far as to spawn them via script, you might as well just write a script to give the owner of the fort x amount of money per turn directly with no need for merchants. Though that is a little more cumbersome than it sounds at first, since M2TW doesn't have a function for checking the owner of a fort, so you'll have to check for coordinates instead.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast