Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun Total War coming to Steam!

Default Re: Shogun Total War coming to Steam!

Things you might want to try:

Run ShogunM.exe/ShogunW.exe with the D command line switch to force native desktop resolution and colour depth settings.

To test this out from the run command dialogue box or from cmd:

Code:
    ShogunM.exe D
    Caveats: You'll need to set your desktop colour depth to 16 bit colour. STW (and MTW) use 16 bit colour depth and most modern windows desktops are set to "32 bit colour").

This will run the game in an "overlay" on top of the desktop.

Pros: It avoids the problematic mode switching which can crash the game.

Cons: The game runs in a smaller overlay "window" (not a window) overlaying your desktop. Edge bump rotating the battle map camera doesn't work and edge bump scrolling of the campaign map doesn't work (doesn't bother me as I've always used cursor keys anyway).

You can also try out the Windows 7/8.1/10 compatibility settings.

Since Windows 8, I believe 16 bit colour depth support for the desktop was dropped. You can run the programme in "reduced colour mode" compatibility mode. You should also run "legacy" 32 bit programmes from the Windows 98 (Win9x) era in "run as administrator" pretty much as standard on any Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 installations.

There is also a "run this program in compatibility mode for" option. Just select the earliest Windows version it offers or XP/2k.

Also remove/rename the intro videos.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Shogun TW is often available for sale during the Steam Sales - the Summer one just finished but the Autumn one is coming up if you want to purchase STW for less than 1 EUR / 1 USD.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Let's not forget STW is turning 20 years old next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    Let's not forget STW is turning 20 years old next year...
    Yeap.. here's a celebration thread we had 9 years prior for the 10 years of STW - it has some interesting links to the CV of the programmer of the original TW engine.. and links to STW cinematics/trailer..
    Last edited by Goalum; 02-02-2019 at 21:10. Reason: added info

Quite interesting to look over the guy's CV - he worked on MTW as well!

Quite interesting to look over the guy's CV - he worked on MTW as well!
    Yes, as well as in RTW to begin with, but they "canned" him [basically they made the game so commercial that he lost interest and left, it appeared] before its completion..

He was around here too back in the day, his nickname at the org was longjohn

It did create a massive boost for the TW platform though by going so commercial.

It did create a massive boost for the TW platform though by going so commercial.
    Yes, it did.. however the "old crowd" didn't like that very much.. the first two games aren't exactly mainstream products, and so they didn't attract exactly a mainstream audience..

There was a massive shift in community demographics and a lot of bitteness between the old and new guards of fans at the time.. you can see that in plenty old threads of that era..

I was around during that era to be honest - since I joined in 2005, RTW was in full swing / love and there was quite a marked difference between old schoolers and new schoolers. Things quieted down significantly with M2TW but the schism as you mentioned it was there.

That being said - MTW is my favourite game of all time.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I was around during that era to be honest - since I joined in 2005, RTW was in full swing / love and there was quite a marked difference between old schoolers and new schoolers. Things quieted down significantly with M2TW but the schism as you mentioned it was there.

That being said - MTW is my favourite game of all time.
    Was reading a few threads the other day about RTW2 and Attila in the TWC and, actually another schism has already happened between those that prefer the 2nd incarnation of the TW engine to the later games [Empire and afterwards that share more traits/features]

Its really funny because its the same post type of the old timers against those that prefer the newer games..

I also got the distinct impression that their content manager over there Welsh Dragon, the way he posted pro RTW2 and Attila may actually be a CA employee of some sort.. posing for a fan so as his arguments to be heard more - typical tactics companies and other organisations employ..

We had a few -in the late RTW early M2TW days- of those quasi CA employees or - who knows, perhaps actual CA employees..

At some point an mp player Jason Palamedes was actually employed as QA/tester for the battle aspect of the game, he was posting around here too..

There is a significant difference because people really loved RTW and M2TW, and those who started with ETW didn't like it that much. I personally loved Napoleon TW instead, and found it a great game, but not everyone shares this opinion and the problems with R2TW made it worse.

Proud

Been to:

There is a significant difference because people really loved RTW and M2TW, and those who started with ETW didn't like it that much. I personally loved Napoleon TW instead, and found it a great game, but not everyone shares this opinion and the problems with R2TW made it worse.
    I really liked Shogun 2 relative to RTW and M2, it was much better.

I also really like R2 especially now - its very much better than RTW and M2tw - both in the campaign and the battles as far as i am concerned.

Great game for SP, Attila too.

Funnily enough, it had many suggestions that we were proposing in the STW and MTW forums here all these years.. Caravel and i and others [tosa, puzz3d, econ21 plenty of others] had written some epic suggestion posts, and it seems someone was reading.. that's good.. although i haven't received my share of the royalties yet..must be the royal post again
    Last edited by Goalum; 04-01-2019 at 21:32.

Most companies do trawl through the forums because the gamers come up with some excellent ideas.

Most companies do trawl through the forums because the gamers come up with some excellent ideas.
    Yeah, i should have never posted all that before talking to my lawyer

You can always pick up the Unreal Engine (free for use!) and do your own strategy TBS game.

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

Goalum 

You can always pick up the Unreal Engine (free for use!) and do your own strategy TBS game.
    My time with this sort of thing is through.. others, younger and more talented than me will pick up the mantle..

You will need coding now regardless, so make it profitable!

Proud

Been to:

I have other sources of income..let CA make a buck too..

They're raking it with Warhammer!

Proud

Been to:

They're raking it with Warhammer!
    So they are.. good for them

It might be worth doing it in the long term to fund the historical projects, for CA. Warhammer for the funds, then create historicals.

I was bored a couple of months ago and I fired up STW one more time on Steam, and I completed a quick campaign with Uesugi. I forgot how hard it could be at times.

Proud

Been to:

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I forgot how hard it could be at times
    Of all the TW games, Shogun had the toughest AI to defeat, IMHO. The Oda 1580 campaign, on Expert setting, has to rank in the top five all time in any TW genre for difficulty.
    High Plains Drifter

It was especially hard because AFAIR it did not get extra bonuses.

Proud

Been to:

Still prefer Shogun Warlord and Medieval TW 2002 over those latest entries. It just doesn't feel the same anymore.
    I got the copies on Steam as soon as I had a chance. Now trying to play this again.

I remember this opening intro, but it seems that it was removed in the Steam version ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoshIg-F4fo

Also, anyone has luck launching the game in windowed mode ? Exclusive full screen doesn't work really well with my 2 monitors rig. Thanks in advance.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

I hadn't been able to play Shogun ever since I switched to Windows 7. The Steam version works perfectly for me. Don't like buying games I already own, but for €2.49 I couldn't resist. Having a great time. Playing some Expert campaigns using tons of Ashigaru. Sweet. =]
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Drisos! Oh wow, welcome back to the Org!
    @Drisos

Proud

Been to:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome back, indeed!

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Hey guys. =]

I seem to remember having more trouble winning Expert campaigns. Perhaps the long break actually made me reevaluate some bad strategies. One thing might be that I build more Ports early on, perhaps it's a good investment financially compared to improved farms in mediocre regions? Finished Sengoku Jidai campaigns for Oda, Shimazu & Takeda in no time. Think I only restarted Oda once after getting my Daimyo killed in one of the first few turns.

I wonder if it'll still work when I ditch Windows 7 for some Linux distribution, btw...

Edit: Which combination of Campaign (in Sengoku Jidai/1530/1550/1580) and Clan would be hardest to finish? Without imposing extra restrictions on myself, that is (other than not using Geisha, which I already refuse). For Sengoku Jidai, Imagawa seems hardest perhaps (no easy way to strongly expand income)? But I don't have much experience with the 1530/1550/1580 ones.
    Last edited by Drisos; 01-12-2020 at 13:35.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Which combination of Campaign (in Sengoku Jidai/1530/1550/1580) and Clan would be hardest to finish?
    Hands down, Oda 1580 (expert setting) You face a Takeda/Imagawa alliance right from the start, and within the first several turns you face off in a must-win battle against Takeda's cavalry army (mixed HC, NC, CA, and YC) and Imagawa's BFN/YS/SA's on the same battlefield. You have only Ashi and Teppo, plus whatever else you can scrape together.

I say must-win because if you lose (the onslaught typically happens in Mino, occasionally in Owari), your fledgling empire is cut in half with little hope of recruiting enough troops to carry on.

I had an AAR a long time ago of one of these campaigns, complete with screenies, but unfortunately all the screenies are gone I had to fight the aforementioned Takeda/Imagawa alliance on one side, and a Mori/Shimazu alliance on the other. Nearly every single turn there was a major battle on one side or the other....sometimes both.

The key, IMHO, is to maximize the use of musket teppo (don't waste your time with the Arquebus) to inflict maximum casualties, while you carefully marshal an offensive army to strike back. It's somewhat frustrating to fight a series of defensive battles without striking back, but I tried several different strategies and finally settled on defensive battles to bleed those alliances terribly before my counter-offensives hit back. I got lucky on the Takeda/Imagawa front because I killed both Daimyo's and all the remaining heirs in one epic battle (Musket has a knack for killing generals)

Even if you don't use Geisha (same as me), you'd better have some highly skilled Ninja's to take care of enemy Geisha hunting your generals.

All-in-all, Oda 1580 is the most difficult, and most rewarding of all the Shogun I campaign's outside of the historical campaigns.

BTW, I did find one of my campaigns outlining strategy and describing events, but all of the screen-shots are lost

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...aga-s-Ambition
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 01-01-2020 at 01:19.
    High Plains Drifter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast