Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another terrible race motivated attack.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another terrible race motivated attack.

White man (21 yr old) wearing the flags of Rhodesia and South Africa on his clothing, killed nine in a black church in South Carolina, including the pastor. Specifically said before murdering the victims, "I want to kill black people", and that "black people are running the country".

Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof 'wanted to ignite civil war'

http://gu.com/p/4avk6

Watching the Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore, and guests are in agreement that the confederate flag needs to be removed from the capitol and for streets to be renamed something other than the names of confederate generals. To this I say let's go full steam ahead and restart radical reconstruction and eradicate this element of southern culture.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 06-19-2015 at 07:33.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Another terrible race motivated attack.

Removing flags and changing the of streets is stupid, confederates fought for many reasons. Glad they caught the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    confederates fought for many reasons.
    That's a myth the South promotes.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Interesting, his age.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I do have to admit I don't understand the gun control angle. Assuming the gun used was the pistol the shooter's father gave him as a birthday present a few months ago, then it's really unclear to me what sort of targeted gun-control policy could even be relevant.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Well any policy might be good.

Like puppies and pistols don't make good presents.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Member thankful for this post:

Looks like Monty agrees with me. Radical Reconstruction it is.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Looks like Monty agrees with me. Radical Reconstruction it is.
    Or radical denial because what you want doesn't resonate all that well with what is. I haven't checked the numbers but the outcome seems to be a given to you whatever the variables.

Calm down guys, no need to be nasty here. Comparing me to a murderer and calling me a dumbass hurts my feelings.

Blog Entries

Calm down guys, no need to be nasty here. Comparing me to a murderer and calling me a dumbass hurts my feelings.
    Yeah that was going too far. Sorry... though I don't remember comparing you to a murderer.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-21-2015 at 23:11.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    though I don't remember calling you a murderer.
    That was Panzer who did that.

First of all, the point I am making is one I am extrapolating from the views I have read and seen on TV. I wanted to open this thread with that specific point of view to prevent the same old talking points from arising. Second, the point about Denazification is not to eradicate the feelings towards Robert E Lee as a person but to dismantle the post war usage of him and his battle flag as a symbol of segregation and oppression. His name is used no longer as a reminder of brave soldiers doing their duty or as respect for a brilliant general, but as a symbol of the ideological fight to keep white supremacists. Third, the actual policy involves more than just renaming streets but a systematic government audit. And really, this is where I got confused at the responses about suppressing culture because it is about cleaning out the justice system, not about homogenizing the south.

There are actually people who say the flag is a symbol of slavery/segregation for the most part:

http://theweek.com/articles/562004/s...nfederate-flag

Opposition to civil rights legislation, to integration, to miscegenation, to social equality for black people — these are the major plot points that make up the flag's recent history. Not Vietnam. Not opposition to Northern culture or values. Not tourism. Not ObamaCare. Not anything else.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Beskar 

I never knew that about Australia, interesting fact.

This thread was about the treatment of blacks in the US. Why am I not surprised that this simply devolved into another thread for kad to talk about how genetically inferior they are.

Blog Entries

Pointless southern prejudice aside, your opening post failed to give us a topic of discussion that hasn't been done to death.

Perhaps we wouldn't have gone down the familiar paths of conversation if you had started with something a bit more nuanced that "grr southerners, screw em"
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Pointless southern prejudice aside, your opening post failed to give us a topic of discussion that hasn't been done to death.

Perhaps we wouldn't have gone down the familiar paths of conversation if you had started with something a bit more nuanced that "grr southerners, screw em"
    I'm getting tired of the constant chip on your shoulder dude. I opened a topic on the removal of the Confederate flag and the extent to which racist symbols and practices should be removed, particularly in the south. This clearly wasn't as tired as you claim since more respectable people in here like strike and Panzer responded in kind with opinions regarding the degree to which we blame southern culture when it comes to institutional practices and public backlash in the aftermath of tragedies. Others like PVC and monty also brought up points about the morality and efficacy of attempts to alter culture as an outsider.

It is not my fault that you cant separate issues as broad as 'race' into multiple questions to tackle individually. Just like you can't seem to shut the **** up about gamergate every time video games are discussed in a serious manner. The only thread where people stay on topic (Ukraine) is by far the most active and largest thread. So yeah, excuse me for being a tad annoyed at seeing another thread once again end in 40 posts between kad and husar or you and husar.

Blog Entries

I'm getting tired of the constant chip on your shoulder dude. I opened a topic on the removal of the Confederate flag and the extent to which racist symbols and practices should be removed, particularly in the south. This clearly wasn't as tired as you claim since more respectable people in here like strike and Panzer responded in kind with opinions regarding the degree to which we blame southern culture when it comes to institutional practices and public backlash in the aftermath of tragedies. Others like PVC and monty also brought up points about the morality and efficacy of attempts to alter culture as an outsider.

It is not my fault that you cant separate issues as broad as 'race' into multiple questions to tackle individually. Just like you can't seem to shut the **** up about gamergate every time video games are discussed in a serious manner. The only thread where people stay on topic (Ukraine) is by far the most active and largest thread. So yeah, excuse me for being a tad annoyed at seeing another thread once again end in 40 posts between kad and husar or you and husar.
    Christ even by my standards you are whiny.

If your long term memory could extend further than six months you'd know that every racial shooting debate turns into this without intervention. There's been plenty of developments you could have steered the conversation with but you have failed to present one, so frankly you've brought this on yourself.

Here's a bone: a bunch of idiots are calling for everything confederate to be removed:

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu calls for removal of Lee Circle statue.

Group calls for removal of Confederate monument from Lake Eola Park.

‘Gone with the Wind’ should go the way of the Confederate flag.

This whitewashing is even threatening to spill into other centuries:

Jefferson Memorial, Confederate statues enter national race debate

And sadly its starting to actually influence people outside the hugbox:

Dukes of Hazzard Toy Car Axed Amid Confederate Flag Controversy

You want to keep on topic, talk about the topic instead of pissing and moaning.

No disrespect to Husar BTW, keep fighting the good fight.
    Dont forget to work shaft there buddy.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-26-2015 at 17:49.

Blog Entries

Oh and by the way, while you were bitching about the seasonal massacre and subsequent pointless race debate, this was fastracked to the president's desk two days ago:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-...#United_States

Fortunately it's not my country so I can laugh at your race baited ass with impunity.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-26-2015 at 17:38.

Sisyphus much?

I would be more interested in an actual discussion...

Whenever I have time I'll come back with a more serious reply :)

The stars and stripes was not created specifically as a symbol of imperialism or cleansing. Say what you will about the atrocities done under the union flag, the stars and bars is a creation born from slavery and was chosen to identify a nation that held the truth about "the inferior nature of negros".

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

The stars and stripes was not created specifically as a symbol of imperialism or cleansing. Say what you will about the atrocities done under the union flag, the stars and bars is a creation born from slavery and was chosen to identify a nation that held the truth about "the inferior nature of negros".
    The stars and bar is the battle flag of the army of Northern Virginia. It is not the flag of the CSA. The stars and stripes was born from slavery as well, those men very much believed in the inferiority of negros, and the men whom oversaw it's creation were the spearhead on a continent wide ethnic cleansing.

For everybody in the US of A.
    On the inside, all Europeans are dirty little fascists.

Last edited by Strike For The South; 06-26-2015 at 22:00.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

The stars and bar is the battle flag of the army of Northern Virginia. It is not the flag of the CSA. The stars and stripes was born from slavery as well, those men very much believed in the inferiority of negros, and the men whom oversaw it's creation were the spearhead on a continent wide ethnic cleansing.
    It all boils to 50 shades of grey - sure, I guess someone will be insulted by a Unicef flag, or feel wronged by someone or something the flag represents, but we can not use that as an excuse.

I don't believe that only racists like that flag, and I do agree there are people who like that flag and hate slavery and racism, but that is not a good enough reason to keep it. I'm sure there are other ways to express love for southern culture.

On the inside, all Europeans are dirty little fascists.
    You know I can't resist you when you go full Dixie on me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.

banning it from being flown at Government buildings is fine and justified - banning Joe public from flying it if they want is a no no

it infringes their rite to be a backwards racist if they want to
    I wouldn't care much.

Maybe this is because I grew up where I grew up and experienced it all. Symbols are powerful tools.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 06-26-2015 at 22:17.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

The Saltire cross/battleflag of N. Virginia is not the "stars and bars". You should know this.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I'm not sure how the Stars and Stripes holds up under the same standard. Certainly ethnic cleansing, and arguably all out genocide, is on the same level as slavery or worse. Nothing about the current rush to purge all symbols of the Old South stands up to even basic intellectual scrutiny... It's just reactionary populism.
    Nearly every star placed on "Old Glory" got there by the blood of butchered Native Americans, who were systematically stripped of their lands, rights, and dignity; by the blood of exploited railroad & mining workers; by the grief and tears of all those swindled out of their savings by corrupt banks and real estate barons; and by just about every imaginable way that human beings can take advantage of others to fatten their wealth. Don't see anyone calling for its removal from government buildings....

The Rebel flag has come to mean different things for different people since the Civil War. It can certainly connote racial hatred when used by groups like the KKK, etc. My experience has been that the Stars & Bars is simply an expression of personal rebellion. In my college days, one could find the Rebel Flag at student protests, not because we believed in slavery but because we perceived ourselves as rebels fighting against a higher authority. I've also found it to be far more prevalent in rural settings, where folks would really prefer governmental intrusions be kept to a minimum. It's all too easy to point fingers at the stereo-typical tobacco-chewing, gun-toting, whiskey-drinking, truck-driving Southerner, and forget about all the more benign uses of it that have absolutely nothing to do with slavery or racial hatred.

Government buildings are an inappropriate place for it, as are any items, like auto plates, that can be identified as government regulated. But this ridiculous attempt to purge it from monuments, toys, and even video games is not only asinine, but insanely hypocritical when one scrutinizes America's past......
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    The Saltire cross/battleflag of N. Virginia is not the "stars and bars". You should know this.
    When the flag was resurected post war that's what it was tied to. Lees own flag was different but the stars and bars was carried as a part of his army. I didn't realize we were giving out medals for pendantry.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

The founding Fathers were more diverse than that. You can find it in the language that many wished to suppress or remove slavery. The constitution gave slavery protection for only twenty years at which point congress banned the import of new slaves as soon as the protection expired. These compromises and the actions of early congress show more nuance than you give them.

The founding Fathers were more diverse than that. You can find it in the language that many wished to suppress or remove slavery. The constitution gave slavery protection for only twenty years at which point congress banned the import of new slaves as soon as the protection expired. These compromises and the actions of early congress show more nuance than you give them.
    And the CSA was more diverse than that but it doesn't change the centerpiece for either side.

I don't believe that only racists like that flag, and I do agree there are people who like that flag and hate slavery and racism, but that is not a good enough reason to keep it. I'm sure there are other ways to express love for southern culture.
    In theory it can not and does not fly over any government buildings. South Carolina got around that by designating something as a "memorial". I'm all for that, treason should have consequences.

My bigger issue is the deliberate whitewashing of history.

You know I can't resist you when you go full Dixie on me...

:)

Last edited by Strike For The South; 06-26-2015 at 22:19.

And the CSA was more diverse than that but it doesn't change the centerpiece for either side.
    Was it? I am willing to hear the case that the CSA was more than an attempt by gentry to preserve regional economics based on slave labor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast