Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun Total War coming to Steam!

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Shogun Total War coming to Steam!

According to the latest Rally Point...

This also means Medieval:TW is coming to Steam, which is amazing news as well. Hopefully in the case of Shogun more and more people will discover the original game that started the TW series.

Perhaps some MP battles, like in the old Org times?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Ludens 

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Shogun Total War coming to Steam!

The big question is...did they update the games so that they're playable on modern rigs without having to jump through hoops?
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    The big question is...did they update the games so that they're playable on modern rigs without having to jump through hoops?
    Yes.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Apparently, Shogun TW will get Windows 7 & 8 compatibility, large screen usage (16:9 and 4:3) and MP through Steam. The MP part is to be confirmed.

Proud

Been to:

Indeed, the details above are confirmed by CA. Reddit thread - http://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/com...pj7g?context=4

Quote Originally Posted by Nico_CA
    Both games will now support wide-screen, high resolution (16:9 & 4:3), Windows 7 & 8 if purchased through Steam.

Proud

Been to:

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Awesome-sauce.

And here it is!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345240/
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Did anyone play the "modern" Shogun TW?

Proud

Been to:

I am playing it now. It runs flawlessly on my Windows 8.1 64 bit machine.

I am having trouble with the first encounter tutorial but I searched the web, discovered this wonderful website, and found an answer I believe. I am a happy chap.
    Last edited by Igor, Mathter; 06-27-2015 at 17:18.

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Any idea if the LAN play can be turned into multiplayer somehow?

Nice
    The strength of my arms, the power of my soul, the valour of my men... These all belong to the Fear Clan. I'm ready to fight in the name of the clan.
    Shogun 2 on Facebook

Hope MP will be supported..
    The strength of my arms, the power of my soul, the valour of my men... These all belong to the Fear Clan. I'm ready to fight in the name of the clan.
    Shogun 2 on Facebook

This raises a good point I didn't ask before - does the "new" STW support MP? Can you play MP battles?

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    This raises a good point I didn't ask before - does the "new" STW support MP? Can you play MP battles?
    It doesn't seem so. I do not know if there is a workaround for MP.

Shame. I'll look into it as well.

I finally played some STW after all these years, I forgot how hard this game was.

Proud

Been to:

In my Uesugi 1530 campaign, once I had sorted out my problems with that lowlife nasty person Lord Hojo, things went extremely well - right up until I got crushed by the Oda.

I do have problems with the Hojo, even on Normal. I forgot how hard this game was, and how difficult it is to keep a hold of your territories without losing half your clan in 5 turns.

Proud

Been to:

Unlike some of the later TW games, you have to move quickly at the beginning, to stake your claim to provinces. If you let other clans capture some of the more lucrative territories, you'll find yourself way behind in development.

The AI gets koku buffs, so you have to have exacting battlefield tactics (ie. no Pyrrhic victories) and economy of force to defeat all those stacks you see running around.

I forgot how hard this game was, and how difficult it is to keep a hold of your territories without losing half your clan in 5 turns
    I remember many TW vets who took up the series from RTW onwards, saying much the same thing when they took up Shoggie. The STW AI can, and will kick your a$$ even on Normal setting if you play poorly.
    High Plains Drifter

I started with Shogun in the very months when it appeared, and I knew even back then this was hard. On Expert, you really have to be some tactical mastermind to defeat the game.

15 years ago... wow.

Proud

Been to:

Apparently, it may be possible to play MP using Hamachi and thereby turning a LAN connection into a WAN connection. I have not tested it so I cannot say for certain.

PS. Evolve might be an even better alternative than Hamachi. Not tested this either though, so... no promises.

Link for Hamachi... https://www.vpn.net/

Link for Evolve... https://www.evolvehq.com/welcome
    Last edited by Igor, Mathter; 12-02-2016 at 21:50.

Which literally makes it quite hard to do so, and not worth it, unless you have a group of friends to play with...

Proud

Been to:

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Apparently, Shogun TW will get Windows 7 & 8 compatibility, large screen usage (16:9 and 4:3) and MP through Steam. The MP part is to be confirmed.
    Apparently they updated it too good. At least for me it will install but not run anymore on Windows XP, despite on the Steam shoppage still claiming that it would.

Try and see if you can purchase a non-Steam copy to help you out.

Proud

Been to:

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Try and see if you can purchase a non-Steam copy to help you out.
    Oh, I do still have a CD version of Shogun: Warlord Edition which worked flawless while I was still using Windows 95C or later Windows 98SE. But I bought the steam version in the thought that I would no longer need to safeguard the old CD and that it would run without problems on Windows XP where the CD-version that was released when Windows XP did not yet exist, already had some problems. The funny thing is that the Steam version of Total War: Rome 2 - Emperor Edition still works on my system but the older releases of Shogun and Medieval on Steam have stopped working for whatever reason.

Edit: Just tested it and even Napoleon: Total War and Medieval II: Total War run without problems using Steam on my system. What did they change for Shogun and Medieval that those two refuse to run?

Edit: Strange - when I directly go to the directory of Shogun on my harddisk
    M:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Shogun 1 Gold
    and start shogun.exe the game works perfectly.

But if I have Steam started and try to start Shogun from the Steam library as the usual way would be, do I get the error about an invalid platform...
    Last edited by ConjurerDragon; 10-22-2017 at 20:40.

Try and do a Verify Game Cache to see if it works like this.

Proud

Been to:

Try and do a Verify Game Cache to see if it works like this.
    That was the first thing the customerservice suggested and that I did already twice for both Shogun and Medieval.
    No change. I can play the game when I start it directly using the .exe in the games directory but when trying to start Shogun 1 or Medieval 1 from the Steam library I get the invalid platform error. And just to mock me Napoleon and Empire work just fine from within Steam

In the Steam Community I read that the refurbished Shogun 1 and Medieval 1 come with a launcher that Napoleon, Rome and Empire do not have. Perhaps that is the reason that the older two games refuse to start on Steam for me while the newer ones work...?

Winter is coming... and somehow S:TW has the best winter music of them all: :

Proud

Been to:

and somehow S:TW has the best winter music of them all
    I would argue that Shogun I has the best music...period!
    High Plains Drifter

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

It's still my favorite soundtrack out of all the Total War games.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

It's winter... so dust off that old STW copy and get listening!

Proud

Been to:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast