Poll: Honest poll this time: How much stress do you regularly have?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36

Thread: Stress.

  1. #1
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Once the basic things are taken care of, people manage to get equally stressed / jealous about all sorts of crap.
    I decided to make a thread about stress. Stress is inevitable, we will all be stressed at some point in time of our lives. Since you can't stop it, you can be better at it. In my life, I have undergone very little stress. Life definitely was not easy, though. So I thought I'd share some science to why stress is good, but only when you want it to be good. In fact, you will most likely have a higher lifespan purely from the way you deal with stress. Stress can increase the likelihood of a multitude of diseases. I hope people can learn from this and apply it in their lives. Also, helping others is important too. Hopefully you will be able to help someone when they're stressed.

    So let's get right into it.

    The basic mammalian stress response:

    We are humans. Humans are animals. Animals have stress responses. We, as humans, share the same stress hormones that a gazelle has. Strangely, we use these same stress hormones for really inane stuff. When a gazelle is running away for it's life, it is releasing many different hormones, one of which is the crystallised adrenaline from it's adrenal glands. This increases heart rate and breathing rate, while lowering digestion, the immune system etc. Basically, it shuts down all non-essential functions. Your body doesn't care about digesting that grass you had 20 minutes ago when you are running away for your life. This event lasts maybe 5 minutes. After which, your body can go back to it's normal function. Or you become lunch. This is why gazelle's don't have ulcers*. In fact, there is a very good book called Why Zebra's Don't Get Ulcers by Professor Robert Sapolsky. An excellent read. This is just a summary of what is in that book.

    *The bacteria Helicobacter pylori is responsible for ulcers. Around 2/3 of the worlds population have this bacteria in their GIT. Stress lowers immune response, i.e. making it easier for the bacteria to do its thing.

    Meanwhile, there are millions of people pumping those same hormones throughout their body for mortgages, work, relationships etc. OK, let's analyse this. People don't feel stress about mortgages when they don't have one. They don't feel stress when they're on top of their work. They don't feel stressed when they're in a stable relationship. So what's causing the stress? Well, obviously, when things aren't going to plan. When you DO have a mortgage, when you AREN'T on top of your work and when you're in an UNSTABLE relationship. All of these are adversities, challenges that life throws at us. And what does your body do? It's starts secreting stress hormones. Why? Because you have a challenge in front of you. The gazelle had a challenge when it was running away. The challenges humans have aren't directly life or death, for most people. But it still has a lot of impact. Your mind knows this. So it does what it can. It can't do your work for you, it can't solve all your problems with a wave of a wand. It releases those hormones. It cannot differentiate between life and death. It also cannot tell how long you're going to be stressed for. So it goes full steam ahead. All it sees is an adversity, so it does what it can to help. Your body is trying to help you as much as it can when you're stressed. Your heart rate increases, to get more blood to your brain. Your breathing increases, to oxygenate your blood, which is necessary for basic metabolic functions including those relating to the mind.

    How to deal with stress:

    So the next time you're stressed, remember, your body is trying to help you. All you gotta do is accept that help. Utilise it. If it's a long term challenge, like a mortgage, plan everything. When you plan things, you'll feel like you accomplished something. That feeling will counteract stress. You even might enter a state known as "flow". That's when everything is turning up Milhouse. Even though your heart is racing and your're breathing hard, you still feel good.

    The way a lot of people deal with stress is counter-intuitive. They hyperventilate, they believe they're going to fail, they enter panic mode. Stress and panic are totally different things. There are times when someone says to someone that copes well with stress during an emergency, "How can you be so calm?!". Because they're not panicking, but they are feeling stressed.

    The mind is a powerful tool. Your subconscious gets its nourishment from whatever it is given. If it is fed angry thoughts, you become an angrier person. If you believe you're failing, you will fail. I mentioned "They hyperventilate, they believe they're going to fail, they enter panic mode." The key word here is "believe". They convinced themselves that there is nothing they can do about it. The equivalent is a country that went through a disaster and being given aid from around the world. But the people are hysterical about their survival, even when they're being handed everything they need to survive. Hysteria is irrational. It is difficult to knock some rationality into someone having a hysterical fit. So what's the best way of dealing with this? Knock some rationality into them when they are calm.

    People have different ways of coping with stress. Some people exercise, some people do yoga, some people drink and make matters worse.

    I'm a heavy meditator and an even heavier psychedelic user. Sometimes I combine the two, which actually defeats the purpose of meditation, but I do both separately a lot too. This is something I came up with after meditating on LSD.

    "The mind is a canvas, and people are the artists. The more you think, the more you practice your art.
    But sometimes, your canvas gets too cluttered. Starting a new canvas allows for more possibilities to sharpen your mind.
    Eventually, you will have a blank canvas, with the skill to make something breathtakingly beautiful." - Me

    I keep my mind a blank slate. No thoughts, no emotion, no memory. Just nothing. Complete detachment. I recite a mantra that allows me to get into this state. It can be whatever you like, as long as it helps you detach. If detachment is hard, because of responsibilities and chores, then write them down and forget them.

    Obviously, you don't need psychedelics. I'd assume very few, if any at all, are regular psychedelic users. So I won't even recommend DMT. I just use them as a tool for higher consciousness. Before I'm lectured on psychedelics, I'm not addicted. Purely because of the way I view them as tools. I take regular breaks, where I fill my mind with new thoughts.

    I'm getting off topic here. Pursue your passion. Most likely you will be less stressed after a good round of whatever you enjoy doing, whether it's music, art or acting. Some people are workaholics and feel less stressed when they do work. Whatever works for you. All you gotta do is experiment.

    Oh yeah, be healthy too. Healthy body, healthy mind. Don't need to be a vegetarian. Just find balance. Too much meat is bad. Not enough protein is also bad.


    tl;dr version

    Stress is good for you, panicking is not. Be on top of things. Be in control, or plan to be in control when conditions are favourable. Take time off to bring your mind to a neutral state. And be healthy, yo.



  2. #2
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Stress.

    Everyday shit. Damn out of cigarettes. Money is late. My cats stole my food.

  3. #3
    Clan Clan InsaneApache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Grand Duchy of Yorkshire
    Posts
    8,631

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Everyday shit. Damn out of cigarettes. Money is late. My cats stole my food.
    I've run out of beer!
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

    To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

    "The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

  4. #4
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    I've run out of beer!
    There is always some wodka and orange-juice somewhere so I got that covered. Additional stress, having call my mom because I screwed up again and have to borrow some money to buy food. Hi mom. 'hi my dear what can I do for you, the same as every goddamn month?' Well... that kinda covers it..

  5. #5
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    They don't feel stress when they're on top of their work.
    They can if they aspire for more and plan to climb higher but something (or someone) is in the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    Hysteria is irrational. It is difficult to knock some rationality into someone having a hysterical fit. So what's the best way of dealing with this? Knock some rationality into them when they are calm.
    Do you think they will remember your rational arguments when they get another fit of irrational hysterics? You said that the common sense is switched off at that moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  6. #6
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Do you think they will remember your rational arguments when they get another fit of irrational hysterics? You said that the common sense is switched off at that moment.
    Depends, you can train for different responses in the medium or long term, either yourself, which may be harder, or with military-style conditioning.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  7. #7
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    They can if they aspire for more and plan to climb higher but something (or someone) is in the way.
    That's true, but at least they wont panic. Hopefully.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Do you think they will remember your rational arguments when they get another fit of irrational hysterics? You said that the common sense is switched off at that moment.
    Once they acknowledge that they turn hysterical, they may seek to change it. It's not something that happens in a single day. It takes time and effort. But you gotta start somewhere.


  8. #8
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    That's true, but at least they wont panic.
    I believe panic and stress are not synonymous. You may experience stress inside but it would surface not as panic but as stupor, for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

    Member thankful for this post:



  9. #9
    Clan Clan InsaneApache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Grand Duchy of Yorkshire
    Posts
    8,631

    Default Re: Stress.

    I've got some beer now. Panic over.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

    To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

    "The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

    Member thankful for this post:



  10. #10
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I believe panic and stress are not synonymous. You may experience stress inside but it would surface not as panic but as stupor, for instance.
    That's exactly what I'm saying. The irrational mind, however, does not believe that. Which is why it's important to bring it in perspective. That is, what is stress? Most people I've talked to could not explain what exactly stress was. I think understanding is pivotal in not being affected negatively by stress. I'm not the only one who thinks that. Countless psychologists and neurologists say the same thing. That's the role of science education. Most people are specialists, they are devoted to their profession. As such, they leave other disciplines to the other "specialists". Most people don't know how EVERYTHING works, they have a basic grasp of how it works. I don't understand politics or economics, mainly because I believe in Occams Razor. Having said that, many people don't know enough about their own bodies. Everyone needs to communicate what they do, and what it means. This is my way of communicating science, which can often be lacking, due to the very inclusive nature of this discipline. Scientists are excellent at communicating among themselves. Communicating with the general public, who are often left behind in the dust when it comes to scientific knowledge, is a whole different story. And the thing is, it's completely understandable. Not everyone has the luxury to take time off and study other things. So, talking about science in a very simplistic way is the best way. Again, Occams Razor shines through.


  11. #11
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    Having said that, many people don't know enough about their own bodies.
    I'm afraid, if they do, there will be people who will use this profound knowledge not in the way the owners of the bodies would like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  12. #12
    Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    7,237

    Default Re: Stress.

    I'm weird. I like arguing with people and fighting generally. In my day to day life I choke that back because other people are conflict averse and I need a paycheck, but I fell generally un-stressed.

    I do despise the government, but I find that it is my hobby to attack without end, so I appreciate the target. Without things like gun control, abortion, war, liver disease, other hurdles, life would be so boring. I relish in stress inducing chaos an find myself spiraling into a self destructive mode when there is no stress. I feel that we are built for war and stress, averse to peace for prolonged periods of time.

    "My only goal is to attack and keep coming"
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 06-01-2015 at 13:53.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

    "If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  13. #13
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: Stress.

    You think you are weird and at the same time claim that you think everyone else feels like you, too?


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  14. #14
    Clan Clan InsaneApache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Grand Duchy of Yorkshire
    Posts
    8,631

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    You think you are weird and at the same time claim that you think everyone else feels like you, too?
    Well that's pretty weird don't you think?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

    To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

    "The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

    Member thankful for this post:

    Husar 


  15. #15
    Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Albion
    Posts
    15,921
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    "My only goal is to attack and keep coming"
    Context is everything.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

    Member thankful for this post:



  16. #16
    Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    7,237

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    You think you are weird and at the same time claim that you think everyone else feels like you, too?
    Did I describe you? My point is that I feel it and live it. Everybody else is built for it but chokes it back.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

    "If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  17. #17

    Default Re: Stress.

    I think everybody has stress on a daily basis in this rat race life

  18. #18
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I'm afraid, if they do, there will be people who will use this profound knowledge not in the way the owners of the bodies would like.
    I think the opposite is true. People who are aware of their body's capabilities tend to be more health conscious. Compare this to a 300kg land monster who eats chocolate every second. Pretty sure they don't know about glycolysis. I have seen some very overweight scientists though, so it's ultimately choice. They know the science of it, but don't care.

    Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    I'm weird. I like arguing with people and fighting generally. In my day to day life I choke that back because other people are conflict averse and I need a paycheck, but I fell generally un-stressed.

    I do despise the government, but I find that it is my hobby to attack without end, so I appreciate the target. Without things like gun control, abortion, war, liver disease, other hurdles, life would be so boring. I relish in stress inducing chaos an find myself spiraling into a self destructive mode when there is no stress. I feel that we are built for war and stress, averse to peace for prolonged periods of time.

    "My only goal is to attack and keep coming"
    This way of thinking is actually really scary. Not the government part, but the combative attitude part. Kind of like that other guy who said war led to where we are now, so war is good. It seems like your line of thinking compliments Konrad Lorenz. "There is no love without hate". Also used a pressure builds up until release model, arguing that the longer it's been since the individual was aggressive, the less of an environmental trigger that will be required to provoke aggression. Which is complete rubbish.

    We are not built for war. We are built for self-preservation. To some people, they convoluted the idea of self-preservation, not about genetic self-preservation or about keeping their lineage going. More about preserving their assets. This leads to war. War is just large scale aggression. We have the physiology for aggression, hell, most animals do. But we've taken this very simple individual trait and turned it into something catastrophic. One of the unique features of humanity, and definitely not a pleasant one.

    This what human unity looks like in the face of a challenge.




    This is what large scale aggression looks like in the face of a challenge.




    I don't know about you, but I like the former picture a lot more than the latter.
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 06-02-2015 at 08:01.


  19. #19
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    Did I describe you?
    Yes, when you said I'm built for it, you even repeated it in this reply...

    Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    My point is that I feel it and live it. Everybody else is built for it but chokes it back.
    My point is that your extrapolation from your own feelings to everyone being built for it is rubbish. Why would your feelings be descriptive of everybody else's nature?


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  20. #20
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Stress.

    Stress isn't really the real thing, I got regrets. Kinda late to say that I'm really sorry to those I harmed.
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-02-2015 at 12:46.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Stress.

    Why would your feelings be descriptive of everybody else's nature?
    Because otherwise his ideology is revealed to have no clothes.
    Vitiate Man.

    History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats


    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Members thankful for this post (2):



  22. #22
    Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Between Louis' sheets
    Posts
    10,369

    Default Re: Stress.

    We are built for stress, except when it kills us early.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

    My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

    I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

  23. #23
    Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    7,237

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Because otherwise his ideology is revealed to have no clothes.
    In a world lacking a superlative right and wrong, the only thing of value is that which is interesting. War is more interesting than peace. Can it therefore be preferred?

    Either way, there is nothing to worry about. Cataclysm or Prosperity - life is just a fascinating experience.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 06-02-2015 at 19:10.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

    "If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  24. #24

    Default Re: Stress.

    Then it must be just so that Heaven, Hell, and the mundane would all be interchangeable.

    Welcome to nihilism. Pass the 420.
    Vitiate Man.

    History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats


    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  25. #25
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    We are built for stress, except when it kills us early.
    Which is the point of the whole OP. Stress is natural. But what we get stressed about isn't. The most we can do is control it. In order to control something, you must know what it is first, and how it works. That was my intention.

    Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    In a world lacking a superlative right and wrong, the only thing of value is that which is interesting. War is more interesting than peace. Can it therefore be preferred?

    Either way, there is nothing to worry about. Cataclysm or Prosperity - life is just a fascinating experience.
    Would you say that if you were thrown in the midst of a war? Watching your loved ones and those around you succumbing to bullets, starvation and PTSD? "Oh yeah, watching my mother being killed is interesting." If that is your way of thinking, I feel sorry. War seems interesting to those who do not partake. People say "war is hell" for a reason. Your naivety is amazing.
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 06-03-2015 at 04:27.


  26. #26
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    I think the opposite is true. People who are aware of their body's capabilities tend to be more health conscious. Compare this to a 300kg land monster who eats chocolate every second. Pretty sure they don't know about glycolysis. I have seen some very overweight scientists though, so it's ultimately choice. They know the science of it, but don't care.
    Whatever an average person may know about the way his body works, there always will be some scientist who knows more and he will sell this knowledge to those who wish to rule over others.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    In a world lacking a superlative right and wrong, the only thing of value is that which is interesting. War is more interesting than peace. Can it therefore be preferred?
    It seems we will be seeing you in Ukraine any time soon, on either side of the barricades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  27. #27
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Whatever an average person may know about the way his body works, there always will be some scientist who knows more and he will sell this knowledge to those who wish to rule over others.
    Eh? Selling knowledge? Scientists aren't wizards, it's not like we have arcane knowledge, and sell our services to the highest bidder. They're also not working for commission. They earn salaries, and do whatever research they can within the limits of their funding. All it takes to be a scientist is to understand how and why things work. If anyone has this sense, they are a scientist. Maybe not in a professional sense. Kids are the best scientists. They observe with this amazing grasp for curiousity that has been beaten out of us through age.

    Wikipedia exists for a reason. The only reason why some people see it as unreliable is because it is free for anyone to modify. However, for well-established topics, the knowledge is quite sufficient.

    Knowledge used to be for the rich aristocrats who could afford such things. In this day and age, being an autodidact is even more possible than it was for Leonardo, also an autodidact. All it takes is an internet connection.

    Whatever an average person may know about the economy there always will be some economist who knows more and he will sell this knowledge to those who wish to rule over others.

    Whatever an average person may know about politics there always will be some politician who knows more and he will sell this knowledge to those who wish to rule over others.

    Whatever an average person may know about computers there always will be some software engineer who knows more and he will sell this knowledge to those who wish to rule over others.

    You can apply any profession to your quote. It's called capitalism. The art of selling whatever you are proficient at, be it manufacturing goods or performing a service. The only thing that isn't completely true is the ruling over others. The only truth in what you say is that corporate big wigs have power, if that is what you mean. The age of kings and queens is gone. It's now the merchants who control the world. And fortunately, they aren't screwing us over as much as they could.

    I don't know about you, but I have a thirst for knowledge and wisdom. And I plan on sharing it with anyone who cares. Not for money or profit, but because that's the purpose I've given my life. I want to make this world a better place, through education and communication. Countless people I've met are the same. Not everyone cares about money.
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 06-03-2015 at 12:53.


  28. #28
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    Eh? Selling knowledge? Scientists aren't wizards, it's not like we have arcane knowledge, and sell our services to the highest bidder. They're also not working for commission. They earn salaries, and do whatever research they can within the limits of their funding.
    It was a figure of speech. I mean some of them (I don't know how high is the percentage) don't care what their reseach may ultimately lead to as long as their thirst for knowledge is satisfied. Some of them (like Sakharov, for example) repent, but the genie is out of the bottle and they can do nothing to undo their work.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    You can apply any profession to your quote. It's called capitalism.
    Yet none are so dangerous (in the long run) as scientists investigating the work of our bodies, brain in particular. If, say, Pentagon pays for such research, do you think they do it for pure joy of discovery?

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    I want to make this world a better place, through education and communication. Countless people I've met are the same. Not everyone cares about money.
    Yet those who do are numerous enough to spoil the honey barrel of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  29. #29
    Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Taplow, UK
    Posts
    8,439

    Default Re: Stress.

    I think that not researching an area to not know is analogous to not having an armed forces so no one else will have one.

    An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

  30. #30
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    It was a figure of speech. I mean some of them (I don't know how high is the percentage) don't care what their reseach may ultimately lead to as long as their thirst for knowledge is satisfied. Some of them (like Sakharov, for example) repent, but the genie is out of the bottle and they can do nothing to undo their work.
    Curiousity is a dangerous thing. Hence the phrase. However, it is never the scientist who uses their work for nefarious purposes. The government sees knowledge as an asset, a tool they use to further their own agenda. That is dangerous. American Congress is filled to the brim with nothing but businessmen and lawyers. No teachers, doctors, engineers, scientists or philosophers. This trend isn't only in America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Yet none are so dangerous (in the long run) as scientists investigating the work of our bodies, brain in particular. If, say, Pentagon pays for such research, do you think they do it for pure joy of discovery?
    So when the cure for Alzheimers or Parkinsons is found, that is dangerous to our bodies? The American government spends a huge chunk of money on the military. As a scientist, finding funding is difficult.



    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Yet those who do are numerous enough to spoil the honey barrel of the world.
    That is why I implore everyone to know a little bit about science. Know stuff about your own bodies, about the world. So they will not be exploited by those who use science without disclosing the full truth, or even partial truths. Also called sophistry.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO