Thread: A Humble Proposal about Jews

Default A Humble Proposal about Jews

In EB1, I was a big fan of Ioudaioi Taxeis : I liked the fact they were a unit unique, with 200 guys instead of 160 (making them > thureophoroi) and for RP reasons.
    Since EB2, Seleukids and Lagids can recruit them everywhere by building tier 3 strategic fortificiation "Jewish Garrison" : the building can be built everywhere by these 2 factions as long as they control Judea when they launch the construction. I love the concept, but it's a bit costly to do this just for a medium tier unit that ca be recruited once every 50 turns (yeah, once you recruit the 2 units in the initial pool, you gain 0.02 unit every turn... a bit low IMHO).
    What I suggest is to make the Jewish Garrison giving 1 or 2 free upkeep for Ioudaioi Taxeis, making a bit of incentive for using them. (I love RP, but I'm not sure I would pays 10K denars per province for having this unit).

Is it technically possible ? (I don't realley understand how the game handles free upkeep)
    What do you think about it ?
    (If it is possible but the team doesn't want to do it : Do I just have to put a line in the EDB ? Or is it harder to code ?)

Members thankful for this post (2):

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Default Re: A Humble Proposal about Jews

Very nice idea - especially given the fact that the Jewish Garrison already has "upkeep" for the building, it would be only fair to provide free upkeep for the unit.

Member thankful for this post:

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

They're already a free_upkeep_unit. I integrated this change into 2.03h's EDB, so they are now free in Jewish Garrisons.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Oh, nice !
    I'm still playing a 2014 version, I wait summer release before upgrading EB2 :D

Quote Originally Posted by bisthebis View Post
    Oh, nice !
    I'm still playing a 2014 version, I wait summer release before upgrading EB2 :D
    Battles are awful in the 2014 version; I'd highly recommend switching to 2.03 - possibly wait a couple of days for 2.03i which has some wholesale changes in it.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Really ? I actually quite like these battles. Nevertheless, I'll try out next version as soon as I can go to my computer in 7 days :)
    I'm quite disturbed by versioning. What will be the number of the big summer update ?

Quote Originally Posted by bisthebis View Post
    Really ? I actually quite like these battles. Nevertheless, I'll try out next version as soon as I can go to my computer in 7 days :)
    I'm quite disturbed by versioning. What will be the number of the big summer update ?
    The differences are like night and day; phalanxes didn't work, unit cohesion and cavalry charges were broken, elephants were all over the place, javelin skirmishers wouldn't throw their javelins, the list goes on and on. Fixing the battle-space problems is what got me into modding EBII in the first place, and eventually on the development team.

The summer release will be EBII v2.1.

All these testing versions are 2.0x. Currently 2.03i.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

yeah, if it weren't for Quintus' and Z3n's help, the stats I devised for the units would have been incompletely implemented by this stage, as well as the bugs regarding missiles and the like.

Now, the system I have (with modifications), is standard to virtually all units, and with z3n and Quintus' changes to battlespace, AI, etc, combat is much closer to how it was intended (though naturally not perfect: we have a poor engine to deal with )
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Did you sort out the charge when attacking a unit when the unit is running perpendicular to where you placed the attack marker at first, they sometimes acutally hit the opponents now. In rome 1 they would follow them. I just want to know can you change it?
    Last edited by Lizardo; 07-21-2015 at 13:28.