Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Waterloo - 200 Years

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Battle of Waterloo - 200 Years

200 years of Waterloo - 2015 marks the bicentenary of the Battle of Waterloo, the battle which ended Napoleon resurgence to power and exiled him definitely to Saint Helena.

To mark the comemoration, the Battle of Waterloo bicentenary will be one of the most fastidious comemorations of the battle, with more than 5000 re-enactors and 120.000 spectators.

The battle will be portrayed in two phases - the French attack and the Allied counter-attack.

You can find more info over here - https://www.waterloo2015.org/en

That being said, Waterloo is one of the most important battles in European history and it's really no surprise that it is being comemorated as such. Plus, from a re-enacting perspective, Waterloo offers the whole array of uniforms, cavalry charges and infantry formations.

So, any one of our esteemed Orgahs going?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Battle of Waterloo - 200 Years

Well, well. Just finished Weller's Wellington at Waterloo, but did not occur to me there would be an event. Sadly June is packed this year, and I'd have to take 2-3 weeks off to do everything! Which is difficult. But we'll see what we can do. Will be at LeMans in all likelihood to see the race the weekend before, so it's only a train ride away.

You dressing up edyz?
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    Well, well. Just finished Weller's Wellington at Waterloo, but did not occur to me there would be an event. Sadly June is packed this year, and I'd have to take 2-3 weeks off to do everything! Which is difficult. But we'll see what we can do. Will be at LeMans in all likelihood to see the race the weekend before, so it's only a train ride away.
    A bit of derailment from the topic... but watching Le Mans live must be incredible! Particularly this year when competition makes it super super exciting.

You dressing up edyz?
    I would have loved to! Those Grenadiers a Cheval de la Garde Imperial look fabolous.

Tickets sold out quite fast, 120.000 spectators all eager to see the re-enactment.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

I am not sure that Waterloo is the one of most important battle in European History (as Napoleon would have lost at the end, as during the Campaign of France, too many enemies..), but one of the most symbolic that is for sure.

It is probably something to go to see...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

I won't be able to unfortunately. In 2013 there was a big reenactment not far from where I live for the Battle of Leipzig (1813). I couldn't make it but a friend went there and from what he told me it must have been great.

Has anyone here been to one of those Gettysburg reenactments? They're said to be quite good as well.

Apparently both Leipzig and Gettysburg are very well represented in terms of re-enactments.

Leipzig some time ago apparently had about 10.000 re-enactors, and Gettysburg is a very popular commemorative event as well, with more than 15.000 re-enactors in some cases.

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    Has anyone here been to one of those Gettysburg reenactments? They're said to be quite good as well.
    I go to the Gettysburg reenactments every couple of years. The reenactments on the "fives" (135, 140, 145...) are usually BIG. I went to the 135th for Pickett's Charge where they had about 15000 reenactors and I personally counted about 100 cannons between both sides. I was at the 150th two years ago but it was rather disappointing as not too many Confederates showed up compared to the masses of Union troops. I think all the big 150th anniversary reenactments was starting to take its toll on the participants (plus the Confederates lost that one...). I've also been to a couple of the big Antietam reenactments before they became private events.

Here's a link to my Facebook album for the 135th Pickett's Charge reenactment which covers it from the cannonade to the skirmishers to the full blown charge: Pickett's Charge album
    This space intentionally left blank

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Great, thanks for the pictures!

Well, they probably ran out of manpower eventually...

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very good pictures Gregoshi.

Edyz, it's my first time at LeMans, so yeah really looking forward to it!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Beautiful stuff Gregoshi.

Did you ever participate in one of those re-enactments? (not necessarily Gettysburg)

Proud

Been to:

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I will be attending the 200th anniversary and both re-enactments. I will take pictures, dont worry! Got Class A tickets too so I should have a good spot to see it from! Was rather expensive though but I think it will be worth it. I just hope it doesnt rain.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 05-27-2015 at 18:52.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Thanks for the comments on the pictures. They are scans of prints as this was 1998 and I was a few years away from the switch to digital.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Did you ever participate in one of those re-enactments? (not necessarily Gettysburg)
    I thought about it for several years as my very first one, the 135th Antietam, had a very powerful emotional impact on me. At the time though, cost was a factor. Plus the idea of sweating by the bucket load wearing wool on a 90+ degree F/32+ degree C hot sunny day kind of killed the enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I will be attending the 200th anniversary and both re-enactments. I will take pictures, dont worry! Got Class A tickets too so I should have a good spot to see it from! Was rather expensive though but I think it will be worth it. I just hope it doesnt rain.
    I look forward to those pictures. If you can, scout the field ahead of time. Talk to some reenactors or event officials to find out the general direction of the action. You don't want to be on the wrong end of the field. These events are in fields and on farms so not all viewing locations will have the best line of sight. Artillery will probably be easy to figure out as they are typically setup prior to the event. If your ticket allows you to move around, so much the better. For the Pickett's Charge event in the pictures, they had a mile of bleachers along the line of attack and unfortunately, we were sitting closer to the Confederate starting location and were fairly far from The Angle/wall and climax of the battle. So some recon prior to the battle(s) may enhance your enjoyment of them.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I agree with Brenus. I think that if Napoleon managed to win Waterloo (he almost did, AFAIK with my limited knowledge of the battle) it would only have postponed his inevitable downfall. The truly decisive battle of those wars was at Leipzig, which also involved far more soldiers.

The actual re-enactments will be on the 19th and 20th of June, and Im planning on spending literally all day on the battlefield on the 18th and 19th (and them Im going to Bastogne on the 20th with Andres, and hopefully will make it back in time for the 2nd re-enactment, as it doesnt start until 20:000. Unfortunately I wont be able to get into Hougoumont farm or any of the new museums as you need to pay for tickets and they are all sold out but I got lucky with the re-enactments. Will post pictures here and on facebook for those who have me on there!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    I agree with Brenus. I think that if Napoleon managed to win Waterloo (he almost did, AFAIK with my limited knowledge of the battle) it would only have postponed his inevitable downfall. The truly decisive battle of those wars was at Leipzig, which also involved far more soldiers.
    I prefer to think of Waterloo as the more decisive battle, as it justifies the relatively large amount of money I am spending for my trip there.

Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (4):

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Huzzah!

Looking forward to see those pictures over here, I'm glad someone from the Org is going to see the re-enactment. Same goes for Andres.

Proud

Been to:

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn, this is what I get for putting off buying tickets. Guys that are going, have a great time! I'll try to get in... somehow.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Damn, this is what I get for putting off buying tickets. Guys that are going, have a great time! I'll try to get in... somehow.
    You've got about two and a half weeks left...

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Do you live in Belgium? As a consolation prize, would you like to join Moros and I to Ypres and/or Brugge? Or maybe to join Andres and I when we go to Bastogne?
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 06-01-2015 at 15:06.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in the USA, visiting Europe for the first time ever around Waterloo. I'll be in Brussels for two days (the 18th and 19th) before heading off to France. Would love to make something work if it's feasible!
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Aaand... it's the 18th of June. 200 years since the Battle of Waterloo.

Those who manage to go to the ceremonies, please post pics! Would be wonderful to see how it went!

Proud

Been to:

Reporting in from the Waterloo Battlefield!

There's not actually much to do here on the battlefield if you don't have tickets to the bivouacs or the museums, which I don't (had a glimmer of hope when a misinformed employee told me that because I had tickets to both the the-enactments that I would be allowed into the bivouacs. He was wrong, unfortunately).

There's a small open air market that would be awesome if I had a suitcase I could bring back a cuirassier helmet, so I had to settle for a shot glass, a small commemorative medal, and a flask that was an impetuous buy. Lots of re-enactors walkinG around so that was awesome. The actual battlefield is basically closed off for safety reasons or something dumb like that. Got to watch some cool bagpiping though. Tomorrow is the first of the re-enactments so after 4 hours this morning I called it a day and walked the 5km back to where I'm staying. I would go back later this afternoon but I'm rather exhausted. Or rather, my feet ache to hell, the rest of me is fine.

Anyways here's a picture of former enemies:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434637224.148692.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	293.5 KB 
ID:	15629

And another of the whole battlefield:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434637285.025400.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	15630
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Great stuff Hooahguy! Looking forward to more pics, maybe maybe some of the re-enactment!

Proud

Been to:

I have pictures and (some) video!

Problem is that I was kinda far away but considering the sheer number of people there, we can't all have a front row view!

Here's a kinda blurry picture of some French lancers forming up:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434751816.682037.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	15634

More to come next week, when I will have access to a proper computer.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Looking forward to the rest, Hooah!

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

The battlefield is flatter than I imagined. I read from Cornwell Waterloo that the battle hinged upon a ridge sheltering the British lines from direct cannon fire.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That's because the Dutch I believe decided it would be totally a great idea to dig up that ridge and turn it into a big hill, which is now the Lions Mound. The rest of the battlefield is intact though.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Indeed, the ridge is now part of the Lion's Mound that overlooks Waterloo.

Proud

Been to:

Here is a picture from the reenactment, after adding a sepia effect, on suggestion.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435255449.914622.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	15678
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Members thankful for this post (4):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast