Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shogun Total War coming to Steam!

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Shogun Total War coming to Steam!

While reading the replies I have realised one important aspect... Shogun Total War is now 20 years old. 20.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Twenty awesome years. ;) I also recently played Anno 1602 (released 1998) and Age of Empires II (released 2000).

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Hands down, Oda 1580 (expert setting) You face a Takeda/Imagawa alliance right from the start, and within the first several turns you face off in a must-win battle against Takeda's cavalry army (mixed HC, NC, CA, and YC) and Imagawa's BFN/YS/SA's on the same battlefield. You have only Ashi and Teppo, plus whatever else you can scrape together.
    Ah yeah, I posted several stories about campaigns of mine back in the day. Pretty sure all those screens are gone too, and I no longer have them. Oda 1580 sounds good, it's definitely next on the list!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Hands down, Oda 1580 (expert setting) You face a Takeda/Imagawa alliance right from the start, and within the first several turns you face off in a must-win battle against Takeda's cavalry army (mixed HC, NC, CA, and YC) and Imagawa's BFN/YS/SA's on the same battlefield. You have only Ashi and Teppo, plus whatever else you can scrape together.
    Made a start. Restarted twice after losing Hida turn 2 or 3 (he starts with Heavy Cavalry, really? :p). Now doing very well. They waited 4-5 years to finally attack now (probably depends on the size of your armies -- I quickly turned Hida and Mino into full stacks). Hida first, then Mino (with Tokugawa). Think I did about 1800 kills vs. 800 losses. I took Kawachi, Tamba, Wakasa & Echizen from the Rebels too. Mori gave up our alliance after Takeda attacked me. Now also took Harima and Tajima from Mori. Earning lots of money from Churches. Think victory is nearly secured.

Wondering if I would've won by just abandoning Hida and continuing the game. The income is very minor, and I guess it would just mean I would've fought twice in Mino instead of once in Hida, once in Mino.
    Last edited by Drisos; 01-14-2020 at 14:13.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Wondering if I would've won by just abandoning Hida and continuing the game. The income is very minor, and I guess it would just mean I would've fought twice in Mino instead of once in Hida, once in Mino
    After playing this several times, quitting Hida is what I do. Mino has much more favorable terrain for defense, and you can pick up units from rebellions in Hida.

They waited 4-5 years to finally attack
    You caught a break there.....in my campaigns with Oda 1580, they come in the first four or five turns, sometimes sooner

Think victory is nearly secured
    Wow...sounds like you handled this campaign pretty easily
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai
    After playing this several times, quitting Hida is what I do. Mino has much more favorable terrain for defense, and you can pick up units from rebellions in Hida.

You caught a break there.....in my campaigns with Oda 1580, they come in the first four or five turns, sometimes sooner
    Yes, it's probably for the best. One less region to spread your troops out to would've been welcome too. Perhaps I'll try to replay the first few years to see how stabilizing/winning vs. Takeda & Imagawa turns out when I abandon it.

I was expecting them every turn, but seems like they didn't feel like it. Now I wish I had took notes on exactly what I did, so we could compare and figure out what's causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai
    Wow...sounds like you handled this campaign pretty easily
    Well, turns out I was being optimistic! The campaign got quite hard (and quite interesting!). Imagawa died early on, but soon after that I was at war with all 5 remaining clans at the same time (Hojo unexpectedly invaded me in Shinano, at the same time Takeda and Uesegi jointly tried to take it). Mori and Takeda seemed hellbent on fighting me, even while they were being stabbed in the back. Now Shimazu has taken over the southern front, and he's surprisingly strong. He's won a few battles actually. My best way of dealing with the high quality No-Dachi is shooting them, but it hasn't worked out in every fight. I've retreated to Kawachi, which is impossible to take vs. my 8 units of Musketeers (his first attempt was 600 vs. 0 iirc). We fight in Harima twice a year now. I might just try and kill his bloodline as I'll have Honor 3 ninja's flowing out of Iga in 2 turns.
    Last edited by Drisos; 01-14-2020 at 19:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos View Post
    Twenty awesome years. ;) I also recently played Anno 1602 (released 1998) and Age of Empires II (released 2000).
    Ah yes, I did that the same recently. A good ol' trip down memory lane.

(also AoE2: Definitive Edition)

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

In the 1580 Tokugawa scenario, I abandon Hizen and take Owari once the Oda leave it with a small garrison--with only my nine Battlefield Ninjas! I've found that when I play the battle manually and advance them "unseen" towards the defenders, they usually run away thanks to the fear factor. I then move in a large occupation army (usually the army that was previously in Hizen). The income in Owari more than makes up for the loss of Hizen, and now I don't have to manage a split empire.

STW, with its elegant simplicity, will always be my ultimate favorite. 20 grand years, indeed; it started it all. I play MTW1 more nowadays as it's got more details to occupy my need-to-be-busy brain, but I still go back to STW now and then, and love it every time.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by Togakure View Post
    STW, with its elegant simplicity, will always be my ultimate favorite. 20 grand years, indeed; it started it all. I play MTW1 more nowadays as it's got more details to occupy my need-to-be-busy brain, but I still go back to STW now and then, and love it every time.
    While MTW 1 is my favourite TW game of all time, I absolutely adore the winter-ish music in STW. A bit of a STW soundtrack and maybe a campaign or two during winter times, with snow outside, is bliss.

Proud

Been to:

https://steamdb.info/app/345240/

So about the ownership numbers - between 600.000 and 720 - 750.000 people have bought STW.

20 Years later... I actually get a copy of this now classic. Been a while since I have beenh here too. Lived on MTW 1 for years + VI, then Shogun 1. After the demise of MTW on modern machines (any progress with that) I switched reluctantly to RTW and BI. Then finally to M2TW. That's been it for years and years- till now.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Welcome back to our cosy little place Tony!

Proud

Been to:

2 different Youtubers started 2 different Shogun TW campaigns, a bit of inspiration for the winter that's coming up to maybe dust off that virtual copy and play S:TW!

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos View Post
    I wonder if it'll still work when I ditch Windows 7 for some Linux distribution, btw...
    Just thought I'd pop in and mention that it works decently (at least, for me). I am currently on Ubuntu 20.04. One minor graphical bug, which is fixed by going in and out of menu. Sound/music does some weird things when you Alt-Tab. And the movies aren't loading properly it seems. Perhaps there's some fix for that but I haven't bothered to try. All in all very playable.

A remastered version would be the most moddable TW game and the only TW game that wouldn't crash.
    Wooooo!!!

Judging by the fact that we're going forward with Pharaoh TW, a remastered STW is probably not going to happen. It's been 22 years since then. RTW was far more popular, and it was 3D, making it easier to remaster.

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Judging by the fact that we're going forward with Pharaoh TW, a remastered STW is probably not going to happen. It's been 22 years since then. RTW was far more popular, and it was 3D, making it easier to remaster.

Maybe the original MTW1 has better chances to be remastered at some point? It's more popular and it sold more than STW, at least. What do you think the odds are be in comparison to STW? Are the odds really the same as STW or maybe a little higher?
    Last edited by NikolaTheGreat; 07-11-2023 at 21:38.

https://steamcharts.com/app/345240

Remarkably, there's about 80 - 120 players playing S:TW each month on Steam. Even after 22 years :)

Proud

Been to:

https://www.ign.com/articles/1999/02...the-art-of-war

February 1999 article, highlighting that Shogun was under development. Essentially announcing the game. 25 years ago.

Shogun TW would launch a year later, in June 2000.

Proud

Been to:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123